Acknowledge peoples replies please!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread is interesting and the thing that stands out for me is that fact that we all live in different parts of the world.

For instance, I just started a thread asking a question about Spiral Nails. It is 8.46 am Friday morning here and I posted it in between getting my kids ready for school. I checked on here to see if anyone replied and they had so I put a quick thank you and Im about to log off for the day.

If things had gotten busy here at home, like they always do in the mornings :irked: , I probably would have logged off before checking and wouldnt have logged on until around 9.30 tonight so it would have looked like I was being "Rude". But that's life and as much as we all love this site, we DO have real lives that need to be lived. lol

So, consider the time differences when jumping the gun on whose rude or not, it might just take longer for them to get back to the original question. xxx
With all due respect I was not expecting an immediate reply or not even perhaps the same day,when it happens a few days later,or you continue to see the geek that has asked the original question still geeking 3 hours later with no acknowledgement whatsoever to your reply then that's when there is an issue.

I know we all have busy lives.I work in a salon,have 3 kids,hubby in Forces so I am more than busy but I still manage to say thanks,check my threads that I started,I always acknowledge,maybe even a couple of days later but the acknowledgements there all the same.

It's common courtesy.I'm not just talking about saying THANKS.I would like to reiterate this.This is NOT the issue.Just show the geeks some gratitude when they take the trouble to dig deep and search for that question they may not instantly know the answer to.They dont have to answer geeks questions.Its a real effort sometimes on the replying geeks side.

I think more effort should be put in,after all how would geeks feel if nobody replied to their questions?Not very happy I am sure,then what......another question and bumping up threads to ask why nobody answering.xx

Thought id bump this up ! :green::!:

I received rep a couple of days ago to a post I did in April!:green: Obviously the geek in question hadn't been around for a while and I thought it was really sweet of them to take the time to rep me 2 months down the line. Bless!:hug:

I never thought about checking my profile for replies. What a div!

Since this has been resurrected and I must admit I have not read the thread but from a mods point of view we do not want posts which say only "thank you" or even worse than that "I have Pmd you".

Also we do not know how people respond to posts - I have asked questions on here and someone has answered, I have then repped them my thanks, but from the thread it looks like I have not acknowledged their help, but they know I have.

Hope that makes sense.

** Ok I have read it all now and I think the feedback side of things is great and only polite **

I am also guilty of this

I like to wait for a few replies before Iactually say thank you, You cant say thank you to each time some one post a reply to you thread.:lol:

I am also finding on this site that people are been too rude and personal. iI thought it was a site for people who share the same passion to come together and help each other out.

Not to pick or dig in to their personal life and make rude comments about whats right and wrong.

:lol:

I hope I have helped out a few geeks recently when they have asked questions and I have pm'ed them with info they have asked for. Some (and you know who you are) have sent a return pm to say thanks and your thanks are appreciated.

Others just haven't bothered, even when I have gone to a lot of trouble to get answers/send stuff to them - now that narks me.

I hope when someone has helped me out that I have remembered to say thanks, if I haven't this is my public apology and I will try harder in future.

I am also finding on this site that people are been too rude and personal. iI thought it was a site for people who share the same passion to come together and help each other out.

Not to pick or dig in to their personal life and make rude comments about whats right and wrong.

:lol:

shame you feel that way...having looked at your previous posts i cant see any evidence of this..??

enjoy the site regardless...:hug:

Since this has been resurrected and I must admit I have not read the thread but from a mods point of view we do not want posts which say only "thank you" or even worse than that "I have Pmd you".

Also we do not know how people respond to posts - I have asked questions on here and someone has answered, I have then repped them my thanks, but from the thread it looks like I have not acknowledged their help, but they know I have.

Hope that makes sense.

** Ok I have read it all now and I think the feedback side of things is great and only polite **

I am also guilty of this

I like to wait for a few replies before Iactually say thank you, You cant say thank you to each time some one post a reply to you thread.:lol:

I was actually considering putting a thread on the other day about some threads asking for help....getting loads of helpful advice....and yet nothing ever heard from the thread starter again!!!:irked:

So I am glad this has been bumped up. Not to start a nitpicking excercise (keep that in the Hair forum:lol:)...but just to let geeks know that it can be even better for us all to know what piece of advice actually worked...and what was a load of twoddle (as if!!!:eek:)

FEEDBACK........its a good thing....try it!!.......but as Fiona rightly states...don't do the Thanks hun....Thanks :hug:...every other post as that just clogs up the forum...and we can't see the good helpful, factual posts for the "thanks awfully" ones.

You know it makes sense......

I am also finding on this site that people are been too rude and personal. I thought it was a site for people who share the same passion to come together and help each other out.

I don't know where you've seen the "picking and digging" but as and/or when it does happen it's quite rare!

You're right regarding the fact that this is a site for people to share their passion and whom come together to help each other out, this site is the world's largest online community for salon professionals and it's happened due to the passion we all share regardless of which part of the salon we're associated with.

Getting back to the reason for the thread... it's only right to acknowledge help we've been offered but we have to ensure we don't get a thread full of thank you's.
If we feel the help and/or advice offered has helped us a lot we can give a positive rep, to do so click the green box at the right hand side of the reply you wish to give reputation to :green:

so why are you looking in to my post just because iv made a comment on something, Is that what happens on here.

Every one has diferent opinions and i don't mean to come across as being rude.

What is wrong with some people:cry:

so why are you looking in to my post just because iv made a comment on something, Is that what happens on here.

Every one has diferent opinions and i don't mean to come across as being rude.

What is wrong with some people:cry:

You are very new to the site, and as yet haven't got to know us all, and our ways...and humour !!.
We tend to all try and help where we can. sometimes reading through a persons previous posts gives us a better idea of how they tick, and we get a better take on their answers.
I know I do it a lot!!!:eek:
I think if you looked back on Angie's posts...aka Bagpuss, you will see how kind and helpful she is, and that she is one of the more diplomatic geeks on site, and that she was only trying to help here.

I don't want to take this off topic though...as I think the main subject is an important one.

I would like to apologise and I didnt mean to offend anyone and if i did I am truly sorry.

Sorry :cry:

I would like to apologise and I didnt mean to offend anyone and if i did I am truly sorry.

Sorry :cry:
No problem :hug: I feel sure nobody will hold it against you x

no offence taken here chick..xx

And thank you izzy...:hug:

Unfortunately, going off topic slightly, i think it is the way of the world to a certain degree. Okay, i am making myself sound old now. :)

I won't go into specifics, but since being on this site, i have sent various products to people for different reasons, having things stolen etc, and often get people emailing me for a charity event etc, all of which i have been happy to send out to people at my own cost.

I would say, the people that actually take the time to thank me is about 30%, maybe even less! :eek:

So, i have had to toughen up, and learn to say "no, sorry", because i find it quite upsetting to be honest. How long does it take to send someone an email?

Manners cost nothing, but my products and postage does!

Phew, i feel better for that little moan :) thanks

Back on topic now folks

I am a stickler for manners and teaching the 'magic' words of please and thank you...as previously mentioned manners cost nothing.

I always try to say thank youand wherever possible leave pos rep for helpful and thoughtful geeks.

However, on the other side...I posted a topic last week and 2 people replied with great help (burgundy flowers). I said thanks, left rep etc...but I haven't been online since the weekend (I think) and I haven't checked tonight if there are any further replies (will do that in a moment)

By now last week's post will take some finding and is probably 10+ pages back...I personally would feel very hesitant about saying thanks on the thread because it would BUMP it back up...and there isn't a need for it to be 'bumped'. I also feel if I did this that it would upset some geeks.:eek:

Hope this made sense...

Unfortunately, going off topic slightly, i think it is the way of the world to a certain degree. Okay, i am making myself sound old now. :)

I won't go into specifics, but since being on this site, i have sent various products to people for different reasons, having things stolen etc, and often get people emailing me for a charity event etc, all of which i have been happy to send out to people at my own cost.

I would say, the people that actually take the time to thank me is about 30%, maybe even less! :eek:

So, i have had to toughen up, and learn to say "no, sorry", because i find it quite upsetting to be honest. How long does it take to send someone an email?

Manners cost nothing, but my products and postage does!

Phew, i feel better for that little moan :) thanks

Back on topic now folks
I agree with you here suey and yep, I'm probably showing my age too, lol. 'It's the way of the world'. I personally don't think it has always been like this. I grew up in Southern Africa so can only comment on my upbringing there, as I don't know what it was like here in UK. Good manners and respect were impressed upon us and there was a line which we dared not cross. It did me absolutely no harm and I honestly cringe when I see how peeps nowadays, sadly lack basic manners and common decency.

I am a stickler for manners and teaching the 'magic' words of please and thank you...as previously mentioned manners cost nothing.

I always try to say thank youand wherever possible leave pos rep for helpful and thoughtful geeks.

However, on the other side...I posted a topic last week and 2 people replied with great help (burgundy flowers). I said thanks, left rep etc...but I haven't been online since the weekend (I think) and I haven't checked tonight if there are any further replies (will do that in a moment)

By now last week's post will take some finding and is probably 10+ pages back...I personally would feel very hesitant about saying thanks on the thread because it would BUMP it back up...and there isn't a need for it to be 'bumped'. I also feel if I did this that it would upset some geeks.:eek:

Hope this made sense...

I don't think anyone holds this against you dobermum :hug:. We understand that most of us lead busy lives and can't get on to the site everyday or week even. But there are definitely peeps who litereally post once or twice only, or once in a blue moon, and then you never hear from them again. No thanks, no feedback, nothing!

I tend to give peeps 2 or 3 days to answer a thread I have posted. If I think personal thanks and reps are due then I pm them, but I also usually try to show closure to a thread by giving a generalized 'thank you' to everybody for their contributions. Yes this does bump the thread up, but this is not the intention. Personally I think it is important to end with a thanks to all and then just let the thread wander off into the back ground.

Latest posts

Back