Acknowledge peoples replies please!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i agree, i do try and remember to thank people if they have helpe me or replied to my post, if not on the thread i either rep them or send them a pm xxxx

I have also found this can happen........
and yes you are right Sandi maybe newer geeks are unsure of the way the site works...
Heck I had to ask something on site assistance the other night!!!...and I ain't no newbie!

But you don't even need to subscribe to one of your own threads to keep tabs on it...If I have started a thread I always check it first when I log on...just by going into my profile and clicking on 'Threads started by Izzidoll'..This is not rocket science!
I also have a click on 'all posts by Izzidoll' too just in case my comments have been answered or referred too.

I don't think this thread is about the thanks...it is about the feedback.....If you put a thread on asking advice about anything...I know if I answer I want to know if my advice worked for them......LIKE

Thread: I have a very sore finger...what should I do?
Answer: Cut it off!
Feedback: Thanks I have no more pain since I cut it off...but I can no longer pick my nose!!
You have said it in a nutshell,Izzi,this is what I am talking about,not so much the thanks for a reply(although obviously that would be nice as well)but actually showing that you have noted someone has gone to the trouble to actually answer your reply.

It's not hard,is it:?: :?:

Sorry guys but I have to slightly disagree with you all on this one and I know that will ern me loads of neg rep!!!

I am probably the worst person for not saying thanks. And it is not cause I am rude or don't appreciate it, most of the time it is because I am so keen to go and try out the new technique or tip that I just forget - does this make me a bad person?

Also I think that if I PM'd or posted a thankyou after every reply I recieved I would spend a lot of time that I don't have saying thanks. I tend to wait until I have a few replys on a post and then do a big thank you to everyone.

Neither do I have time to look up all the posts I have replied to to see if I have been thanked. It really doesn't bother me. I have been here a couple of months now and had some really great advice from fellow geeks that has helped me immensly, I like to think that I return my gratitude by helping other geeks where I can.

I am not saying that we shouldn't say thanks, I am just saying that everyone's circumstances are different and maybe not everyone should be judged as rude or inconsiderate just because they don't say thanks. After all if they really were horrible people do you think they would come to this site in the first place??

I think it is a case of those that think it applies to them thank people when they should (and probably more) - and those that dont acknowledge and thank others dont think that this applies to them anyway so wont take any notice!

Were are after all human beings and it wouldnt be the same world if we were all had the same personalities!

I agree. Its only good manners to say thank you or acknowledge that someone has taken time out of their day and busy schedule to answer a question to the best of their knowledge to help you. It costs nothing to show apprecitation but shows a lot about a person.
xxx:Love:

Sorry guys but I have to slightly disagree with you all on this one and I know that will ern me loads of neg rep!!!

I am probably the worst person for not saying thanks. And it is not cause I am rude or don't appreciate it, most of the time it is because I am so keen to go and try out the new technique or tip that I just forget - does this make me a bad person?

Also I think that if I PM'd or posted a thankyou after every reply I recieved I would spend a lot of time that I don't have saying thanks. I tend to wait until I have a few replys on a post and then do a big thank you to everyone.

Neither do I have time to look up all the posts I have replied to to see if I have been thanked. It really doesn't bother me. I have been here a couple of months now and had some really great advice from fellow geeks that has helped me immensly, I like to think that I return my gratitude by helping other geeks where I can.

I am not saying that we shouldn't say thanks, I am just saying that everyone's circumstances are different and maybe not everyone should be judged as rude or inconsiderate just because they don't say thanks. After all if they really were horrible people do you think they would come to this site in the first place??

Why not give postitive rep to people that have helped you instead then ?

So if 2 people reply you can go through the replies quickly & rep with just a thanks, then your name or like you say a big "thank you" is great if you've got loads of people & to pm each person takes to much time.

Thats a nice way to say thankyou too. maybe that is what has been done and when we go back and read a thread it looks like they have been not thanked. Who knows.
:Love:

I have not called anyone rude or inconsiderate but I think that it is very inconsiderate not to reply when you have asked for help,advice ect on a subject and you dont bother due to 'your circumstances',

You may think you repay other geeks by helping other geeks,but what about all us geeks that you havn't helped and never likely to help?

I think your attitude is wrong and I also think that you,along with other gulity geeks would probably be the first to complain if you got no replies to your questioning threads.

I think if you have enough time to sit at your pc and ask a question,then you should have enough time to show a bit of courtesy and either let geeks know how you got on with regards to the advice you received or give some feedback.

Judging by all the replies on this subject a lot of people feel the same way as me.

It's not about take,take,take and what an attitude eh!It is rude if you dont say thanks.Nothing short of.

I will add,that you have misunderstood what I have said anyway,as I was not talking about saying thanks.I was talking about acknowledgements.But thanks is also a BIG issue for a lot of polite people.

I take time to thank peeps for their help (even if a few days late) or acknowledge support or give feedback from advice given. Occasionally I may slip up (it's human).

Well after I left school I tracked down a few of my senior school teachers. I had valued the advice and support they had given me and wanted to let them know how I had moved forward positively in my life. I KNOW they appreciated that and they all admitted they loved it when their old pupils came back to fill them in with their news and introduce their partners and children. After all, these teachers helped shape us and our futures.

So many peeps on this site (myself included) rave about the help and support and advice we receive. Acknowledgement need not be a page long. It can be short and sweet, yet like a smile, it can positively affect ones outlook.

When a child is given a 'sweet' they quickly want to pop it into their mouth and run off with delight as you do with your excitement to try out something new. It takes a few seconds to acknowledge this little gift and say 'thank you'. As adults we often need to stop the child and remind them of this.

I take time to thank peeps for their help (even if a few days late) or acknowledge support or give feedback from advice given. Occasionally I may slip up (it's human).

Well after I left school I tracked down a few of my senior school teachers. I had valued the advice and support they had given me and wanted to let them know how I had moved forward positively in my life. I KNOW they appreciated that and they all admitted they loved it when their old pupils came back to fill them in with their news and introduce their partners and children. After all, these teachers helped shape us and our futures.

So many peeps on this site (myself included) rave about the help and support and advice we receive. Acknowledgement need not be a page long. It can be short and sweet, yet like a smile, it can positively affect ones outlook.

When a child is given a 'sweet' they quickly want to pop it into their mouth and run off with delight as you do with your excitement to try out something new. It takes a few seconds to acknowledge this little gift and say 'thank you'. As adults we often need to stop the child and remind them of this.
I agree with everything you have written Tracy,you have worded this perfectly.:hug:

What makes you think that I am never likely to help you Babsann?

Today I gave an old couple my parking ticket in town so they didn't have to pay. I also let a heavily pregnant lady onto a till in in front of me and I always raise my hand in thanks when oncoming vehicles have let me pass regardless of whether it is my right of way or not, so I would say that most of the time I am a pretty nice person.

I am however crap at sending out thankyou cards after my children or I have received gifts, I quite often forget peoples birthdays this does not make me a bad person or rude.

I think it is quite unfair that the kind of person we are is judged by opinions on this site. I have said thankyou and let people know how I have got on on many of the posts I have received. I just haven't done it on all of them.

There is not one person on here that knows me or what may or may not be going on in my life at one particular time so it is unfair to state that "circumstances" are not appropriate.

I posted some threads a couple of weeks ago that I have not said thanks to or acknowledged. At the time my dad had been taken into hospital with a heart complaint and we all having a tough time I think reasons like this are valid enough not to reply without it appearing that I am rude.

Today I gave an old couple my parking ticket in town so they didn't have to pay. I also let a heavily pregnant lady onto a till in in front of me and I always raise my hand in thanks when oncoming vehicles have let me pass regardless of whether it is my right of way or not, so I would say that most of the time I am a pretty nice person.

I am however crap at sending out thankyou cards after my children or I have received gifts, I quite often forget peoples birthdays this does not make me a bad person or rude.

I think it is quite unfair that the kind of person we are is judged by opinions on this site. I have said thankyou and let people know how I have got on on many of the posts I have received. I just haven't done it on all of them.

There is not one person on here that knows me or what may or may not be going on in my life at one particular time so it is unfair to state that "circumstances" are not appropriate.

I posted some threads a couple of weeks ago that I have not said thanks to or acknowledged. At the time my dad had been taken into hospital with a heart complaint and we all having a tough time I think reasons like this are valid enough not to reply without it appearing that I am rude.
You yourself have said,that you dont reply to threads or say thanks because"
I am so keen to go and try out new techniques or tips I just FORGET".

I think it does make someone rude if they dont say thankyou,sorry,how would you define rude Florence?

If you managed to come on here to geek,when your Dad was ill with a heart complaint then you are quite capable to say a thankyou or acknowledge a reply to other geeks.After all how can it be okay to switch on your pc,geek away,but not acknowledge people or say thanks.

Your Father being in hospital is sad,yes but it didn't stop you geeking did it Florence?

There's no excuse for rudeness.If you come on here to ask questions then you are more than capable to say cheers or at the very least acknowledge peoples replies.It's not hard for goodness sake,Nobody is asking for a lot,just COMMON COURTESY.

Oh and just to add,one of my family members is seriously ill at the moment,hence why I havn't been on much recently but I have still replied to everyone or anyone that has had the courtesy to answer anything I have asked.

Just to split hairs I posted before he went into hospital and wasn't on here at all whilst he was in.

I had more important things to worry about than geeking.

(waving a little white flag)....you have both made your own personal point and i would hate for this thread to turn...so can we agree to dissagree...pweease..xxx...

Just to split hairs I posted before he went into hospital and wasn't on here at all whilst he was in.

I had more important things to worry about than geeking.

Okay Florence,whatever,you were the one who said you didint bother replying to people because you couldn't wait to try out things,not me,or anybody else.

The issue isn't about when,what when your Dad was in hospital,I have always acknowledged people,you choose not to because you are "too excited about getting off and trying all the different tips people have given you".Says it all I think.

Anyway,end of.Got a bit silly now I think.Sorry Angie,you are right xx

I don't think BabSann is refering to an occasional slip up here. As I already said, sometimes I slip up, but on the whole I try to acknowledge, peeps advice, help, support.

Let me give you a wee example. My toddler attended a birthday party. I was quite generous with the gift as I know the little birthday girl quite well. After the birthday I received no acknowledgement of the pressie but the mum spotted me a couple of weeks later. She enthusiastically waved and said, "Thank you soooo much for the pressie. Her daughter loved it". Now I know this mum is single plus works a full time job. I know that 'life can get in the way sometimes' but often it just takes a few kind words to make a huge difference. I left happy knowing my gift was appreciated.

If queries and questions for help are responded to with acknowledgement and feedback, then other peeps, especially newbies and less experienced can know that the advice worked and can, therefore, feel confident in trying it out for themselves. If there is no feed back, then we are all left feeling, 'well what was the outcome?' AND 'I am non the wiser!'

Fruitless!

Yes in my particular case I get a bit over excited and forget to say thanks and i don't know how to use the rep points either.

I will make a concious effort in the future to acknowledge posts and or say thank you.

What i was trying to say was not everyone is alike. There are those who don't say thanks because they are rude. There are those (like me I hope) who are not intentionally rude but don't always think of these things and there are people who have things going on in their lives which puts saying thanks for some advice to the back of their minds - that doesn't make them rude either.

Those who fall into the second 2 catagories like me have taken on board your comments and will try harder in the future but it is not intentional rudeness

Yes in my particular case I get a bit over excited and forget to say thanks and i don't know how to use the rep points either.

I will make a concious effort in the future to acknowledge posts and or say thank you.

What i was trying to say was not everyone is alike. There are those who don't say thanks because they are rude. There are those (like me I hope) who are not intentionally rude but don't always think of these things and there are people who have things going on in their lives which puts saying thanks for some advice to the back of their minds - that doesn't make them rude either.

Those who fall into the second 2 catagories like me have taken on board your comments and will try harder in the future but it is not intentional rudeness
Thanks for pointing this out. I must admit though that personally, I do think that peeps who HABITUALLY don't acknowledge responses or say 'thank you' are rude. It is courtesy irrespective of reasons.

We are all very busy and have loads going on in our lives. We still need to remember the small important things which make a huge difference. Enough said now! I'm off to cook dinner xx

This thread is interesting and the thing that stands out for me is that fact that we all live in different parts of the world.

For instance, I just started a thread asking a question about Spiral Nails. It is 8.46 am Friday morning here and I posted it in between getting my kids ready for school. I checked on here to see if anyone replied and they had so I put a quick thank you and Im about to log off for the day.

If things had gotten busy here at home, like they always do in the mornings :irked: , I probably would have logged off before checking and wouldnt have logged on until around 9.30 tonight so it would have looked like I was being "Rude". But that's life and as much as we all love this site, we DO have real lives that need to be lived. lol

So, consider the time differences when jumping the gun on whose rude or not, it might just take longer for them to get back to the original question. xxx

I totally agree but I've subscribed to several threads over the past few weeks and I haven't been notified of any replies. It seems that it isn't working properly. I know it's a pain when people ask a question then vansih but maybe this might be the reasson (for some of us anyway), xxx

Latest posts

Back