Acknowledge peoples replies please!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABSann

Reaction score
Hi,not long ago I did a thread about saying "thanks",to people when you have asked for help and geeks have given it.

Again I have noticed people are asking questions on here,geeks are responding,myself included and then there is absolutely nothing.

Sometimes I have checked to see if the person asking the question is still online and usually they are.

Whatever happened to manners?Sorry to sound like a moaning minnie but if someone's good enough to reply to your thread then it is polite to say "thanks",or to give some kind of feed back,i.e you dont agree,you do agree,or you hadn't thought of that.

Moan over.:irked:

Gotta say this annoys me as well - but then I think, if it helps one person besides the person asking for help, then I have been an assett to the site :green: Manners don't cost anything and a quick thank you can make someone happy:green:

i do agree with you and think its nice when peeps say thanks...but for the sake of the site i can see why sending a pm/pager to say thanks is better than on the thread cos of space saving and clogging threads up...i do hear and understand what your saying though xxx

i do agree with you and think its nice when peeps say thanks...but for the sake of the site i can see why sending a pm/pager to say thanks is better than on the thread cos of space saving and clogging threads up...i do hear and understand what your saying though xxx
Pager's are good,or pm's yes I agree,it's more about when peeps ask a question,i.e they have a skin issue(example only)and you answer,and then the geek never says another word on the matter.

Sometimes I have read where geeks have tried to get a bit more background on a particular thread and they dont ever get anymore response.

Makes you wonder if the geek actually really had a real problem at all or if they just thought up a non exsistant problem,maybe they were a bit bored eh!!!

Who knows????:rolleyes:

Pager's are good,or pm's yes I agree,it's more about when peeps ask a question,i.e they have a skin issue(example only)and you answer,and then the geek never says another word on the matter.

Sometimes I have read where geeks have tried to get a bit more background on a particular thread and they dont ever get anymore response.

Makes you wonder if the geek actually really had a real problem at all or if they just thought up a non exsistant problem,maybe they were a bit bored eh!!!

Who knows????:rolleyes:

ahhh yeah i see...i did a thread about this so,e time back called feedback please...it would be nice to hear if our suggestions worked or if someone did what was advised and said how it went....xx

I thought there had been a thread saying don't do it, pm people or rep them but I can't find it. Must have imagined it!!

I thought there had been a thread saying don't do it, pm people or rep them but I can't find it. Must have imagined it!!

I wasn't saying everyone should say Thanks,and causing endless threads saying thanks,I'm just saying for example,if someone says,"I have been getting terrible headaches,anyone know what the cause may be?",someone then pipes up,"hey,have you been under a lot of stress lately?",then..........................:zzz: Nothing,no answer,then another geek asks something or suggests a new tablet,then still nothing.

This to me is not polite,and I think it's happening more and more just lately.Puts you off answering the known culprits I can tell you.:irked:

Just to say off to bed now,not being rude,lol xx

I possibly may be guilty of this the only reason i dont carry on is if i have been away a while and the thread is a few pages on it bumps it back to the beginning again didnt think about sending a pm but will do in future im always very grateful its probably new geeks please be patient with us.

I agree, It would be polite to answer peeps responses even if the thread was closed by a ' thank you for your replies. I am working on your suggestions' or ' I tried your suggestions and feel I have improved' etc.....

It often helps others to know that replies to a thread helped or did not help with a query.

I have to pipe up and add my 2 cents worth (as expected LMAO)...

I find a lot of the time newer Geeks who have no experience of the site tend to lose the threads they've started, can't find their threads and hence can't reply...

This could be remedied by peeps subscribing to their threads, I did a step by step article on subscribing to threads...
http://www.salongeek.com/how-do-stuff-site/33674-lost-your-thread-subscribe-them.html

I've got to agree though, as in Angie's Feedback thread, it's nice to find out how peeps get on, especially if it's a professional query thats been answered to but the poster hasn't replied to, it tends to be slightly annoying and frustrating for the peeps who have bothered to take the time to reply to then not have any outcome from their advice or the advice given by other peeps.

I have to agree with most of whats been said here....I love feeling as though I can help someone on here, as in my early days I received a lot of god advice. And I searched for it first! Didn't just pile in with any old questions to get my post count up, as I suspect a few people may be doing!

And many a time I've gone out of my way to dig up info, on here, on the internet or even sit and try something for an hour to be able give an opinion or answer...and then there's not even an acknowledgement! I've also spent ages pm'ing people with answer to a lot of specific queries and they don't even reply.

That said, I do defend the fact that there are some truly VERY polite geeks on here, who always pm or rep when you help them, and to them (you know who you are!!) I take may hat off, and hope this doesn't put you off asking me, cos I love it when you do and I can help!

I have also found this can happen........
and yes you are right Sandi maybe newer geeks are unsure of the way the site works...
Heck I had to ask something on site assistance the other night!!!...and I ain't no newbie!

But you don't even need to subscribe to one of your own threads to keep tabs on it...If I have started a thread I always check it first when I log on...just by going into my profile and clicking on 'Threads started by Izzidoll'..This is not rocket science!
I also have a click on 'all posts by Izzidoll' too just in case my comments have been answered or referred too.

I don't think this thread is about the thanks...it is about the feedback.....If you put a thread on asking advice about anything...I know if I answer I want to know if my advice worked for them......LIKE

Thread: I have a very sore finger...what should I do?
Answer: Cut it off!
Feedback: Thanks I have no more pain since I cut it off...but I can no longer pick my nose!!

I have also found this can happen........
and yes you are right Sandi maybe newer geeks are unsure of the way the site works...
Heck I had to ask something on site assistance the other night!!!...and I ain't no newbie!

But you don't een need to subscribe to one of your own threads to keep tabs on it...If I have started a thread I always check it first when I log on...just by going into my profile and clicking on 'Threads started by Izzidoll'..This is not rocket science!I also have a click on 'all posts by Izzidoll' too just in case my comments have been answered or referred too.

I don't think this thread is about the thanks...it is about the feedback.....If you put a thread on asking advice about anything...I know if I answer I want to know if my advice worked for them......LIKE

Thread: I have a very sore finger...what should I do?
Answer: Cut it off!
Feedback: Thanks I have no more pain since I cut it off...but I can no longer pick my nose!!

i do the looking at my profile to get my threads too
hopefully i reply to them and i know that i try to give rep when i can.... but sometimes ive repped too much and cant rep again for 24 hrs
... which can mean that sometimes it gets left but i do try to page or pm ppl too... and sorry if i didnt!

I'm sure that this thread probably triggered a little guilt in quite a few people.

I do hope I haven't offended too often - If I have it is because I spend too much time on here commenting on too many threads.

Have to admit it never occurred to me to check my own posts duh !

I live and learn

I think this is something we are all guilty of at times.

I know it made me think about the threads where i'd asked for advice and to give me piece of mind I have just gone back on them to make sure.

I apologise to those I didnt acknowledge quicker! Will try and do better next time!

x x x
:hug:

I totally agree babs, i don't expect a thank you if its something tiny but if ive actually gone & got the info to help someone & they don't say thanks it does put me off a bit !

I always appreciate the help and advice given to me on here and hopefully I haven't forgotten to say thanks - if I have, I'm sorry and I'm saying it now :hug: :hug: .

It can be a bit confusing to newbies (and oldies) to know the right way to do it when some threads say "don't clog up the web space" and others advise PMing or REPing. Which is the best way???
:confused:

It can be a bit confusing to newbies (and oldies) to know the right way to do it when some threads say "don't clog up the web space" and others advise PMing or REPing. Which is the best way???
http://www.salongeek.com/how-do-stuff-site/31101-commandments-geek.html

3 - Thou shalt Private Message if thy post is for one person.
Posts like 'hey sally, give me a buzz' is like texting 10,000 people in hopes that one of them will be the person you are trying to talk to. If your message is for 1 person, PM it. If its for more, post it!​
If you're message of thanks is meant for one person then a private message is best, other wise it's like sending a message to ALL of the members on the site...
however, if you've been given advice to try something different and see how you get on with it then it's nice to hear the outcome from the advice given...
did the advice work?
did you try something different?
did you achieve the end result, and if so how?

It's good for those peeps who have given advice to know if it worked or not.

so would messages of congratulations, and good luck be better on a PM, rather than loads of folks saying the same thing to one person??

so would messages of congratulations, and good luck be better on a PM, rather than loads of folks saying the same thing to one person??
The NailGeek, HairGeek and SkinGeek forums are the 'professional' forums, they are the main ones where the 'one liner rule' is adhered to, as opposed to the ChitChat forum.

If someone has posted in the ChitChat forum to say they've passed their exams etc then it's perfectly fine to reply with messages of congratulations.

Latest posts

Back