Acrylic allergy? Layers of nail peeled off upon removal..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessicles

Reaction score
I had a new client recently who had never had acrylic before, and got them for her wedding. After she got home from her honeymoon, she called to tell me she only had half left, the rest "fell off", and that the nails looked terrible underneath. So I went into the "Oh dear, how did that happen?" speech and how a nail won't be damaged if it's not attached, and if it WAS attached, then it had to have been forced off. I just chalked it up to a fibbing client and offered to do a new set (which I would charge for) and she took me up on the offer. When she came in, they were indeed missing a few layers of nail on each of the ones that were off, and the remaining ones were lifting a bit. This is not normal for me, so I'm quite sure it's not application. I assumed that the nails were damaged because of her forcing them off. So I told her I would file down the remaining nails and do a new set using forms, which she thought might help. I was sure it wouldn't. I informed her that some people just can't wear acrylic, and I'd hate for her nails to end up MORE damaged after another application doing the same thing. I told her it was against my advice to do another set and that she should allow this to grow out before doing anything else to them. She insisted, so she knew the risks, she just wanted to give it another try. So I applied the second set, using forms instead of white tips. I told her to call me the minute she saw lifting because she hadn't recognized the signs of it before. She called within a week, telling me there was lifting. So I had her come in immediately for a full soak off, hoping I could prevent more nail damage, and as I was gently pushing the acrylic off/lightly buffing any left, her natural nail peeled off where the acrylic was, leaving obviously damaged/slightly red nail beds. It's almost appeared as if the natural nail peeled off, causing the lifting acrylic! I am very gentle in my soak offs, I take a lot of care to not leave a damaged nail plate, and only lightly buff with a 240 before application, so it can't be roughness on my part. I couldn't seem to prevent it...every nail had layers come off. I did a manicure afterwards and sent her home with a nail strengthener and solar oil. I now believe her that they fell off due to the lifting and the damage just happened on its own. I felt absolutely horrible for her nails, but what is this? I've never seen it. Could this be an acrylic allergy?

Normally with an acrylic allergy the skin around the nail would be inflamed also. What was her skin like? I was allergic to Star Nails GF21 gel and my skin would peel around my fingers. It was awful. I couldn't even apply the nails to anyone as my hands would flare up.

No, the skin was normal, just the peeling nails. I've never seen this before.

What was the condition of her natural nails beforecshe ever had the enhancements? Were they strong and glossy? Were they weak and brittle or flakey?

It doesn't sound like the symptoms of allergy.

Just a thought, but where was her honeymoon? Was she scuba diving? Lots of time in a highly chlorinated pool? Was she oiling while away?
I would be interested. I had peeling of the nail plate on my big toes when I had used a salon system adhesive under my TNW last summer. I now don't use that glue and my nails are fine.
Keep us posted x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[email protected]

Her nails seemed normal. In fact, a lot of them had length to them and she only got the set because she broke a couple. I might be inclined to say it was the glue (backscratchers brush on resin) but it happened with forms too. Her honeymoon was in Rome..I had asked her that too, but no swimming involved!

Dear Ladies,
please help me with your advice, sorry for my English, but I am not professional and not native speaker. I was having gel nail for several years. When I got pregnant first, I had to remove the artificial nails (no tips) because of nail problems, I realized soon fortunatelly. After my second child, I did not realized the problem in time, and using nails for 6 month. 3 of my nails looked like this:
http://kepkezelo.com/images/b47mrkz7oi75vrcmc9w3.jpg
It was extremely painful, first doctor said it might be fungus, but not sure, second time they said it is fungus. When finally removed gel from my nails, it got better in couple of days and became healthy within 2 months w/o any anti fungus cure. Was it acryl allergic? or what it could be? can I have nice gel nails again and what should we use?
thanks a lot, krikett

Latest posts

Back