Acrylic rebalance in 20mins... is this even possible?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20 mins is fast!! I did an acrylic rebalance yesterday morning (my fastest one yet) and it took me about 50 mins to do. I'm getting much faster tho, it used to take me almost 2 hours!! I have another client in this morning for the same thing - gonna see if it was just luck that I did yesterdays client so fast, lol.

Vic - your right, gel does take longer. I had a gel rebalance yesterday as well and excluding about 45 mins of deciding what she wanted to have done, overall it took me something close to 2 hours.

I'm never quite sure with you Carl, of exactly what you mean and whether it's tongue in cheek, or straight up. That's probably what makes you so interesting. I can't reply to all, because as I said... ummm not sure what you meant...

Interesting that no one has had the balls to say his ratio is out ..... even though he is using a product they are not familiar with, just like the last guy that everyone bagged (who also happens to use OPI), I'm actually in contact with the fellow you guys badgered until he took his videos down.
I will assume this is regards what I said and asked about ratio from that thread since it was one of my original concerns. As for this guy's, I can't see well enough to see his ratio... so can't even comment. And again, I am still concerned of the product being too wet since I've been told that the reason my model's fingers were sore the next day was because my own ratio for my first set was too wet. Having said that, I don't plan on working too wet (except by accident) because I see absolutely no reason to cause discomfort. Also, this guy isn't yelling "look at me, I'm wonderful" and he's letting his work speak for himself I also didnt see a greenie, or him dropping a mess of L&P on a towel etgc... But as I confessed earlier, his e-filing does scare me.

Shame, shame shame.... someone wants to show you something different, a different technique, a different brush, then you pester him .... if it were men picking on women, lord knows what we are expected to think....
I didn't object to the brush (if you search re: threads about your own fanned brushes.. you'll see I'm a fan.. and WANT one...), I objected to what I understood was overexposure from all that I've read HERE on this forum, seeing the surrounding skin on the finger being very wet from monomer and my understanding was NOT to let the brush touch the skin. And again, I questioned it. I never object to the new... I'm an experimenter myself. The only rules I plan on following are the ones that don't put clients at risk and myself. As for the perceived sexism..... male/female/purple/black/blue.... I'm not racist, nor sexist... so I don't know where that came from.

Oddly enough, I was once that man, the man with the flat brush (but I'm not Asian), all my old tragic videos are still on Youtube, I should have deleted many of them, but just like you guys, I hope I am still open minded and still learning.
I have left all my old work on my website,if you look at the beginning of my photo albums, with all kinds of flaws and sins. I accept that people grow and are human, and I'm one of them. I've left it all there, hanging out to be critisized, and I don't cry over it when someone does. I still commit errors and my skill doesn't come close to most geeks on this site. I can only hope that it will someday. For the time being, I'm not running around yelling "Master nail tech of Chateauguay".... although in comparison to what's here, I just as well might.

Actually it's vanity that stops me from taking even the tragic ones down, I've had 1,340,591 hits and by taking the tragic ones down will negate my hits and bragging rights. :)
That's impressive. Although, I'm not sure of the point.

Sure, I've been pretty confident in the past (and still am), then I see the teaching skills of Geeg, the application skills of Antony, the competition skills of Thom, the artistic skills of Vivian, the innovations of Marian (hell I even love the demo pictures that Samuel does, nice hands, keen eye why wouldn't you) and realise anyone can be knocked on their ass in 5 mins, you could have a bad day, you could have a good day (competitions prove this) and giving them a wide berth is a great idea.
Ditto, Agree 99% But I don't know that skipping out on comps is a great idea. I think they are a learning opportunity.

Consistency is so bloody difficult (consistency in doubt meets my needs sufficiently).:)
NO ****!! I'm struggling with my beads... size, texture.... I can't imagine ever getting it perfect every time, but if I could get it 7 or 8 times out of 10... I'd be happy. If I could find a way to get it right, and not waste so much dabbing my brush on a paper towel, life would be less smelly in my living room.

I actually appreciate everyones efforts (even the bad ones that think they are good), at least they love what they do.
Ditto. I often feel sorry for my friends, running in the rat-race, working in an office and miserable.. the only thing happy about their jobs is the paycheck and the benefits/insurance.

I'd never be foolish enough to base it on race or sex, or even experience, there are techs in the business for 3 months that can run rings around those in it for 20 years.
There was never a question of race for me in that video that I posted. It was never the issue. As for the experience.... yes.. I've noticed that too sometimes. I think it's not so much as someone's experience, but their attitude and whether or not they want to grow, learn more.. etc... or stay stagnant.

You are only as good as your last nail, tomorrow is a different story.
ditto

I'm fortunate enough to be willing to put up bloopers (gawd they make me laugh), ......YET ..........
...a still picture, you have no time constraints and can hone that perfect nail for 3 hours (some still look like shyte, while others your idea of perfection) ......nails are often like beauty, they are in the eyes of the beholder (let alone tragic clients that prefer shovels) .....and heaven forbid those technicians game enough to say/critique "they look a little thick around the cuticle, (or eponichium) for the anal":)

We all do nails differently and everyone, oddly enough has an opinion on what looks natural (often not looking at a natural nail for comparison), but who am I to argue? ..... Then again, who are you to argue?
I am often frustrated by the 'natural' debates, particularly since it seems that here, "oval" is touted to be natural. BUT funnily enough, the nails don't grow that way and have to be filed into that shape...
As said, eye of the beholder.

We/You/I/Them is just another variation or opinion based on our own perception.
I often throw stones through/based on boredom and to create interest, I'm not vindictive (I'm also too busy doing my own thing to be bothered), even though my mind is full of my own thoughts, for some odd reason I still ponder the reasoning of others, perhaps that's the sleeping part of my brain (which we all have) although asleep is apparently awake and bored enough to care.

Am I ranting, am I honest, do I care, do you care ?
I care about your thoughts and opinions. They are interesting and often food for thought. Whether you're honest, only you can say. I repeat, I'm often unsure where you are concerned.

Look within......

20 mins is fast!! I did an acrylic rebalance yesterday morning (my fastest one yet) and it took me about 50 mins to do. I'm getting much faster tho, it used to take me almost 2 hours!! I have another client in this morning for the same thing - gonna see if it was just luck that I did yesterdays client so fast, lol.

Vic - your right, gel does take longer. I had a gel rebalance yesterday as well and excluding about 45 mins of deciding what she wanted to have done, overall it took me something close to 2 hours.

My actual rebalance for uv gel is probably an hour... then art is next....drying time for the art, then glossing time....
A new sculpt... probably 1.5hrs.
So, my assumption is that once I get the hang of L&P... I'll be able to fit more clients into my schedule without adding more hours...
Trying to convert most, while some I won't.
I did more L&P yesterday, will post pictures soon to be critiqued... sharing my failures... sharing my wins.

Last edited:
I am pleased you appreciate Joseph Pham (although Trang is faster) all you guys have to do now is get over your obvious racism (they are both Asian) and my comment is based on many many many posts in regard to Asian technicians and lumping them all together as NSS, ..........

appreciate their skills (recognise your lack of skills), build a bridge and get over it ...... some can rise above it and learn and others can't.

I for one appreciate their obvious talents .....

I don't understand this.....I am quite offended by this comment to be honest, I am not racist-some of the best techs Ive EVER seen have been Asian, some of them have been English, American, whatever..Some of the worst techs Ive ever seen have been English using very quality, recognised product names but not giving a toss about proper prep, sanitation and cross contamination! And yet they have a recognised suppliers name hanging over their door...... I say they should have spot checks on them coz half the time the companies would be horrified by what they see and the fact that their name is being used!! I love seeing videos like this as I watched in amazement at how this is possible-I for one, would LOVE to cut down on my time and any tips I can get that will enable me to cut down on my time whilst still ensuring the same high standard of service can only be welcomed! So please, I know you are a very well respected member of this site (and produce some fab nails Ive watched your vids) and I am only a Geeklin but sometimes your posts can be just as offensive as those you speak about.
Toni x

Hey Carl, breath buddy, and I think it time for you to change that avatar of your 'cause you do give a damn, perhaps too passionate ether way don't change who you are. I'm glad that you decided to retire the big flat brush cause you were giving us Asian a bad name :Grope: Just joking bro. I'll buy you a drink when I come for the Sydney Expo in August.

Joking a side, please do not use the video Carl share as a learning tool for E-File, as it does not give enough reference, maybe when I have time I'll take out the music and narrate it. I did it just to challenge believe, and boundary of what is possible.... The truth is I don't work that hard and fast, only when I have to.

Not long ago there was a similar post on Beauty Tech, and my respond was, word records is broken because someone believe that it can be done, and when it does happen it a result of training, and precise execution of each discipline in the event. To be faster at nail is the same, first believe that it can be done, then practice each discipline to find the fastest way to get it done (ei. prep, application, cutting smile, finish file...)

The products use in the video is Absolute, you can work with a much wetter ratio, it's less ratio sensitive you can work from 2:1 to 1:1 ratio.
The sanding band it a medium, notice how I always come in contact with the enhancement first, and when I goes around the cuticle all the weight is on the tail end of the bit (not the tip) the tip of the barrel is just barely skimming on the nail plate to remove the shine, another word there is absolutely no angle when the bit come in contact with nail plate. Also notice that this client have a gel sealer so it seem like I was filing more then needed.

Trang is def. faster, better, and more gifted then I will ever be, but he is human, so he's an awesome bench mark, and inspiration. He is also the most giving person I ever met, and he's not only a friend, but a big brother that I look up to. I rember one time jokingly I said, brother Trang some day I'll kick your ass. He said I hope you do, and I will teach you everything I know to help you with your quest, and he wasn't joking.

Not sure what the deal is with this guy from Canada you all talking about. All I can say is the video that I put on youtube it was for families and friends that was asking me the same qestion as this post. Take it for what it is, and I understand that everyone it intile to their opinion.
Youtube is the best thing ever, however I will admit there lots of miss guided materials, if you ever come across one please keep in mind that there is a person that believe in what they do, and care enough to invest the time in doing the video. It's human nature to just jump in to set the record straight, but I challange you to let your work do the talking and make a better video, that not only everone here, but anyone in the word that have access to the web will benifit from it.

XOXO
Joseph Pham

Jaysus Carl whats gotten into you?

What often gets into me is the fact that people want to learn, they want to see something different, ..... eventually someone does show them, then they often proceed to chop down the person that shows it.

We are all different, but our aims are very similar.

The more time you spend in this industry, the more things you learn.

When we are initially taught, that's what we think is right ... totally understandable. But as we age (professionally, physically and mentally), we often embrace (or allow/understand) that our own little bubble that we live in ain't all thats out there.

We all like different things (the scent that you like may smell like cats pee to me) and visa versa. Your idea of what's natural, versus mine (and again visa versa). Your idea of a smile line versus mine (yet again visa versa).

My whole point (and getting back to the thread) is ......... when you are shown how to do things quicker (in 20 mins), don't shoot it down, look at it (sure, critique in your mind, but beware critiquing aloud, as sometimes that free tutor may be forced to withdraw what they want to show).

Take from it what is to your advantage ..... then progress (and keep an eye out for other titbits) and again progress.

RedAdmiral, what gets into me is frustration, frustration at something for free being butchered and berated until it is no longer given freely.

My comment about race still stands ..... you only need to see the amount of posts that call all Asians "Chinese" (I so tire of the many Chinese Salon posts, ......it's so damn ignorant ), all of them are NSS and all of them use MMA ........ which is so not true.

There are the more educated opinions of course, but "majority" seems to have the upper hand.

Last edited:
I have seen that J Pham video on youtube and was impressed with the application and end result. He even says others may not agree with his methods and use of tools but the nails look great!

I have tried reverse application a couple of times and just couldn't master it & I think I took even longer (wasn't using the drill).

20mins, 30, 45 or even 50mins refill with fantastic smile lines is something to aspire to!! I haven't been in the business for a long time, and I gather from the other posts it is definitely possible to get my times down further.

God I wish I had some body 'great' in my area I could learn from!! :)

Call me a anti feminist, but this is why i hate a all women inviroment (and all men too). I think the mixture of both gender in the work place and everywhere balances it out. I usued to live in a feminine dorm at college and i still can't belive how picky and medeling those girls where.
I liked this video because he show a responsible use of the drill. I love mine, it a valuable tool, i couldn't live without it, and i never hurt a client. More, when those very nasty breaks occour right in the middle of the nail, it is so much easier to remove product with the drill without hurting the client...
I don't know much about L&P as i'm not trained with it, but those finished nails seem pretty good.

Youtube is the best thing ever, however I will admit there lots of miss guided materials, if you ever come across one please keep in mind that there is a person that believe in what they do, and care enough to invest the time in doing the video. It's human nature to just jump in to set the record straight, but I challange you to let your work do the talking and make a better video, that not only everone here, but anyone in the word that have access to the web will benifit from it.

I think that you are absolutly right and that it is very easy to critisize an individual when they put themselves out in the open showing a different way of working, with what i have to say pretty good final results. I hope that it won´t set you back from doing more videos since i am sure that many people may benefit out of it, get inspired to addapt some of their own techniques to speed up their service or just enjoy to see another aproach on the ´traditional rebalance´. Thanks for sharing :wink2:

Carl I absolutely agree with you. There is a wonderful world of nails out there but only if you want it.
Thanks Carl for introducing J Pham to us :hug:

It can be done. I have done a 3 week maintenance in 30 mins before - but that doesn't happen for me very often. Usually its around 45 mins, but most of my clients have color l&p so I have to be especially careful to check for lifting and then have to add more color then another clear l&p cap.

I use an e-file also. I use a carbide to take down the bulk and a diamond bit to refine the eponychium area and sidewalls. I also use a diamond bit prepper barrel to prep the natural nail. It removes all cuticle from the nail plate and I find it is more accurate for me than a nail file.

It is possible, there are some techs that don't faff, they are like machines/robots, brilliantly skilled in drill techniques and application.

Trang from Odyssey nails can drill out a new free edge in less than a 2 seconds (i've seen him work and was gobsmacked) He doesnt have any videos on youtube, but there is a guy that has.

He's quite talented.
Now don't go and innundate this guy with slander and anonymous comments like you did with the guy in Canada in an attempt to drive him off Youtube.

Watch, learn and adapt to your needs.
YouTube - Acrylic Nails P&W Back-fill part 1

This guy is incredibly talented - the guy from Canada was dangerous.

It is possible, there are some techs that don't faff, they are like machines/robots, brilliantly skilled in drill techniques and application.

Trang from Odyssey nails can drill out a new free edge in less than a 2 seconds (i've seen him work and was gobsmacked) He doesnt have any videos on youtube, but there is a guy that has.

He's quite talented.
Now don't go and innundate this guy with slander and anonymous comments like you did with the guy in Canada in an attempt to drive him off Youtube.

Everytime I watch this video, Carl - I can't believe how good he is! I just realized that Trang is part of the HRTE. My teacher is also a big part of the HRTE - Rachel Mourtisen. I can't wait for training at the end of September so I can soak up as much of their knowledge as possible. It drives me crazy I only get to do it once a year because I still have so much to learn!

Well, my time is always dropping, last year was 1,5hrs for a maintenance, nowdays is usually 1hr, and if the client comes back in time with decent nails (that unfortunately is not the majority) I can do it in 45min (with french)
I found the "sculpt with your brush and not your file" one of the best advices to relly take my work to the next level.
Before I also used to to do 1 nail at a time and alternate hands to the UV lamp, now, I can do 2 nails at a time, wich saves a bit of time...

Thanks for the vid Carl. Watching this and watching Trang when I floor judge at Nailympics makes me wish I had a desk, some great L&P and a drill!! (Oh, and some clients!)

Long time since those days but would love to try out all the different techniques. There's one for everyone!

Don't knock it till you try it (as long as there's no damage)

One technique I never tried (and wish I had) is the one bead with a massive flat brush! was too confident in my own style and too busy but that's a mistake!

Make time to try it all. Then you are in a position to say "don't like it"

He's quite talented.

Very impresive video :)

I have to say, the lady i used to go to before I did my course used to do mine in 30 mins, we used to have a nice gossip and she could even do a full set in 45 mins, just exactly the same way, she sculpted rather than using tips and just did the essentials, the smile lines were perfect and the nails would always last until I went in for a rebalance! Wasnt until I have done my course I have realised she is actually amazing! :) x

Latest posts

Back