Advice needed - boxing day opening..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swilks12

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a salon owner and have had someone approach me that is getting married on 27th Dec and due to work commitments is unable to get to the salon before christmas and so has asked if i would consider working boxing day - as i own the salon (and am not too fussed about xmas!) i would be willing to do this but just wonder what rate would be realistic - double or double and a half?

Any advice appreciated..:)

What does she want done?

having facial/full body massage/gel overlays

I think I would double it at least, depending what your prices are, our normal price for that would be in the region of £160 so £320 would make it worthwhile if I didn't have anything else to do. It has to be worth going in for, if you do decide to do it make sure you take full payment (non returnable) straight away to secure booking. Happy Christmas!!

I would say double rather than double + half ... as it is xmas and such im sure the wallet's had a right squeeze anyways ;-)

good luck!

I don't understand why you would charge double the price? If it's your salon you're not paying for an extra day's room rental so you've just got the running costs of having the salon open (electricity etc) which you would normally have to pay as on any other working week you'd be there anyway. And if you have nothing else on and are not particularly bothered about Christmas then I can't understand why this lady, who is giving you a very nice bonus, should have to pay double the price for her treatments for her special day.

I'm not having a go at you, I just really don't understand it.

i agee with rouge. i wouldnt charge double neither. if you chose to open for her on boxing day, then thats your choice. its not like your paying for one of you employees to come in. i work in a spa and we open boxing day and only charge normal prices. infact every day is normal prices. x

Just out of interest do you get paid extra for working boxing day or extra time off?

we only get double pay on new years day and xmas day as a company, but the spa isnt open on xmas day. we have to work all bank holidays too but we get 6 weeks holiday a year instead of the usual 4. xx

If it was at my salon i wouldnt charge double. Maybe time and a half at a push. Mind you i would just be sat around watching xmas films and stuffing my face with leftover turkey and choccies :) so i would do it before the slump kicks in in Jan. x

Hi if you think about it everyone else charges double on boxing day like taxi drivers etc. I would charge double since its still a public holiday and make sure she pays for the treatments she is having in advance. I used to open on christmas eve and every year even your most loyal clients could be a no show so I now ask for these appointments to be paid for in advance. I bet other salons will have turned her away as they will be closed so I think she would understand that she will be expected to pay more since you are opening the salon especially for her. We should always try to go out our way to accommodate our clients as much as we can for the sake of our reputations as much as the money but clients also have to understand we have lives as well. Hope this helps and doesnt sound like a rant!

I think its your choice, i have a set price list for weddings etc so have always incorporated this for special events. The only thing i charge extra is the cost of travel and the hourly rate, dependent of style/ppl etc

I find as im always prepared for last minute events popping up, i can whip it out my out of hours price list.
Somehow or another you'll get some ppl that are willing for you to come to them or visa versa to save on £££. or suddenly they are available!! Id definatly create it for sunday booking or days off just in case. Have a minimum spend so that its worthwhile for you and that way you know if you have to get there for 4am in the morning to complete all the treatments. xoxo

Hi if you think about it everyone else charges double on boxing day like taxi drivers etc. I would charge double since its still a public holiday!

But we're not talking about a few quid taxi fare, we're talking about roughly £100 worth of treatments. That would mean she'd be paying £200 if you charge double, and I would rather have the £100 and know she's going to take the appointment than say it's £200 and have her cancel. It's a huge difference in price.

If the OP already had an out-of-hours price list it wouldn't be a problem, but to pluck a figure out of the air is, IMO, a bit of a cheek. If I was the client, and I found out afterwards that I'd been charged double when the therapist had willingly agreed to come in, I'd be really hacked off, I'd never go back, and I'd be telling a whole load of people that I'd been ripped off. If I was charged normal price and I knew that the therapist had made a special effort for me, I'd be singing her praises from the tops of the mountains.

This isn't only about the money, it's about your reputation as well.

I'm doing a wedding on New Year's Day and I'm charging an extra person i.e. I'm charging for 5 and I'm actually doing 4.
I want to charge a fair price, and wouldn't want to be thought of as greedy.

I think extra should be added on as if you were working for someone or if you were employing a member of staff to do it they would be paid more than their basic wage to come in on Boxing Day.

I think your bride will be more than willing to pay and will also be very aware that she will have to pay it.

I don't really like the comment that the client is "giving you a bonus"...you are doing her a favour by coming in on your day off, and beyond that, you are doing a treatment for her that she is paying you for. No one is giving anyone a bonus. A bonus would be a £100 tip.

xx

I would go for double hun what people have got to remember as well is you will be opening just for her so you will have to pay for heating and electric bills for that day just for one person!!!!

I'm thinking of working for 3 hours boxing day at the spa as they have asked me. They have offered double pay for that which they don't normally do but they are desperate.

Not sure whether this has been said or not, but whether you charge double or not I personally would think about asking her to pay upfront or ask for a deposit.

This is a tricky one.

I think if you charge double I think this needs to be very clearly explained at the time of booking as I think others have mentioned if she finds out after your reputation could be risked.

If it were me I would charge normal prices but say there is a £50 (for example) charge due to the circumstances and the salon just being opened for her and I think that then lets her know you are doing her a favour which makes the customer happy with the special treatment you are giving and you get a guaranteed £50 tip you also get a bit of extra business on a day that you say doesnt bother you anyway.

Personally I think charging double for treatments is slightly excessive and IMO (please dont be mad) I think it is taking advantage or someone because nowhere else will help them!

i personally would charge double. and apply a minimum charge and get money upfront. name your price and let her decide.

i dont think its taking advantage of anyone as long as the client knows upfront

its not like she has to have the treatments in order for her wedding to go ahead is it ?

Hi all,

I am a salon owner and have had someone approach me that is getting married on 27th Dec and due to work commitments is unable to get to the salon before christmas and so has asked if i would consider working boxing day - as i own the salon (and am not too fussed about xmas!) i would be willing to do this but just wonder what rate would be realistic - double or double and a half?

Any advice appreciated..:)

Not wise to have facial day before wedding in case it brings out spots etc. I'd say triple time payable in advance.

Latest posts

Back