Advice needed, please give me your honest opinion. Law suit

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladygrey

Reaction score
hi there,
I am a qualified level 2 and 3 stylist who has been in the idustry for 7 years 9 including training.
I had a client a few months ago who acted very strange when I was colouring her hair.I did a complete consultation where the client told me their hair hadnt been coloured for 4 months and she wanted the roots done.

I check the condition of her hair and advised that I would carry out the colour but not take the bleach through the ends as there was OBVIOUS previous colour here. I also advised that she try conditioning treatments at home.

I started the colour using bleach with 6% and started to foil, it was not that I noticed that the client was asking unsual questions like 'how long does it take for bleach to disintergrate your hair?' - surely a client would not think of asking something like that, its never happened before.
The client had very curly hair and explained to me in our consultation that she didnt brush it often as it tends to frizz and she finds it easier to manage without brushing.

The mother of this client then started to make a fuss asking questions like are you sure that this is what you want and making a really big fuss. The daughter started to get embarrassed and told her mum to stop.
Later on just as I finished foiling client complained it was feeling hot- bleach was in foils NOT touching the scalp and foils were not hot either, however i washed colour off.
Before the client could see her hair-she started crying it was falling out- i am at basin with her lying back combing through conditioner???? Clients mother came over and started RIPPING her daughters hair-we all know that when your hair is wet its at its most vunerable-also this client NEVER brushes her hair therefore the amoutn of hair we lose everyday its is going to look like its coming out plus it was so long and curly.

After the episode they paid for the hair, rebooked the other daughter for a full head tint (we refused to do it that day as she hadnt been patch tested) and they left. They didnt turn up for the tint and 4 months later I recieve a letter saying I am going to be sued for both daughters!!!!!!
They are saying i didnt patch test for the bleach-i didnt need to as it was in foils and not touching the scalp and also leaving bleach on someones skin for 24 hrs is going to burn.Does anyone else agree with me?
I feel like I have been set up- i did nothing different from any other time and Ive never had a problem.
Imcompatibility testwasnt done as the bleach was only put on the roots and never overlapped.please tell me what you all think :sad: I would like to also add thios client said the bleach burnt her scalp i only used 6% and 2 they have no pictorial evidence and no medical report???

As long as you're insured you should have no problem, you seemingly followed all the correct procedures with regards to health and safety and this woman is just chancing her arm.

It would be a different matter if you failed to do a patch test or a consultation. I know a lot of salons don't do scalp bleaches due to the risk but foils is fine as the bleach is in no contact with skin.

Don't worry people try to sue for everything these days, that's why insurance is important, I don't think the lady has a strong case.

best of luck x x

Yes it sounds like you have been set up. Suing a hairdresser is much harder than people realise, and unless there is permanent scarring, very few win, as hair grows. Refer this to your insurer and then forget about it. Do not enter any dialogue with the woman.

I can't comment on her hair as I'm not a hair pro. However, I will comment on their threat to sue. My guess is they haven't got a leg to stand on and are obviously after some compensation.

Ignore it and don't worry about it. Make a detailed note of everything that was said and done on that day and since......it's easy to forget bits. Then forget about it as I bet it comes to nothing. You sound like a responsible professional and these people are chancers. Contact your insurers and get in first. xx

Dont worry about it. I had similar problems with Travellers and so I refused to book them - not worth the hassle!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you all soooooo much. i didnt think I was doing anything wrong as I followed all procedure. Hope it doesnt come to anything. They are now trying tosettle out of court!x

Your insurance company states that you should not get into any dialogue with them and that you should not tell them who you are insured with? Yes?

I would at next point of contact with them calmly ask for the contact details as you are passing it on to them. tell them not to contact you again as it will now be dealt with by a professional insurance company.

I doubt you will be contacted again.

I would also second what persianista and hippy-chick says and don't enter into any dialogue with them ........
I wouldn't worry too much about them suing .... as you did everything right.
I don't perform skin tests for bleached foils or for on the scalp bleach as it has no para dye in it ....
and I would only perform a mettallic salts test if the hair looked or felt strange or I if was told or thought henna was on it , or I was doing a full colour correction ....

A mettallic salts its not a standard test a hairdresser would perform on natural hair .... or for root highlights or previously lightened hair , and as it was only the natural hair you were lightening ..... if the foils never felt hot or fizzed in the packet or discolored the natural hair and the hair was ok where your bleach met up to her last bleach
then there were no mettallic salts present either .....

Let the insurance company worry about it .... after all that's what we all pay them for . :) minky

As 2 of you are in Reading and both had trouble, I wonder if you swopped details, what they looked like etc- you may find they are the same!

There are some bloomin nasty people out there who just want to make peoples lives a misery, it will be fine - Good luck with it all

Dont worry about it. I had similar problems with Travellers and so I refused to book them - not worth the hassle!!!
May have been edited but i personally still find this comment pretty racist and offensive.

Latest posts

Back