Advice please, Spa Mani and Pedi certificates don't count?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aurora xx

Reaction score
Hi I am new to this site. I have lurked for a while and plucked up the courage to join. I need to ask a question and this seemed like the right place for help.
I have not that long completed l&p foundation with cnd (which I loved) and I also done the spa manicure and pedicure day. I have recently been for a job interview in a salon and took my certificates with me. The salon owner told me that my manicure and pedicure certificates do not qualify me to do them as it is only shows I have done product training. Is this right? do I not have a manicure and pedicure qualification? Does it not count that you recieve manicure training with the foundation as your prep? If anyone can help that would be great. Thankyou so much.

Well give her a pedicure and manicure and shut her up.

I have just done my creative spa too and thought that meant I was qualified to do both manis and pedis now? Glad you brought this up!

I have done the Spa mani and pedi induction day and now am about to take my Masters exam in both and havent done any other training for the pedi side of it although my initial training did cover manicures and says so on my certificate but as far as I am aware the induction day makes me qualified to do both, as you have to show them on the day that you know what you are doing re both mani's & pedi's....why not phone the CND academy and ask them, then if they say that this is a qualification then get them to put it in writing and take it in and show it to her.
****I have just looked at my Spa certs and they say that I 'have successfully completed the Cretaive Academy Foot Beauty course' and the other says the same but says 'Hand beauty course' nowhere does it mention that it was an induction/ convertion course....doesnt yours say the same as mine?????****

I think it varies from salon to salon, there are some in my area who will not accept manufacturers training for nail enhancements etc, only vtct or NVQ.:mad:

Thanks for the answers so far. It just got me worried because I have been doing some clients. I got worried that my insurance might not cover me if something bad happened

Your insurance will cover you, as creative are a recognised training provider, and you have had an assessment. Its just that some employers dont recognise crative/ezflow/nsi as a training provider, goodness knows why as most of the time the training is far supirior to nvq/vtct!:lol:

The only way you will know if you are covered by your insurance company is to phone them direct.

Sassy Hassy said:
The only way you will know if you are covered by your insurance company is to phone them direct.

I think I will do this. I am with professional beauty. I got a form when I did my foundation and handed it into creative

Surely if your certificates weren't a recognized qualification, you wouldn't have been able to get insurance in the first place?. The fact that you have insurance must surely mean you're qualified to do mani's and pedi's.:)
Aurora xx said:
Thanks for the answers so far. It just got me worried because I have been doing some clients. I got worried that my insurance might not cover me if something bad happened

sarahp said:
Surely if your certificates weren't a recognized qualification, you wouldn't have been able to get insurance in the first place?. The fact that you have insurance must surely mean you're qualified to do mani's and pedi's.:)

Good point! you get your insurance on the last day of your foundation course before you have even done the spa induction! so must be covered huh?

sarahp said:

I got the insurance when I did my enhancement training. I then went on to do the spa day but insurance covers you for all aspects of being a nail tech already.

an induction course, although it sounds good, in reality gives you the right to use a companies product, not necessarily the right to do the treatment, this is where the whole, education before using our product falls down. Therefore making your insurance null and void, if in fact your insurance company needs these requirements. Look into it carefully as often is the case there are very little, or no national requirements for insurance, often this is a scare tactic used to make you do training with a specific company, yet that companies training is not nationally, nor internationally recognised. If a country has no national training requirements by the government per say, the insurance company can not demand any educational requirements that are not nationally recognised, as obviously the dont exist, all those training standards qualify you to do is use a specific companies product.
If you doubt me, ask you insurance company what they require, if there is no national/international standard, they cannot demand anything from you.
There are MANY insurance companies....... go shopping.
There are also many product companies, one just as good as another, shop around in this field also.

I know unless you have done the foundation you have to be qualified in mani & pedi to do the spa induction, so maybe when they teach you the prep on the foundation course this counts.
Even though i have done my foundation i have got a vtct in Beauty Therapy which covers mani & pedi.
Also anyone can get insurance with PB but you need to have the valid certificates for it to be valid xx

~shelley~ said:
I know unless you have done the foundation you have to be qualified in mani & pedi to do the spa induction, so maybe when they teach you the prep on the foundation course this counts.
Even though i have done my foundation i have got a vtct in Beauty Therapy which covers mani & pedi.
Also anyone can get insurance with PB but you need to have the valid certificates for it to be valid xx
I had only done manicure training when I did my Spa induction NEVER done pedi's in my life and I still did the CND Spa induction course....wasnt even asked if I had done them before.
I still cannot understand why the woman said that this was just an induction course NOT a qualification as it does NOT say this on my certificate ...it definitely says that I have completed a foot/hand beauty coursse and I am sure that all the certificates that CND send out will all be the same.

nailsbydesign said:
I had only done manicure training when I did my Spa induction NEVER done pedi's in my life and I still did the CND Spa induction course....wasnt even asked if I had done them before.
I still cannot understand why the woman said that this was just an induction course NOT a qualification as it does NOT say this on my certificate ...it definitely says that I have completed a foot/hand beauty coursse and I am sure that all the certificates that CND send out will all be the same.

I am exactly the same as you. I did my spa mani and pedi when I was doing my foundation. The foundation definatly teaches you manicure as it is your prep but I had never done a pedicure before and no one asked me if I had previous mani/pedi qualifications. You can purchase the mani/pedi kits from creative without this training. Maybe if one of the cnd educators comes on they could explain this for us

Did you ask the employer what qualifications they would want?

When I started training I chose to do my VTCT 1st so then I could go out and get experience in a real salon, most salons won't take you on unless you have this followed by a couple of years experience, I know a lot of people on her have had bad experiences with colleges but it just so happens my training and fab ans encouraged me to carry on.

I then took the other avenue in getting product knowledge from different companies.

This is the reason I say do your homework, find out all the information you can on the courses you are hoping to do.

Contact them and find out but I would go out there and get your VTCT so your not limited on the places where you can work.

I'm sure someone will disagree with my advice but it worked out fine for me so I just thought I'd share my experience.

Can I ask a question? if you do manufacture training, when you get insurance do it only cover you for their products and no one else??? just wondering is all

The Spa Manicure and pedicure course is just a product led course so this makes it an induction into spa products. This allows you to buy the products and know how to use them.

To do manicure and pedicure teatments in a salon you need a separate qualification stipulating the fact that it is a manicure or pedicure certificate then you are covered by your insurance.

scattyfox said:
The Spa Manicure and pedicure course is just a product led course so this makes it an induction into spa products. This allows you to buy the products and know how to use them.

To do manicure and pedicure teatments in a salon you need a separate qualification stipulating the fact that it is a manicure or pedicure certificate then you are covered by your insurance.

Can I ask what may seem like a really daft question then please!!

If you have your Creative Masters in Manicure and Pedicure, is this accepted as a qualification?

scattyfox said:

I agree,

I have done the Spa Mani & Pedi course and believe it to be product training only and an introduction into the "creative" pedicure as opposed to the standard one taught at college.

Having done an nvq in beauty therapy at college i don't see how the spa course could be a qualification as it covers no anatomy and phsiology etc.

Latest posts

Back