Advice - what should I do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainbowtanning

Reaction score
For a few weeks I was renting a chair in a hairdressers doing nails, I called it quits because something didn't feel right & I'm glad I did as I later found out the owner had lied to me about going on a nail course herself. Anyway, I Shellac'd her sisters nails while I was there & had a problem with the shellac pitting (which it had never done before) so I made good & the nails looked lovely when she left. She text the following day to say that they had all come off, so I offered her an appointment that day & told her I would sort them out. She couldn't make the appointment an said she wld see me next week. Haven't heard anything since until today when I received a text asking when I can fit her in and remember the shellac all came off ( so implying that it should be free). Firstly I only operate on a mobile basis now and she lives in Dartford & I'm in Croydon and secondly its been around three weeks with no contact from her. What do you think I should do?

Dont do it shes trying it on.x

Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

if she needs them done then charge her. you offered to fix problem right away and she declined. you've done all you needed to do.

Unless you saw proof of them coming off the following day after application (which i doubt very much that they did) shes having you on!
If id paid to have my nails done and something went wrong id be straight back or taken photos...dont do anything for free x

Thanks Ladies, I text her back nicely saying that I hoped she was well and that I am fully booked next week and she does not live within my catchment area for mobile services. I then went on to say that I offered to address the issue with her nails immediately but that she declined and it has since been a month. I told her that she could have an appointment when I have availability and that she is welcome to come to me but the cost would be £25. She replied saying that she was well but that she did not decline the appointment and that she had stated she would get back to me shortly and that I had not made it clear that the reapplication had to take place within a month, that it was my error and that I needed to re-do the nails. So I responded saying that shortly isn't a month and that my offer was to re-apply on that saturday and not any other time and that I'm sorry but I wont be re-applying free of charge. She has come back saying that there is no where on my leaflet that states it has to be done within a month and that I should have made her aware or I owe her a refund and that she is going to look in to it, I was made aware straight away and her sister told her I wasn't even in the salon on that saturday (which I was). So I replied that no nail tech would refund or repair nails without seeing them and that if she felt that she had to take it further then that was her choice and I was in the salon on that saturday and would have gladly re-applied. She has come back again saying that she is definitely looking in to it, I owe her a refund and that I knew the varnish was bubbling when they were applied. So I've left it there but what can she actually do??

Unless she has proof of them coming off after less than 24hours i dont think theres much she can do.
Ring your insurance see what they say...i imagine they get people trying it on ALL the time. They will advise you on what to say/not to say but just keep record of messages she sends...if she rings dont answer and message asking her to contact you in writing or email xx

Thanks ladies, it's just such a hassle, I'll contact them on Monday and see what they say. In the meantime is there anywhere else I can refer to? I vaguely remember seeing something on another post where the OP was referred to some kind of trading standards for beauty therapists?

Have telephoned BABTAC just waiting for one of their legal team to call me back, amazed there was someone there but apparently they're 24/7 what a great service!!

Just spoken to the legal advice team and they have informed me that under the sale of goods act if a client tells me that something is no good I should re-do it or refund. The only thing that she can do is take me to the small claims court but even if she did that I could pay her the money and that would be an end to it but it would be unlikely that she would do it for the amount. I can see her doing it though, she seems like that sort of person, so I'm thinking just pay it back and get her off my back................

No advice but just wanted to send a virtual hug. What a PITA!! Nobody needs this, least of all on a Saturday night! :hug:

she won't do it, it will cost her alot of money to get you to a small claims court and shes blatently got no evidence, its your word against hers. shes trying to scare you into giving her a refund. do not back down. you offered to redo her nails as a good will gesture and she cancelled. good luck :D

Yeah she will, she's got a rich husband and plenty of time on her hands! I've text and told her that as a good will gesture I'll refund the money and to either send me her account details or her address and I'll get the money back to her. For the sake of £22 it's not worth the aggravation or stress it will put me under!

No advice but just wanted to send a virtual hug. What a PITA!! Nobody needs this, least of all on a Saturday night! :hug:

Thank you xxx

Just spoken to the legal advice team and they have informed me that under the sale of goods act if a client tells me that something is no good I should re-do it or refund. The only thing that she can do is take me to the small claims court but even if she did that I could pay her the money and that would be an end to it but it would be unlikely that she would do it for the amount. I can see her doing it though, she seems like that sort of person, so I'm thinking just pay it back and get her off my back................

Do not refund this woman unless you believe your application was faulty. She will not take this any further, she is trying her luck.

Maybe she wouldn't but I have a feeling she would and it's not worth my stress levels going through the roof, I just want to completely wash my hands of the WHOLE situation, her, the salon, all of it!!

Yeah she will, she's got a rich husband and plenty of time on her hands! I've text and told her that as a good will gesture I'll refund the money and to either send me her account details or her address and I'll get the money back to her. For the sake of £22 it's not worth the aggravation or stress it will put me under!

awww no! big hugs :hug: just plain refuse to do her or anyone to do with her ever again. i suppose its a lesson learnt and you'll know what to do if the situation ever comes up again (put a time limit on your offer, which personally i wouldn't have thought of doing until now so thank you) x

She sounds like a bit of a bully, so if giving her back the money buys you peace of mind then you have to do what you have to do.

For the future, I would find out what may have caused the pitting, ? too thick, then have it absolutely clear in your terms and conditions what is expected of the client, should they experience any problems. You can also make this part of your aftercare sheet.

Hi please consider our advice on here. No one can take anyone to court without evidence - ask her for evidence that they came off within 24hrs... If she cannot provide it **no case** .

Simples
- honestly she is trying it on big time! Refunding her is admitting you're wrong and I'm sure it's not the case..

Please let her get on with it she won't get past first base

Xx

It is awful that you feel the best way out of this situation is to refund her but if you do decide this is the way forward for you then please make sure you are very careful about how you do it. I wouldn't refund myself but if you are going to do it then please ensure it is done in a way you can prove. Ensure you have a record of refunding her so that she can't claim she didn't get it.

A bank transfer would be good as it will show on your statement (& will help when it comes to putting it into your accounts), I wouldn't post the money as she could say she didn't get it or that it was the wrong amount etc... and she could continue to demand more money from you.

It is awful that you feel the best way out of this situation is to refund her but if you do decide this is the way forward for you then please make sure you are very careful about how you do it. I wouldn't refund myself but if you are going to do it then please ensure it is done in a way you can prove. Ensure you have a record of refunding her so that she can't claim she didn't get it.

A bank transfer would be good as it will show on your statement (& will help when it comes to putting it into your accounts), I wouldn't post the money as she could say she didn't get it or that it was the wrong amount etc... and she could continue to demand more money from you.

I agree...make sure there is proof. If she wants the refund make her come to you to get it. Give her a receipt and have her sign that she's been compensated and the matter closed. Make a copy for YOU and HER. That way she can't come back later claiming other things!

Latest posts

Back