All your technical questions about Brisa Lite removable gel answered here

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't got my Brisa Lite yet but have been reading all threads with interest ready for when I do.

My question is regarding the Smoothing gel. When doing the Shellac training, it was recommended that we keep the total number of coats used, to a maximum of 5 to limit the thickness ensuring a lessened chance of lifting and chipping as it would be nice and thin.

So when it comes to using the smoothing Gel in addition to Shellac (excluding Shellac base coat as this wouldn't be used) and the client choosing a colour combination that perhaps uses 2 or 3 colour coats and/or Additives/Glitter, plus 1 or 2 Top coats to finish, is this going to be ok? As this 'could' be perhaps 7 coats in total in some instances. Or should we be steering our clients to simple colour choices only if wearing BL, to again limit the total number of coats on the nail.

Many thanks for starting this thread Geeg :hug:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I wondered about this too. Currently my friend who has psoriasis on her nails has the BL base coat, BL smoothing gel, 2xfedora shellac, 1 coat of hot chillis shellac and then shellac topcoat. This totals 6 coats. However, they didn't really look any thicker than normal but she said they definitely felt stronger. So far it's been a week and they are absolutely fine. I will update if anything happens to them.
Hth

Good Question and again, I would say it is a "suck it and see" scenario.

I would have thought that using so many coats of Shellac would be strong enough for most clients without any extra help but at this stage it is a try it and see. I think 7 coats would be quite excessive. But the smoothing gel is massively retentive on the right nails. If it were I, I would be staying away from any kind of 7 coat application.

Smoothing gel is not for every single client; they do not all need it .. only those that need the help and perhaps do not get the same wear out of Shellac as others. You all have CRC's and you all know who those clients are and what their wear history is.

I have one client in mind for whom I think this is going to be the answer to our prayers and I cannot blimmin wait to use it on her and be done with the faff of a silk underlay every time. Hooray! :D

But she likes her glitter and Additives which is why that question popped up in mind, as for an example, she will choose a layered colour combo then have a glitter fade from the free edge down. So that would be base coat, 2 coats of main colour, 1 coat of the layering colour, glitter then 2 top coats. So wondered if then having the added coat of Gel under there would cause more problem than good as we've already pushed it by using 6 coats when 5 is recommended.

But like you say, it's a try it and see situation. I may need to steer her toward simple colour choices if we experience any problems with doing it the above way. We shall see what happens.

Oh and I have a feeling my clients will be telling me they need BL even if they don't, they're all so excited about it, no idea where they've got that excitement from :wink2: :lol:

Thank you for replying :hug:

I wondered about this too. Currently my friend who has psoriasis on her nails has the BL base coat, BL smoothing gel, 2xfedora shellac, 1 coat of hot chillis shellac and then shellac topcoat. This totals 6 coats. However, they didn't really look any thicker than normal but she said they definitely felt stronger. So far it's been a week and they are absolutely fine. I will update if anything happens to them.
Hth

She should be fine then. Her nails are a mess from NSS ex enhancement wearing and illness. We have been working hard to get them back to a good condition and I think BL is the answer. I will just try and see what happens.

Thanks for your reply on this question too stephiebaby, it'll be interesting to see how they hold up

I currently have:
BL base,
BL smoothing
BL top coat
Shellac Colour x3
Shellac Top Coat.

That's 7 layers. I wanted to try BL smoothing on its own when it first arrived and then added the shellac a few days later hence why there are two topcoat layers. The coating is not any noticeably thicker than my usual shellac.
I haven't had any chipping and am also noticing much less edge wear.

I currently have:
BL base,
BL smoothing
BL top coat
Shellac Colour x3
Shellac Top Coat.

That's 7 layers. I wanted to try BL smoothing on its own when it first arrived and then added the shellac a few days later hence why there are two topcoat layers. The coating is not any noticeably thicker than my usual shellac.
I haven't had any chipping and am also noticing much less edge wear.

Just so that everyone knows that you do not need to use the Brisa Lite Top Coat if adding Shellac colour on the top. I understand why you did but to avoid any confusion for others. there is no need and CND do not advise it.

She should be fine then. Her nails are a mess from NSS ex enhancement wearing and illness. We have been working hard to get them back to a good condition and I think BL is the answer. I will just try and see what happens.

Thanks for your reply on this question too stephiebaby, it'll be interesting to see how they hold up

Hmm I would have thought BL sculpting would be more suitable for nails like that x

In the instances where bl smoothing is not quite strong enough, could another option be to apply sculpting gel in a thin layer in the same way ? X

In the instances where bl smoothing is not quite strong enough, could another option be to apply sculpting gel in a thin layer in the same way ? X

I would do two layers with smoothing gel:biggrin:

The sculpting gel is not brushed on in the same way as the smoothing gel, if it were, you would not get the strength you need .. its not that simple. It is called Sculpting gel because you sculpt with it. This is not meant to sound sarcastic :hug: it just is what it is.

Believe me, the smoothing gel is STRONG on reasonably normal nails .. on very weak nails, where it would not have the strength required, you would sculpt with the sculpting gel.

OK ALL. NEW THREAD JUST FOR NAIL ART QUESTIONS JUST BEEN POSTED AND I HAVE ENLISTED THE HELP OF NATALIYA AND JENNI TWO OF CND EDUCATION AMBASSADOR NAIL ARTISTS WHO KNOW IT ALL, TO HELP YOU WITH ALL OF YOUR NAIL ART QUESTIONS.

SO PLEASE POSTOR REPOST YOUR QUESTIONS THERE AND HAVE FUN. :Love:

TECHNICAL QUESTIONS KEEP THEM COMING.

Last edited:
I've searched this thread using key word "Gelish" but didn't see that the question has been asked yet...

Can Brisa Lite Sculpting and Smoothing be used under Gelish? I use both Shellac and Gelish......:Love:

How much would you charge for a repair? Just out of interest.

Ooooo good question...
Would u charge the same for the smoothing gel as shellac?
And then add 20% ontop for the shellac...(hope that makes sence)
But then how much would u charge for just the sculpting gel using sculpting acrylic instead of tips?
And then like u say how much if a client wants 1 built up with sculpting gel but the rest just the smoothing gel?
X x x

I've searched this thread using key word "Gelish" but didn't see that the question has been asked yet...

Can Brisa Lite Sculpting and Smoothing be used under Gelish? I use both Shellac and Gelish......:Love:

Yes it can. We do however encourage systems use because systems work best together.

Last edited:
Ooooo good question...
Would u charge the same for the smoothing gel as shellac? yes
And then add 20% ontop for the shellac...(hope that makes sence) yes
But then how much would u charge for just the sculpting gel using sculpting acrylic instead of tips? The Same as for any other enhancement service
And then like u say how much if a client wants 1 built up with sculpting gel but the rest just the smoothing gel? I'm sure you can work that out for yourself in line with your pricing.
X x x

Hope that helps

Last edited:
We charge £5 per and £3 for each additional one ;)

Exactly, you have to remember it is your time and for a person to sit in your chair for whatever, it's going to be a minimum of 15 minutes which means you have to charge the appropriate amount for that time.

Last edited:
Just rebalanced my CND L&P nails with my lovely new Brisa Lite. Is this OK to do on clients or is there any reason why I shouldn't? I had soaked off one hand but thought I would see how a rebalance looked.

Hi all

Can someone tell me where you get the 'Silver' template from that they use in the new BL Sculpting Video?
The attach it to a clear form and cut to size to give the form strength, it also helps with the dowels

Thank you in advance xx

Latest posts

Back