Am I too old to enter the beauty industry?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HI !

I've just gone back into beauty and I'm possitively ANCIENT compared to most therapists.

Just remember even young beauty therapists get old eventually !!!

Yo
Meridenxx:lol::lol::lol:

your neva to old to do anything i dont think go for it!! x

Hey, you're NEVER too old to follow your dreams!

Im 41 and started training 2 years ago and now work from home. I am loving it and I think my clients prefer a more mature person to treat them. I am loving every minute of it and my thirst for learning is insatiable, Im always adding new skills to my my menu. You go for it and if its really what you want to do, dont let anyone put you off. x

I started beauty at 51!!!!
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

i currently work as a health care assistant, have recently qualified as a makeup artist and was planning to take further training in other fields of beauty but a colleague commented that perhaps im too old to offer beauty treatments .. im almost 40 :cry:

this has really put me off my stroke, i wanted to learn other beauty skills as i thought makeup wouldnt be so popular during the recession, am i really too old ? how long can i realistically work as a beauty therapist if i do decide to go for it? and can any of you recommend any popular beauty treatments that a customer wouldnt mind an oldie like me performing on them? i was thinking manicures, pedicures and facials

many thanks
blush09

People have always said to me that I am full of conversation and make them feel at ease...something which maybe when I was a lot younger I was not so good at and would have been embarassed about....I'm 33 and have been in the beauty biz 8 years, did my training 8 years ago and love this industry to bits. Go for it!

Hi, I'm nearly 36 and am currently studying hairdressing and beauty therapy. At first I thought I might be to old but have found that there's people of all ages studying. I'm really enjoying it and am proud of myself for doing it. I think your colleague is probably jealous because they've not got the get up and go like you have, Good Luck!!

I trained at the grand old age of 55 after divorcing and having to change career direction. I was the eldest in my year at Champneys college but not the eldest they had had.
I now have my own very successful salon at the age of 58. Clients really like having someone older about, sometimes I think they feel intimidated by young pretty therapists.
You go for it and good luck

I am 44 and just started my training....inspired by a lady who treated me on a spa day who was older than me. I am not the oldest on my course. Sometimes being a bit older and two babies given birth too it can be a bit intimidating exposing ones body and saggy bits to have a treatment. If the therapist is gorgeous, thin and young....well that can make it even more intimidating. Hopefully everyone out there is very reassuring and professional I am sure, but especially if you are an older client it can be comforting to have an older therapist. I have also found that some younger clients can be lacking in confidence too and having a bit of life experience can be helpful there too. Go for it and dont let anyone put you off.

No way are you too old hun, I was 39 when I went to college to start my beauty course. There was a woman who was 45 and one who was nearly 50 who were both in my class so go for it. :)

Listen to yourself and just be you .I think at 40 we need to be who we are and listen to our instinct go for it 40 isnt old enjoy it and be you Im sure youve earned the right . I love being 40 i love not worring about what others think those who know you love you those who dont "well who cares" Enjoy life and enjoy your job of your own choice:smack:Good luck Go for it......

My step mum decided to change careers and enter the beauty industry when she was 54! 2 years on she is self employed and is building a great business working from home.

You go for it!!! xx

Go for it!!! you already have the enthusiasm and expertise of dealing with people. All you need now is the qualifications!! and then your set. Im sure that you will really blossom as a therapist, don't let age be a barrier to your success. Let me know how you get on.
x

go for it , it is never to late to do what you want!

and life begins at 40 doesn't it? :)

Sounds like a touch of jealousy there *hugs* I am thinking about starting a beauty therapy course in September and I will be 40 next month. Not read all thru the posts, but I'm sure someone will have said that we will make better therapists x I started studying again at 36/37 and now qualified in Reflexology, Aromatherapy, Indian Head Massage, Hopi, and now doing Swedish, so go for it and good luck xx

hi sorry i haven't read all the posts :o but my sister has just started in beauty college and she is just turned 50, so i dont think age matters once she is happy, and she enjoys her self, byt thats just my thoughts :lol: .

Life begins at 40! Im 34 and im preparing to open a beauty salon shortly. I dont know too much about performing treatments etc but im learning every day (im more involved in the business side of things). Ive got great staff who ive put a lot of trust in and we bounce off one another! Once the business is up and running, I hope to squeeze in a part time course at college and hopefully i'll be able to join my therapists in treating clients! I say go for it! I did and im loving every minute!

Hi,
I read your posts and now I feel a little bit better. I am 45 and I think to start my training in beauty. I do not really know how to start.
I have some knowledge in beauty (Christine Valmy Esthetic and Skin Care) and massage but I need more practie.
Becouse I have no friends or family here to practice on, I think it is better to find a place with this option (practice in a salon).
I am lving in Thamesmead (close to Kent-Sidcup, Erith and Greenwich).
If you the Geeks have any ideea will be more than welcome.
Thanks, Keti

I did my C&G level 2 at Adult Ed last year aged 34. A woman on the course with me was 48 and she is now employed as Champney's makeup artist in Brighton. The only thing putting us off entering the profession as at a maturer age is the attitudes of people like you've encountered. When all is said and done the effectiveness of a treatment and the experience you have is nothing to do with your therapists age, it's to do with their competance and passion for their job.

Good luck and GO FOR IT!
:)

I'm 31 and hoping to start colege in spetember to do NVQ beauty therapy level 2!
I have been a client and I thought I can do it if she can!

As Voodoo mentioned earlier I too would choose the older mature therapist over a teenage (sorry dont want to be ageist) but its my prefrence, I too have had two children and got wobbly bits!:eek:

GO FOR IT I SAY!

Latest posts

Back