Am I too old to enter the beauty industry?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blush09

Reaction score
i currently work as a health care assistant, have recently qualified as a makeup artist and was planning to take further training in other fields of beauty but a colleague commented that perhaps im too old to offer beauty treatments .. im almost 40 :cry:

this has really put me off my stroke, i wanted to learn other beauty skills as i thought makeup wouldnt be so popular during the recession, am i really too old ? how long can i realistically work as a beauty therapist if i do decide to go for it? and can any of you recommend any popular beauty treatments that a customer wouldnt mind an oldie like me performing on them? i was thinking manicures, pedicures and facials

many thanks
blush09

Ok first, you need to give that collegue of yours a kick!!! Of course your'e not too old.

I started college age 36 and am now fully qualified and have my own salon, all done within 3 years. DO NOT allow anyone to question your dreams. Go for it and anjoy every minute. Oh and btw, I wasn't the eldest on my course either!

I got into this industry at 40 and I think you will find that many geeks did too!

Why should your age have anything to do with it? You have life experience and wisdom to offer.:)

You have life experience and wisdom to offer.:)

Couldn't agree more ....this will set you above the rest of the class and enable you to be better prepared to take on the ups and down's of running your own business.

You go for it ..be self confident in what YOU do and believe in and together with your "life experience" you will be far better prepared than most.

Good luck:hug:

P.S. I would most certainly suggest that you go back to the college and the individual who made those comments concerning your age and set them right...cheeky blighter :smack:

please your collague needs to wise up! She is the one who needs to get with the times it takes all sorts of people at different ages to do jobs. Defo dont be put off by this:hug:

Your age will not go against you, if anything it helps to be a mature therapist as the clients have more faith in a lady of your age compared to a young girl of 17/18
the treatments you have mentioned are good, spray tanning is popular too as people are becoming more aware of the dangers with sun beds,
and if you have a lot of asian/indian client potential, threading is really popular with that category, hth :hug:

I don't think age has anything to do with it and I think its unfair when people say you are to young/old.

We all have to start somewhere and most clients have a preference some don't like newly qualified therapists (of ANY age) some don't like younger or older and some don't like mature therapists that have been doing it for god knows how many years and haven't updated their skills. The list is endless but there are also clients that aren't in the slightest bit bothered how old the therapist is they just want the treatment done.

I have met good & bad therapists of all ages. But no I don't think you are anywhere near 'old' your not even 40 yet ! Thats still young !! When I was at college there was a lady in my class that was 58 :) xx

hiya
i think thats awful that she said that dont let it knock your confidence and go for it! i think most clients prefer older therapists for the maturity, do all the treatments you want to train and do dont worry about feeling your too old to do certain ones like everyone has said your never too old! good luck

hiya
i think thats awful that she said that dont let it knock your confidence and go for it! i think most clients prefer older therapists for the maturity, do all the treatments you want to train and do dont worry about feeling your too old to do certain ones like everyone has said your never too old! good luck
I agree totally:)
I cannot believe someone said that to you! Personally I would rather have a more mature person giving me a treatment so you go for it - and by the way 40 is NOT old!!!!

I was 41 before I even started thinking about this wonderful industry, and that's about 306 in Gay Years !! :) :)

In all serious though - the confidence you gain after 30 is a splendid advantge in my humble opinon. Works for me!

Best of luck from sunny Devon! x

i qualified with city and guilds hairdressing when i was 21 beauty 3years later . i left the industry for years just doing the odd homer! then at the ripe old age of50!!! i am back learning and still doing it and about to start another course all refresher but i am the oldest in the class and i think you'll find that most colleges are full of mature students you see we can relate to people better because of age and experience of life, just as fiona says, so stop being daft and get out there and learn what you want your not dead yet!!! and tell your colleague to wise up! :irked: you will do great :hug:

The lady who does my waxing is in her mid 40s and she is fab. If you're offering a good service, then surely age shouldn't come into it?

I was 44 when I opened my salon, and my ladies tell me that it's very refreshing to have someone older and wiser see to their needs. Remember too that we therapists often are perceived as counsellors as well!

I am 43 and in my last year of 2 year itec. I started a City of Guilds when I left school then had to stop for family reasons and always regretted it. Worked for years as a PA earning good money and hated. Left to have a family and did part time office work for a family business and still hated it, so one day I looked at the lady waxing my legs and decided I could be her if I was brave enough to take the chance and do something I really wanted to do. I have had similar comments from the collage and it is really discouraging and horrible I know, but I have had none from clients and they are all ages and all shapes and sizes. So go for it, I am sure you will be great. Good luck and all the best xxx

I trained when I was 18 and worked for many years in beauty therapy. I came back to it this last year and had the same thoughts as you. At 43 would I be too old. When I was younger I cannot recall seeing a therapist past 30! All make up counter girls were young too. However as holistic therapies became popular it attracted people of all ages and both sexes and then also into beauty therapy. I think it is good it has opened up and like has been mentioned there are good and not so good therapists and I think it is your outlook and professionalism that counts not a number - so dismiss negative comments and be proud of your age and what you do.:hug:

Think you've got your answer!! LOL I started training last year, when I was 49 xx

I cannot believe a colleague said you're too old!! That would make me more inclined to GO FOR IT!! I did my Beauty Therapy training in my early thirties and I'm only now getting back into it as a career. You're only as old as you feel and as for your 'friend' she's probably just jealous of you and your plans for a career change. Good luck hun - I'm sure you'll be just fine :hug:

I agree with all that's been said by everyone on this subject. I am 45 and in my salon one of the girls is 19 and the other 24 and the three of us work really well together. Different clients have different needs; some are happy to book in with any of us for any treatment, others specify which therapist they would like their treatment with.
I enjoy carrying out all treatments, I like the variety. The only situation I find can be a little tiring is if I am fully booked eg in the summer months, and have three or more full body massage clients in a row, as massage is quite a physically demanding treatment. Having said that I am off to do an introductory 'No Hands Massage' course in March as I love doing massage anyway, so that should be interesting and helpful.
But that is only one very small drawback I can think of - and actually I'm sure a lot of therapists half my age would feel tired too.
So as for that person who tried to put you off, just ignore them and go for it. And the very best of luck to you x x :hug:

Well I'm 38 and I have just qualified in level 2 nails and I wasn't the oldest in the class but I wasn't far off. I'm doing level 3 nails at the moment and I am the oldest in the class, one student is 37 all the rest are early 20's and in their teens. Even the tutor is in her early 30's. Do I care, I could'nt care less.

Age is a state of mind.

In fact I was well flattered cos the younger students asked me to go out with them on the christmas night out, but cos I have mobility issues I couldn't go, shame really.

So you go for it, follow your dreams and you'll be happier for it!

GOOD LUCK :)

anne xx

just another thought on this, if a mature woman who looks good is at the window of the business she attracts other mature woman into the business because they all want to know the secrets ......:lol:

Latest posts

Back