Am I too old to re train as a makeup artist?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry this sodding phone I will scream in a minute its useless! I felt I was just abit misslead in what you get offered on the course. They take u shopping to makeup stores though and who doesn't love that! But jana is an odd character! I struggled on the more creative days but natural beauty bridal and some fashion I enjoyed. Ur never too old either! So dnt let age be a factor! If anything it helps you relate to most customers sometimes I feel my age being younger I find it hard to relate. X
Posted via Mobile Device

I know someone else mentioned you tube but that's a good point there's two sisters called chapman sisters I believe there amazing down to earth and they do makeup courses now too! X
Posted via Mobile Device

Retrain, retrain, retrain....you're never too old. I qualified in beauty therapy July of last year and I'm 37!!! Go for it, you'll only end up thinking 'what if', and that is just a crappy feeling. :green:

Hi Sarah
I think what you are doing is the right thing, there are good opportunities in the areas you are looking at and of course the important thing, money to be made. I have just taken on a lady at 55 as a make up artist, she trained in the 70's, had a family and came back in 2007. She is fantastic, has a very keen eye, is great with the clients both younger and older ones alike and is a calming influence on my younger staff. They love her and think she's the best. Age is no issue and your confidence will grow when you begin your path. I wish you the very best of luck.

:green:

wow .. have only just logged back on, cant believe all the messages of encouragement from you all - and with this being my first post as well

i dont know any of you, but you're all angels for taking the time and effort to respond - i can feel myself welling up, thank you all so much

i have taken all your comments on board and have decided not to rush into anything, but to just give myself a little more time to build on my self confidence as i know this is whats holding me back, it will also enable me to research properly for a suitable course

funnily enough, it was samantha chapman i was thinking of doing the 1-1 with, but she's based in norwich so may be a little tricky for me to travel to - however, the more i think about it, the more i think a 1-1 is the way to go

make up was my only escape from an unhappy marriage, i would always gravitate towards the make up counters whilst out shopping and spend what little money i had to myself on goodies to try out back home - id usually sit in front of the pc with a mirror and copy various looks from youtube until i was able to master them without copying from the screen

i did all the makeup for my daughters and their friends when they were having their proms, 18th parties etc - and got lots of lovely compliments and even a few enquiries which at the time i never followed through as didnt have a proper set up

so although im fairly good with the practical i know i have lots more to learn, appart from the dreaded theory!

once again, many thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply to my post - its much appreciated

sarah

retraining is a fantastic opertunity. I myself have just gone back to collge to study beauty and I'm 30 . I have always wanted to do beauty ended uppregnant at 18 and was sent out to work by my mother she wouldnt let me go to college it was naggin me for years but now i grabbed the bull by the horns and went back in sept. I love it so much and im sure you will aswell. Have great time with your dsecission you never know what direction it will take you :)

Hi Sarah

At 38 I left a well paid job and retrained as a beautician, 3 years down the line I've never looked back and apart from the lack of money at the moment due to setting up on my own, I'm enjoying every moment of it.

Go for it, you wont regret it, it's rare to have a job / career that you absolutely love, I know lots of people who go to work on a Monday wishing it was Friday.

Good luck

Carla

Hi I justwanted to tell you that I am 44 and a cnd nail tech and I love it I dont have many clients at the min ive just got some flyers and am going to post them, I love it I have a nail room at home and am always messing in it. You go for it and you will feel so much better. good luck in all you do. Take care. Siobhan x :hug: x x

thanks again for all your encouraging messages!

Iam a make up artist that has been out of it for a long time and I am re starting as there is a demand, I am 46 years young, together with nails and I am a hairstylist , my point is that make up artist used to be people with artistic talent not a typical cosmetic rep, ie very bonny and plastered with make up, as we were often on location working until late at night on shoots and so our image was not conjusive to selling the product, so take heart age can be on your side as your image is of experiance and if it is your dream than it is an absolute must you try it. A lot of television make up can be difficult to get into, stage make up is good fun, photographic shoots are flippin hard work, but bridal well here is a good niche , this is my opinion and could be out dated and to be fair I am now not in the UK, but for what it's worth!!!Go on a short course to start with to see if it really is up your street and then go for a longer more comprehensive , perhaps photographic/ bridal one. good luck:)

i have just come out of a messy divorce .. we were married 18 yrs and after i had my first child at 19 he didnt like me working, i went on to have another 2 kids and once they were at school i tried to go to college to learn some skills, educate myself etc but he always made it difficult for me, saying he couldnt babysit, we couldnt afford the kits and books etc - this sent me into a down ward spiral of lack of confidence, self esteem and eventually depression which im only just coming out of
i was recently left some money from a great aunt, and whilst deciding what to buy the kids i suddenly had a lightbulb moment a decided to spend it on .. MYSELF !
i have always dreamed of working as a makeup artist, and although i realise its too late for me to train to work in TV - not practical as i still have 2 teenagers at home etc .. i thought perhaps i could use my mini windfall to pay for a foundation makeup course and offer bridals, lessons and perhaps even photographic / editorial makeup services
the problem is, my self confidence is still pretty low and i keep telling myself that at 41 im ridiculous to even consider re training in such a glamorous field of beauty .. what you think? am i being too hard on myself?
would love to hear positive stories from any geeks who have retrained in their late 30's early 40's
great site by the way, i can see myself logging on here often - cup of coffee in hand!
thanks, sarahc

You're never too old to try something new. It will give you something positive to focus on!

I'm 46, I started with nails, added waxing then tanning and this year intend to do more nail courses followed by facial and make up. I've always worked where the money was, hated most of what I did and now feel it's my turn.
The theory is actually fun, not like school, everything you learn is important to what you do and that makes it fun.
The first course I took I thought I'd be the oldest one there, I wasn't, the youngest one there was 30 and the oldest was 52. I've never regretted taking this path. I don't think you will either:hug:

DO IT!!!! I'm 39 this year and last year completely retrained in Beauty and Nails and set my own business up. Totally wish I'd done it years ago but never too late - main thing is if youre happy.....and your clients happy too!
Sharon xx

and although i realise its too late for me to train to work in TV - not practical as i still have 2 teenagers at home etc

A friend of mine works for a main channel here in Brisbane doing the newsreaders and a soapie. She has four kids, is 44 and has regular work. She works on average four hours a day. So don't cancel anything out. Anything is possible when you want it. I know that sounds so clichéd but it works. No doubt you realise the importance of a reputable school so there's no need to go there. But you have practical experience so you'll already a step ahead.

As an aside, I find this thread is so encouraging. While I trained some years ago, I got out of the industry for a while and am in the process of getting back into it again and I'm a lot older than 20! :green: It's fantastic to read of the enthusiastic responses. It really invigorates the spirit. :hug:

go for it hun i have been a beauty therapist and hairdresser for 11 years at 39 i trained in media and theatrical make up and now i am training to be a tutor and an assessor at 41 years young dont let anyone tell you you are to old for anything. good luck

life is too short go for it !!!!!!! x

Go Girl! I was 40 when I changed direction and I'm so much happier these days. You can bring along all your life skills!

IMHO from a business point of view; focus on your niche and plunder it shamelessly! :) :) Unless you prefer to work in a crowded market and are prepared to build up your client base more slowly.

In the words of Gwen Stefani - "What are you waiting for?"

Jason :hug:

I started training as an holistic therapist in my late 40's and then started on beauty course in my fifties. You are never too old. I thoroughly enjoy what I do. It has changed my life. You go for it.

hi i have just finished my training in beauty therapy and i am 49 !!! some of my clients say they feel more comfortable with me because i am older so it can work in your favour . you go for it i am sure you wont be sorry jules xxxx

Go for it!! you'll only regret it otherwise. I'm at college at the moment, there's a lady in my class who's 51. In other classes there's older again. I'm 31 and thought maybe i'd be in the class with school leavers but actually there's lots of mature students. Go girl!!

Latest posts

Back