Am I too old??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hands_Only

Nail Professional
Reaction score
Hi all

I was just looking into hairdressing as it's another thing that interests me. But what I am asking is would you take on an apprentice age 30???
I think I could be too old to start a new career/skill.

Thanks in advance for the replys.

Angela

hi hun I am 37 in september the same day i go back to college to start my level 3 in hairdressing....I have completed 2 years at the local college and i have loved it..i even got student of the year for both years, and won comps...andi had never done hair in my life .I was in the older bracket but even the youngens we all got on brill...
becasue of my age i have totally put 120 % into it..this is a complete career change from..being in the navy to being a nail technician in my 30's to hairdressing late 30's..........go for it:hug::hug::hug:

Thanks for that Joanne.

I used to work in offices with computers then changed to do nails but now I wanna do hairdressing I love the industry.
I think I will look into going to college too.

Thanks again
Angela

No way hun 30 isn't old at all, if you have the desire to learn something new and you are interested enough you will learn with no problems at all.

Go for it and good luck! x :)

I started off in hair and we had an apprentice that was 60. It really bugs me when people say they are too old to do certain things. Older people, we all know are more reliable and nobody is too old to do anything they want to do!!
Go for your dreams and forget about your age because you don't want to be reaching 60 saying to yourself 'oh i wish i'd have done that'
Good luck xxx

I do hope its not , Im 38 and hope to do hairdressing in the future..:)

I don't feel too old to learn but you know that when salons advertise for apprentices they usually mean a kid who just left school.

I hope I can do it as I working with people and I get a buzz out of clients so fingers crossed I find someone who would be willing to take me on.

Thanks guys I appreciate it

Angela xxx

Definately not too old! You're as young as you feel -Go for it!

(Me to ) 37 and going on to do my level 3 in sep.

Way to go x follow your dreams and whatever makes you happy age is just a number , who cares about age :lol: I certainly don't , as long as you enjoy what you are doing in life x :hug:

I don't feel too old to learn but you know that when salons advertise for apprentices they usually mean a kid who just left school.

I hope I can do it as I working with people and I get a buzz out of clients so fingers crossed I find someone who would be willing to take me on.

Angela xxx

I think they are only after young people as they don't have to pay them much. I used to get £15 per day lol but i left to do an apperentiship in a really good salon and an assessor came to me in my work place. That wage was a lot better.
You will just have to look around hun but i'm sure you will find something that works for you xxx

hi,your not too old, but unfortunately no salon will take you on as an apprentice due to the wage factor, college is your best bet with a day release in a salon. ive worked in the same salon for 17 yrs and i know what my boss is like. hope this helps. ps its not nice taking orders off someone half your age.:)

Angela xxx

GO FOR IT!!!! I had a lady on my course who was 49 and she was working in a salon as a trainee!! X

I generally lurk around in the nail geek section but thought I'd add my two penneth :green: You're never too old to do something you're passionate about. I turn 40 next month and only re-trained to do nail enhancements with CND last December. I have plans to do further training in the future too - I've never looked back. I wish you the very best of luck with your future and training :hug:

Thanks folks for all the comments, I have looked into colleges and hope to have something sorted soon.

Thanks again
Angela xx

I dont think your ever too old, go for it if thats what you want to do dont let anything stop you, good luck x

I am glad I read this post now.

I worked in an accountants for 10 years then ran my hubbies courier business with him for the last 8 years and was driving a long wheelbase transit. Then I decided to train in beauty and nails which I have done and I am soon to complete my Level 3 Nails cours. I would love to do a hairdressing course and have also been looking them, I am 43 and thought I was too old but now I don't feel old at all. :)
Thanks guys

No way dear Girl, I was 50 when I started a beauty therapy course and at 52 I went self employed and Im always busy.
Go for it and very best wishes.
Val

I was 39.....im now soon to be 40......could I flip back to 30.......I wish....

Age is a good thing in this industry I think xx

OMG no you are never to old to train in something you are passionate about. I have being doing beauty and hair all my life, I love it but when I was young wanted to be a designer, well here goes I am doing a degree in fashion and design.

Think Ugly Betty !!!!

Latest posts

Back