American Manicure?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow! where im from, an american manicure is a V shaped smile line.
learn something new everyday!

TBQH, they should rename French Polish to American polish, the French prefer a more natural look, whereas the Americans are loud and proud as to their fake nails, lips , hair, boobs, lashes.

Had to edit twice.... I almost forgot the fake teeth..... shame on me.

We just follow (almost blindly) in their (the Americans) footsteps because thats where all our products are made and the literature accompanying it.

Wouldn't it be great to develop an original style that was more representative of your own country and lifestyle.? Or will the whole world be American one day?

But the French Manicure did originate on the catwalks of Paris - models used white pencil under their free edge...... I know our friends in the US have pushed this concept from a short natural but whitened free edge to the long white square we are now used to calling 'a french', but the look does have it's origins in France......but then I'm assuming you know this already!!

Hi guys,

Sooooooo many of my clients prefer the American compared to the french. Especially the older clients for a more natural colour. I use the China Glaze polishes and I have to say they are fantastic. I use the American Beige for the Tip and the "Innocence" colour for the pink. Its a stunning pink. Highly reccomended. HTH

Do you all know why the American Manicure was invented long ago??

It was so that nail technicians could paint it on their nasty yellowing acrylic to make it look pretty again. To revive it.

I have no need to use it ever with my products which always look pretty and never ever yellow. For clients who want this look I just use a natural colour for the tip and Perfect Pink or Intense Pink for the rest. Permanent American Manicure.

But the French Manicure did originate on the catwalks of Paris - models used white pencil under their free edge...... I know our friends in the US have pushed this concept from a short natural but whitened free edge to the long white square we are now used to calling 'a french', but the look does have it's origins in France......but then I'm assuming you know this already!!

It did originate in France . . . . . too bad it was an American who invented it though! lol
(Jeff Pink for Orly)

It did originate in France . . . . . too bad it was an American who invented it though! lol
(Jeff Pink for Orly)

Ooh, I didn't know that bit!! Thanks......:hug:

I had an American nail polish kit once (before i wised up)
The instructions were to paint on the beige first, then paint the pink in the base area, leaving the free edge it's original color, than a topcoat.

Funny thats the American polish was more subtle (so not American):)

TBQH, they should rename French Polish to American polish, the French prefer a more natural look, whereas the Americans are loud and proud as to their fake nails, lips , hair, boobs, lashes.

Had to edit twice.... I almost forgot the fake teeth..... shame on me.

We just follow (almost blindly) in their (the Americans) footsteps because thats where all our products are made and the literature accompanying it.

Wouldn't it be great to develop an original style that was more representative of your own country and lifestyle.? Or will the whole world be American one day?
HMMMM, if I didn't know better I would be offended.

My boobs are real, my teeth my own, eye lashes again my own (they are plenty long on their own) and my nails- well OK, enhanced, but (and it's a fairly good sized one since I'm not about to go in for liposuction or some other ridiculous medical procedure- I'm a human not a barbie doll) I wear my enhancements fairly short and usually natural or soft white for the tip.

Not all of America fits the image presented in trade magazines- each region has it's own flavor and style. The east and west coast may fit the "image" however middle America, rural America and some individual areas would most likely surprise you. We're not plastic, fake or surgically re eingineered, but honest to goodness people who just like to look nice and enjoy taking care of ourselves.

Don't polish all of us with the same stark white brush, we're individuals with our own sense of style- all of which are different!!

HMMMM, if I didn't know better I would be offended.

My boobs are real, my teeth my own, eye lashes again my own (they are plenty long on their own) and my nails- well OK, enhanced, but (and it's a fairly good sized one since I'm not about to go in for liposuction or some other ridiculous medical procedure- I'm a human not a barbie doll) I wear my enhancements fairly short and usually natural or soft white for the tip.

Not all of America fits the image presented in trade magazines- each region has it's own flavor and style. The east and west coast may fit the "image" however middle America, rural America and some individual areas would most likely surprise you. We're not plastic, fake or surgically re eingineered, but honest to goodness people who just like to look nice and enjoy taking care of ourselves.

Don't polish all of us with the same stark white brush, we're individuals with our own sense of style- all of which are different!!

Never wise to generalize is it?? It is true that 'Americans' are`portrayed the way they are, in the world media. As an american living in the UK I used to get very annoyed about it.

Not all Americans are like Jerry Springer guests (thank god). It always makes me laugh that they can sit on stage with no teeth, but they always have their nails done!!

Other nations are portrayed falsely as well. One has to get out there and meet the real people ... do some travelling ... and then all the preconceived ideas suddenly change. It is all about education at the end of the day.

Not all Americans are like Jerry Springer guests (thank god). It always makes me laugh that they can sit on stage with no teeth, but they always have their nails done!!

Very funny, I will be up close to the screen now to try and see their nails! :)

I have to agree, You shouldn't judge everyone the same, I lived in Orange County California for 8 years and Ok some are fake but alot are not,
If you wanted to get picky you could easily turn around and say alot of Australians are living mostly in the past and the men are extremely chauvanistic!!

but we won't get picky will we :)

hi there. star nails do a nice american manicure set and so do supernails and neither are to expensive which is a bonus:lol:

I have to agree, You shouldn't judge everyone the same, I lived in Orange County California for 8 years and Ok some are fake but alot are not,
If you wanted to get picky you could easily turn around and say alot of Australians are living mostly in the past and the men are extremely chauvanistic!!

but we won't get picky will we :)

Have to say I don't get that one.

Have to say I don't get that one.

I think she is having a 'pop' at nailzoo because he made fun of americans. I know wendy ... she's just having a little fun at his expense ... makes a change from him doing it ... love him as I do!

Now let's get back on topic peeps.

Now let's get back on topic peeps.
A Western American manicure-

Soft white or Beige for the free edge, soft ovals or very soft squares are the preferred shape, the free edge is polished first then a coat of a sheer soft pink (similar in tone to Gigi's special custom blend color) or sheer peach, depending on skin tone is applied over the entire nail including the free edge, further softening the white.

In our region, the stark hard white has given way to colored L & P and have become an accessory that is soaked off and replaced to match clothing (ridiculous practice, but if that's what the client wants and is willing to pay for who am I to stop them) or when the enhancements are rebalanced a new color is chosen for the smile line- a purple smile line very detailed and crisp with a black tip, as it grows and is rebalanced the length is reduced and a new color, hot pink maybe is chosen for the smile line only now the tip is pink. Still obvious in the "fake" but no different than the purple streak that is running through the fringe of a twenty something.:rolleyes:

Artificial nails that are outrageously artificial are in the same classification as key rings, cell phone covers and ring tones- just an accessory, the average Joe, well, pretty natural- we don't want ski patrol to be blinded by the blinging white nails and wreck!!:lol:

I used to use american man (star nails variety) on my fibreglass nails (when I was still new to it) it gave a lovely definition to the nail and looked so pretty - it was different to all of the other nails I had seen.

There would be people who would know if I had done their nails because of the way they looked.

It was a full coat of creamy beige to the entire nail -

then the 'jam' coloured pink (or the orangey shade)to the nail bed only.

and if you wanted it brighter - you could add another coat of the cream to the free edge

Finish with clear.

But these days I dont need to put that on enhancements. Still would look subtle on natural nails I m guessing.

Never wise to generalize is it?? It is true that 'Americans' are`portrayed the way they are, in the world media. As an american living in the UK I used to get very annoyed about it.

Other nations are portrayed falsely as well. One has to get out there and meet the real people ... do some travelling ... and then all the preconceived ideas suddenly change. It is all about education at the end of the day.
i live in rural oklahoma and everyone around here is toothless with their nails done. ok not all, but A LOT! hahaha but in their defense is a lot cheaper to have your nails done than it is to get teeth since no one has insurance:eek:

Latest posts

Back