any advice welcome

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rock chic

Reaction score
Hi you guys i'm on maternity leave at the minute had a back to work interview today i wanted to go back part time cause i wanted to start my home based salon up in a few months starting with a mostly evenings so h2b could mind the baby so we cut childcare, i love my job but the only days i can get someone i trust and pay can only do it at the start of week, guess what they offered me friday and saturday said i was the key to their business and these were the busiest days what babysitter in their right mind wants to babysit every saturday. I so do not know what to do know, i feel disappointed as i helped them out so much while on maternity leave and built the business up thi last six years, but i feel they cant even meet me half way. Now i dont know wether to give it up completly and set my mind on my business but i'm afraid of taking that step and i do love my job!:cry:

oooh
thats a tough one hun... i can understand the prob... have u explained the child care issue??? all i can think of is if u helped them out when on maternity you offer the same help and ask for different days..... sorry if this didnt help just wnted you to know others understand.. good luck hun,,H x

i know heln its so tough to be honest i thoght they would meet me half way but it doesn seem that why! they are going to send me a letter stating the reasons so see what happens from there.:hug::hug:

I totally understand how you feel hun.All i can say is while i was on maternity leave i was made redundant,so instead of finding another job in a salon i am now working for myself as a mobile therapist.Its the best desision i ever made,its great to be flexible and work the hours that suit you.I can work around my husbands hours,so no childcare expenses.You answer to nobody and you represent yourself.If you cant get the hours you want i would take the plunge and work for yourself instead...good luck hun xxx

Surely if you're 'the key to the business' & clients liked you and your treatments, then it shouldn't matter what days you worked - clients would come to see you regardless of when you were in the salon.

thanks geeks yeah well i thought so i have worked mobile for a good wee while myself so have good few clients built up,do alot of weddings(need to built up a portfolio). I dont actually work in a salon for clarins i sell it in a health and beauty shop. i'm bit annoyed cause i trained the girl who covered my maternity and surely to have me two days is better than none. No one else who came back after having a baby has been asked to do this, i found somedays my mondays and tuesdays could be busier than saturdays. god i dunno.:hug::hug:

Hi Tina I feel for you. You give your all and it seems that they do not want to support you as you feel they should. It seems like a turning point. At least you have some clients to start with which is a great start. I decided to go back to beauty now my son is due to start school this year. I am just starting working from home in a new area with no previous client base but the potential for flexibility is great. That is what is driving me on. I wish you luck in what you decide to do. :):)

good luck to you to essentia, i honestly think they cant be bothered even trying to accomadate me like when you have a family your no good any more,this is not against clarins they are a fantatsic company to work unfortunately its the store i work for that make the decision. I'll just have to start thinking whats best to do. keep me posted how your getting on will ya?:hug::hug:

Hi Thank you. If you don't go back keep on good terms with them as you never know what will turn up. Childcare is such a big issue. My nursery has never had enough spaces to allow me to work consistent hours. They try and give everyone some sessions to be fair all round. It can be difficult to balance both work and home. You need an understanding boss!! :)

Can't your partner look after the baby on Saturdays or does he work Sats also.

If he can do the Staurdays, couldn't you have a good look around for a permanent nursery place for Fridays?

I know it's really precious with your first child....we've all been there....

Just think about how much you really need those 2 days at your current place and go from there, if you can make up the money with your mobile and current childcare, why not do that.

I don't think your employer has any obligation to give you the days you want if you were woking full time for them before, as they are obliged to keep your 'old' job open for you, not your newly required part time hours...although they should have a caring attitude to new mums returning to work, if it's not in the interests of their business they don't have to do it.

Have a look at
Acas - Maternity
Maternity leave: returning to work : Directgov - Employment

yeah i'm aware of all that just bit disappointed, but i will work something out. yeah my partner works saturdays to. :)

Hiya:)

I think that this is very very unfair of your boss to be honest! You would have thought that having just had a baby you deserve some understanding and support:(
Do you know what? If you can afford it hun, I would really consider setting up for yourself! That way you only have yourself to answer to! Obviously i realise that its not as easy as it sounds what with setting up costs and losing a set wage for a while however I really think that this would work out great for you in the end:hug:
let me know how u get on mate

Hi i just dont know what to do, i will let you know how it works out. How long have you been doing mobile chick?:hug::hug:

Latest posts

Back