Any camping enthusiasts out there? Help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerries

Reaction score
Hi there!

I am a COMPLETE camping novice - never been camping in my life.

I would really like to surprise my hubby with a camping trip in August, as he really wants to go.

Can anyone give me any clues as to where to start? Or any recommendations? We live in North Wales but are willing to travel.

This may be a daft question - but is camping safe? As in, what if there's some kind of nutter on your camp site...? Have often wondered that :rolleyes:

Any advice/tips/recommendations would be really appreciated as I'm wanting to plan it all!

Thanks guys

Cerries xxx

There are a huge number of different types of sites, from small, with only a toilet block to large chains which have on site entertainment and everything in between.

Are you really camping as in taking your own tent, and everything to cook with etc. or are you looking to go somewhere that it is all set up for you?

Here is just one website to get you started Wales Camp Sites and Caravan Site Search Page UK, England, Scotland, Wales

I just Googled campsites in Wales.

Hey!

Well....I would want to go on a proper camp site with toilets/water/electricity if poss. But I would want us to do our own cooking (or...even better...find a good pub lol)

I googled too but there is soooo much info out there...would be good to have a recommendation of a good site

Sorry, I have only camped in France or the likes of a Hoseasons camp in the UK - there are some really nice Hoseasons camps in the UK where you can have a static caravan or even a chalet thing. I know in Europe they also have Eurocamp type sites where they set up a tent with beds, kitchen stuff etc and you just arrive.

It depends on your level of "camping"

Hi there!

I am a COMPLETE camping novice - never been camping in my life.

I would really like to surprise my hubby with a camping trip in August, as he really wants to go.

Can anyone give me any clues as to where to start? Or any recommendations? We live in North Wales but are willing to travel.

This may be a daft question - but is camping safe? As in, what if there's some kind of nutter on your camp site...? Have often wondered that :rolleyes:

Any advice/tips/recommendations would be really appreciated as I'm wanting to plan it all!

Thanks guys

Cerries xxx

Hi

Can recommend Greenhills campsite in Matlock Bath, Derbyshire. right on the doorstep to the Peak District - lots of lovely walks and other things to do.

Campsite has decent showers, toilets etc and a pub on site! Good playing areas for young kids and older kids.

Hey!

Well....I would want to go on a proper camp site with toilets/water/electricity if poss. But I would want us to do our own cooking (or...even better...find a good pub lol)

I googled too but there is soooo much info out there...would be good to have a recommendation of a good site

Here's a pub in North Wales with a camp site - Three Pigeons Inn - Welcome

Gets my recommendation too - I camped there with some friends from school when we were doing the Duke of Edinburgh's Award - OK that was like 22 years ago (says me feeling *very* old) - when Tiffany's "I Think We're Alone Now" was in the charts - as someone had a ghetto blaster there and was playing that on there amongst other tunes ;)

Hi, I am a camping guru... absolutely love it.
Sorry if I go on...
For a newbie I would suggest going somewhere close for a weekend first. You can get a pop up tent, gas cooker that has canister light, really easy for cooking and boiling the kettle. And you can even get a starter kit thing that has all neccesary utensils and plates etc. Chairs, Air bed, and sleeping bags then your set. Just a weekend will give you an idea on whether you will enjoy your week in august. You dont want to waist your weeks holiday and cost if your not going to have fun.
Once you enjoy that time, you can think about what would make it better for a week. ie, a better/ bigger tent, tables etc.
Ooh, and dont forget a torch and hammer!
As for some wierdo being around, hmm, I have camped a lot in a few different countries, and not once found anything in UK to be concerned with... Oz, and France could be a diff story... Just remember that everyone there is for the same reason, to get back to nature and chill out. I hope you like it :)

I love camping too, but can't help you with any places to go. I'm in Australia, we camp out in the country away from every body and avoid camp sites with other people. We like the peace and quiet and seclusion. We go camping as a family many times a year.

We have a list of food items to bring, usually tinned food, vegies and some meats and things that fit in an esky, plus a list of other items, pillows, blankets etc. and we tick the list off as we pack.

One thing I will say, if your hubby likes camping and you plan this for him and you enjoy it too... that will make his day :green:

This weekend i am off to Black Rock Sands camping, it's a very bacis but clean site. We are going with 5 other families and we have a great time. But wouldn't go for more than a weekend. We like our home comforts too much. A weekend camping is a good idea to see how you get on.
Enjoy!!

I love camping :D

I'm (hopefully!) going again this August, me and my boyfriend try to go every year but seeing as we have had rubbish weather we haven't been as much as we would have liked.

If you want the proper camping experience then I would suggest going to one of the smaller campsites in the countryside. But go somewhere with a toilet block! Pooing in a bucket is something a girl should never do :eek:

I usually go to Buttermere, its in the Lake District and is the most beautiful place I have ever seen :) The campsite is small and surrounded by mountains. There are 2 lakes very close by with lots of lovely walks and lots of streams. There is a pub next to the campsite, a tiny cafe and a little farm shop that sells homemade ice cream. And it has toilet blocks with a shower and a plug for your straighteners :green:

We had a bit of a chicken issue there, everytime we came back from walks there was chickens in our tent! Lol.

Make sure you prepare, pack all the essentials and enjoy!! :)

Latest posts

Back