Any laws regarding dogs in Salons?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I took my dog to my shop, he was young and wild but at least he was is a cute Lhasa. If you don't like it don't go to salons with dogs. I still have my dog but as I now mainly do permanent make up, I am obliged to have the dog out of premises during treatments, council conditions. It is fine doing waxing and stuff.

So is the answer then, check with your local council? There are different laws regarding this for different states in the US so I suppose our council will have it's own law regarding this.

Who knows? I'm just glad that I'm not being shouted at! I'm a sensitive soul! x

I know this went some in the other recent thread about the chewed flip flops but here the only animals allowed are service animals and for me and the health dept related part of my business that is the right decision.

It is obviously a very personal decision if there is indeed a choice to bring them in or not.

I personally would go anywhere where there is an animal for a facial or massage and before you shoot me down I have seen a cat and small dogs lying on made up massage and facial couches, honestly, yuck!

I do understand as well that children can be much yuckier but I don't generally allow them either!

Last edited:
I had a new client for a pedicure on Friday, she was having regular pedicures at another salon and was happy with them but there is a dog that is kept in the salon at all times and the last time she went it kept passing wind :eek: she also said it had become a bit dirty with dog hairs everywhere.
I work from home and have a puppy that sometimes pops in to say hello and a lot of my clients love him and insist on seeing him and some like him to stay in the room!

I like this thread. I love a good debate x

I don't know the law about this.
I do know the law in my salon though. No way on God's earth would I have animals in my salon, period!

Amen to that x

Interesting thread :) ive no idea if there are any laws as such, most likely a council to council thing. For me personally in all honesty i dont really mind as long as the dog is kept clean, friendly and off the furniture and no dog hair about the place. As has been said if people dont like doggies in salons then find a non doggie salon.

One thing i thought off with this thread is when mobile you most probably at some point encounter a dog and this is no different to if a dog was in a salon, so would you down tools or refuse treatment if a dog was present? are you and your tools any less sanitary ;) see what i mean? :)

I personally wouldnt have my yellow lab in my treatment room, the amount of hair my fur ball loses im surprised hes not bald lmao. He also does this mental bouncing off all fours thing out of excitement when he sees new people, friends and family. Hes no shame :)

My last mobile client had a boxer dog that lounged on the sofa and snored the entire way through his mummys treatment love him!

Each to their own i say and bottom line as always with doggies its about owner responsibility.

Love n hugs x x x

As far as im aware the only legal issue with dogs or animals in a commercial property is when its a place where food is prepared or served etc. But in my personal opinion I would not dream of going to a salon if i knew that they allowed dogs to roam around the salon all day long. People say its not unhygienic because the animals dont touch any equipment etc so I suppose if this is the case it may not be too bad. Personally I feel its a bit cruel to the animals as well. Stuck in a salon all day, no walks, no play time etc, and the smells of all those chemicals will be even stronger to a dog's sensitive nose. My dog stays at home while im at work, there he can enjoy himself and stay healthy until i get in

Now this i a subject i got quite anoyed about in another thread.

Im going to try to be as little rude as possible!

BUT what business is it of yours or anyone else who has what in their salon...

Why would the dog be touching sanatized tools.

Could a dog not be sitting nicely in its bed in the corner. I think children are much more dirty.

If your dog does not moult e.g a poodle how will any hairs get anywere.

And how is the dog licking its bum going to make anything dirty unless they are going around licking everything else. And a dogs saliver is anti-septic anyways.

i have a lab and it doesnt lick everything it sees.

If a client dosent like it they dont go to that salon again but when you own a salon surly that is your right to do what you like.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

My mother always said if we fell down and scarped my knee get the dog to lick it as the dog has anti-septic in it's spit. I always thought it was a myth but heard recently that it is true and it was the Egyptians who first discovered this.
I practice from home and I have a dog, I am a bit O.C.D bathing her and her bedding regularly. I hate dog hair on my furniture and floating around in the air. As a rule I don't let her in my room because of the hairs. She is a very well behaved placid Staff, I got her from a rescue home she had been sooo badly treated she was highly strung and nervous of everything. But my clients can't help calling her in and smoothing her and I have to apply Mundo to there hands again. My friend had her nails done the other night quite late in the evening and she brought her mum to walk back with. Her mother called Tiff in ( my dogs name is Tiffany that's what they called her in the dogs home lol) and they both fell asleep on my sofa snoring lol, so we left them there chuckling to our selves until we had finished.xx

What about clients who are allergic to pet hair or saliva?
I have such a bad cat allergy that I can tell when there has been a cat in the room.
For the sake of completeness I actually own a cat and have to take hefty antihistamine pills and a spray otherwise I'd be in A & E!

I've taken my dog into work occasionally but she usually goes to work with Richard instead. If she comes she is allowed in the outer salon but banned from the treatment rooms. I used to drive 20 minutes to the salon so if she had a vet appointment (round the corner from the salon) I would take her in that day. Most clients love her but I know some would be a bit put off by it so it's not something I often do. It's quite common around here to have a shop dog or cat but they are usually just in retail type places, although I don't see a problem with the amount of hair that gets around in a hairdressing salon anyway.

I would never go to a salon with a dog or cat, one i am allergic and two you just don't know what goes on behind closed doors, could look really clean and hygienic but is it really?
Also it is not just salons that have these pets it seems to be in several business' i have been in and will not go in again.

one shop was a craft shop i went in, the dog just wondering around the shop doing what it liked, then as soon as anyone went in the door it poundered across and jumped up at me and frightened my daughter of 7 to death. This is not on.

Also what if the dog etc actally bit someone, because they didn't like the person or they felt threatened etc, and yes i know people say they know there own pets but on many occasions on tv, radio etc a home friendly dog as suddenly just turned and bit someone, so what happens then? put the dog down? bring in a new law? who knows

well lets wait for the happy response:D

Celebalook, you are brave lol!
As I mentioned earlier I now work from home so my cats are usually around somewhere, however I do make sure that they are in the living room when clients are about, this isn't hard as they spend most of their time asleep on the window ledge anyway. I have 2 clients who are really scared of cats so I then just treat everyone as though they are too. They have never set foot in my nail room though xx

My mother always said if we fell down and scarped my knee get the dog to lick it as the dog has anti-septic in it's spit. I always thought it was a myth but heard recently that it is true and it was the Egyptians who first discovered this.

Please read this in the nice tone of voice I intend it to be said in:

Hi I'm sorry but dog saliva is NOT antiseptic. In fact they can carry some nasty bacteria in their mouths. This is an urban myth. Dogs should not be allowed to lick an open wound. They have some friendly bacteria particular to their own species - as do alll species, including humans.

LOL imagine! Letting a dog lick your cut *vom*

If you know your dog you know how it will react to different things. The people that have their dog suddenly turn are people that were in denial about their problem with their dog. A dog dosent go from a nice dog to one that bites it must have issues beforehand.

Or it could be hurt and a good owner would notice this before they left for work. As they may not of ate breakfast or didnt want a morining cuddle or just acting funny it which case they would take them to the vet or leave them at home.

and as for children scared of dogs it is somtimes just stupid and the mothers fault. You must teach kids to we causious but not scared.

I was at my local rec and i was playing ball with my dog and a friends young children all very happy when another family came along and every time my dog went towards their direction they screamed and jumped on their mother. It was stupid my dog wasnt evan that close and was only getting her ball. We left in the end i think it should of been them that left as they were the ones with the problem.

Then another time we were walking down the high street and two kids just grabed honeys tail and pulled it she did not react as shes a lovely dog and used to kids pulling her tail. BUT she could have reacted as it cant be nice having your tail pulled. Parents must teach children not to touch dogs they dont know.
Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

Goodmonkey!
This is the same for cats too. If we ever had a cat who got into a fight and got injured my mum used to always say "leave her to lick her wound, there's something in cats saliva that heals and cleans."
It was only recently when my cat got kicked by a horse and needed an operation to mend her shattered leg that we found this to be a myth. The vet said we had to keep her in a cone so that she didn't lick the wound and infect it.
I've never had a dog though so decided to let someone else reply first. Coward that I am! Lol xx

Too true Chazz.
We were never aloud to touch cats and dogs abroad for fear of rabies when we were kids. I still wouldn't now x

Whilst I'm an animal lover, I couldn't ever consider having one in my salon.

For a start, my mum is very allergic to feathers and fur so it's made me super aware that other people may be, too and I'd hate to feel responsible for setting of a reaction :eek:

Also, the animal 'smell' is not one I'd want - no more than I'd want the smell of smoke - hanging over me whilst having a facial or other relaxing treatment. So I would assume other clients are the same.

It is, quite obviously, up to the individual but you may find yourself alienating a swath of potential clientele.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back