Anything I need to look out for with a breast cancer patient?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyfeet

Reaction score
hi geeks

just a quick question and hoping i don't sound like an idiot for asking. Ok my sister was diagnosed with breast cancer last week. I'm off up to London today to do a shellac manicure including hand and arm massage for her to help lift her spirits. She hasn't started treatment yet and isn't on medication yet but I'm wondering is there anythin i need to be mindful of.

She's got her heart set on asphalt . . . Has been waitin for it since i told her about it, so really want to give her something to smile about even if only for an hour. X x x

I'm very sorry to hear about your sister having breast cancer and I'm sure your 'pamer party' this afternoon will do her the world of good as well as knowing all the amazing things they can do for breast cancer patients these days .. amazing.

Nothing special you need to do .. your being there will be special enough.

ah thanks geeg and great to know. She's really looking forward to it and so am i :) thanks for your kind words and help. X x x

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear about your sister. I wish her luck when her treatment starts. Treatment for cance can leave nails very thin and weak, much like the effect it has on the hair, but you will be fine for now. She's lucky to have your support and care. I hope she enjoys wearing Asphalt x

I can't advise on Shellac but I would like to say that I am sending all the positive thoughts and good energy to you and your sister.

It must be very difficult for all of you.... Be brave and loving- that's what counts more.

Good luck girls! Stay positive and never lose faith xxxxxx

hi geeks

just a quick question and hoping i don't sound like an idiot for asking. Ok my sister was diagnosed with breast cancer last week. I'm off up to London today to do a shellac manicure including hand and arm massage for her to help lift her spirits. She hasn't started treatment yet and isn't on medication yet but I'm wondering is there anythin i need to be mindful of.

She's got her heart set on asphalt . . . Has been waitin for it since i told her about it, so really want to give her something to smile about even if only for an hour. X x x

That is a great question and a really thoughtful thing for you to do for your sister. I wish her all the best with her treatment.

There is a charity called "Look Good Feel Better" - some of the other geeks have mentioned donating their time to it. It is a cancer support charity that helps women manage the visible side effects of cancer treatment. They have loads of information on their website and run workshops in different areas. They might be able to give you some useful information or answer any questions you might have.

www.lookgoodfeelbetter.co.uk

At a later stage, you / she may also want to take a look at "My New Hair" anew charity founded by and inspired by Trevor Sorbie MBE. They have great info for people suffering from hair loss.

www.mynewhair.org

I hope this helps?

Once she starts treatment, your treatments will have to be altered significantly because she will be prone to infection; but as for now, she can enjoy all the magnificence you can heap on her.

I hope you enjoy your day together!

So sorry to hear this.
I can't really advise about the future when and if she starts having chemo or radiation with regards to her nails, but as I have several friend's and friend's of friend's who have had the same I can recommend a book to read by Dr Jane Plant called "Your life in your Hands".
It has helped all the people who have read it and followed the advice and they are all now cancer free or in remission .
Wish her all the best . x

I am sorry to say, I don't think you should perform any massage. Massage is contra-indicated until the 5 year all clear or the cancer becomes terminal. I am really sorry to be the one to say this.

But still, her shellaced nails will look fabulous:hug:

I wasn't even thinking about the massage, Zo Zo. I'm glad you brought that up.

Sorry to hear about this. My sister had beast cancer three years ago and had to undergo surgery and chemotherapy. She is very healthy now. However, the disease can be very depressing because a woman might have to lose her beast(s) and this could take years to recover psychologically. Be with her and cheer her up would help her to get through this.

I would suggest add a layer of Mother Of Pearl (shake it really well) over Asphalt, a nice little twist of the cool colour and would keep her looking at her nails. And if she needs to take chemotherapy and has hair loss, buy her a good wig. I can never forget the glow and smile in my sister's face when she put on the right wig. Wish her all the best!

Huni

If you want I can email you a fantastic publication I came across recently about the massage and breast cancer. I got it from cancer research or similar website. It says all about the holistic and massage therapies and the benefit for cancer patient x

I had recently a post breast cancer patient and I found this publication very useful. Her GP signed the consent form without hesitation and was actually surprised when she turned up with it asking for his signature x

hi geeks

all i can say is wow! I'm bowled over by your positive messages and all the helpful links and advice you've posted. Really means a lot to me.

I thank you all.

I didn't get to shellac her yesterday after all as she goes in for a mastectomy on Wednesday :( however we've talked in the future how we can make her nails look fab obviously minus the massage. She will have chemo soon too so will lose her hair so I'm busy looking for wig companies for her. Saw a thread on here a while back so going to dig that up.

Thanks so so much again guys. Knew not only would you help with the nail side of things but the emotional too. Reading your stories have truly touched my heart too.

Love n hugs all x x x

ps hun pls do email me that i can pass this info onto my sister too. My address is [email protected]
thank you for doing that for me hun x x x

Will do tonight xxx

thank you hun x

Done! Let me know if you got it x

Hi honey

Just checked my email and its there. Thanks so much. I've got some interesting reading for this evening.

Really appreciate it. Thanks hun xxx

Once again all the best and good luck xxx

Latest posts

Back