Application of Gelish structure gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nail angel 67

Reaction score
I am now getting quite frustrated with my sister's and my mum's nails. Now my sister has admitted being very heavy handed as she has a bit of OCD with her housework (LOL!) and is also a nanny so looks after small children quite a lot. My mum, on the other hand, is retired and doesn't do that much but then again she refuses to wear gloves when washing and says it should be OK as she uses one of those scourers with the handle and therefore supposedly doesn't scrub dishes anywhere near her nails.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I started putting structure gel on every nail each time I re-did their nails. They are now still having problems with chipping, usually the same fingers, index fingers or thumbs and this time around they have both had chips within a few days (even earlier than usual) and it's really depressing me.

I need to check application of structure gel, so far I'm only brushing it on like I do the colour layers but maybe a slight bit thicker. Is this correct or should it be applied more like the original type of gels - really don't know how to explain that sort of application but sort of how I used to apply the gel to make sculptures for Bio Sculpture.

Really hoping someone can help on this - another idea I had was to just add 2 layers of sculpture gel. Do you think this would help?

Thanks geeks!

I know it seems like I'm stating the obvious but are you capping the free edge thoroughly with every coat? Foundation, colour and top it off? I wasn't thorough enough with this at the corners of the free edge, and I was getting chipping, on the thumb an index finger like you said.

I did my boyfriends mums nearly 3 weeks ago, and made sure i took extra care when capping. She never wears gloves, doesn't apply oil or hand cream despite my advice. I saw her last week in the garden with soil all over her nails! She wasn't wearing gloves when gardening!! So I was convinced they wouldn't last. Today, nearly 3 weeks on, she has no chips, no lifting or anything :) just re-growth.

If they keep having problems maybe they need something stronger on their nails xxx

Hi Stacey88

I couldn't be more thorough with my capping the free edges and side walls on every single layer so it can't be that. I only wish I could get them to last like your mum-in-laws. Mind you, mine last for ages too and I'm heavy on my hands - I also run with my partner a soft play and bouncy castle business and that definitely makes me heavy handed!

Maybe you're right - they might need something stronger (they won't be able to look at me cos I'm sticking to gelish and gelish only)!

Could anyone please answer the questions re the application of the structure gel, if I'm doing it right and if 2 coats may make a difference?

Thanks

Gelish isn't for everyone. My mum & one other client out of all my clients are the only ones who can't keep it on, on index fingers only! I tried structure gel too & although it added strength on the other nails I still had trouble with the 'problem' nails. The only thing these two clients have in common is peeling nails & naturally weak, maybe this has something to do with it.
They are much better with Acrylic :)

I tried 2 coats of structure gel & it didn't make much difference to my problem clients. One is a hair dresser & the other a clean freak who won't wear gloves!!

Hi Stacey88

I couldn't be more thorough with my capping the free edges and side walls on every single layer so it can't be that. I only wish I could get them to last like your mum-in-laws. Mind you, mine last for ages too and I'm heavy on my hands - I also run with my partner a soft play and bouncy castle business and that definitely makes me heavy handed!

Maybe you're right - they might need something stronger (they won't be able to look at me cos I'm sticking to gelish and gelish only)!

Could anyone please answer the questions re the application of the structure gel, if I'm doing it right and if 2 coats may make a difference?

Thanks

Don't drag your brush over the nail with structure gel, make it almost float over the nail, making sure your application isn't too thick & the obvious capping the free edge is so important!

Have you done the harmony gelish training? If not i recommend you do. They teach you on the course how to apply structure gel and when you'd need it. Its not as simple as just brushing it on. You would also get the help of a tutor to go back to if youre having problems like you are now
X

Thanks everyone I have done the training yes and do now remember my trainer putting the structure gel on a little different. I'll give her a call and see if I can go and see her about it.
Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using SalonGeek

Using structure gel is more like using Bio etc, you really need to be shown/taught how to use it.

When using Gelish polish it is like it it, you apply like a polish but structure is more do a floating application, you can apply different ways, one is, apply a lick layer then get a bead of gel on the end of your brush and float this down the centre of the nail, do this for the sides of the nail, working quickly, if the clients nails don't have a good apex turn the hand over for a second and the gel will automatically build one then cure, you will pron have ro refine before finishing, Like I said its just one way of doing it but it's not just like popping on a polish.

Just a thought.... After a through prep are you really scrubbing in the very thin foundation layer ? HTH X

Oh and another thing, if they're abusing their nails then they won't last as long as they should and that ones not your fault ! X

Using structure gel is more like using Bio etc, you really need to be shown/taught how to use it.

When using Gelish polish it is like it it, you apply like a polish but structure is more do a floating application, you can apply different ways, one is, apply a lick layer then get a bead of gel on the end of your brush and float this down the centre of the nail, do this for the sides of the nail, working quickly, if the clients nails don't have a good apex turn the hand over for a second and the gel will automatically build one then cure, you will pron have ro refine before finishing, Like I said its just one way of doing it but it's not just like popping on a polish.

Just a thought.... After a through prep are you really scrubbing in the very thin foundation layer ? HTH X

Oh and another thing, if they're abusing their nails then they won't last as long as they should and that ones not your fault ! X

Thanks for that - still a bit confused though so I must get back to my trainer and ask her to show me it again. If it hasn't gone on that smoothly though would you need to file it into a proper shape? :confused:

Thanks for that - still a bit confused though so I must get back to my trainer and ask her to show me it again. If it hasn't gone on that smoothly though would you need to file it into a proper shape? :confused:

If the structure gel isn't the perfect shape, then you can wipe off with cleanse and buff lightly to shape, then carry on with colour

Great - thanks for that. Will give it a try x

Latest posts

Back