Are clients better behaved at a home salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojosnails

Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently mobile part time, alongside my day job in an office. I am planning to convert a spare room in to a nail studio at the end of this year as I really want to do nails full time, but I'm not sure mobile full time is for me.

I find that because I'm in someone else's home that they feel they can do what they wish without thinking, for example having to sit and wait for half an hour while they finish there dinner or smoking in the house.

Geeks that have home salons, do you find that clients respect you more when they are in your home?

I don't think they do always, you will always get the odd client that will push the boundaries. Although in a salon there is a different attitude from the clients.
I do feel that mobile, you have the fact your in thier turf, so therefore it's on thier terms. Ie the phone rings, door knocks etc
Iv done all 3 and the one that suits me is from home x

Disrespectful clients will likely be disrespectful wherever they are. I work mobile and have not had many problems with clients misbehaving, the odd bad day with kids being there but nothing rude or just thoughtless.

You may find they are better in a home salon because its not their home but some clients will always be thoughtless of your time and space. Develop your moody unimpressed stare now and it will help :lol: xxx

All the clients I have had come to my home have been so nice, respected everything.
Even if they have brought young kids and they tell them off for touching stuff they shouldn't touch, I also give them the option to put on the tv for them to watch there favourite show.

Some have even insisted taking there shoes off at the door and there friend or other half going outside to smoke.

I find that because I'm in someone else's home that they feel they can do what they wish without thinking, for example having to sit and wait for half an hour while they finish there dinner or smoking in the house.

I thought you weren't allowed to smoke for an hour before a trades person arrived at your house, as it is classed as their work environment.

As for having to wait for them to eat their dinner, that's just plain rude to not be ready for you. It's down to their personality, attitude and morals. Some people are harder to work with than others and it's down to us to instigate the boundaries with these sorts of people.

I felt uncomfortable telling my friend about no children at my home nail room, but I swallowed it and said it nicely and it was fine. Someone who isn't my friend doesn't earn that emotion from me, so isn't an issue.

I suppose I am saying it might be easier for you to lay down the boundaries at your home. But do it from the start, or it will be harder to change.

What I found when i was working from home was that clients offen arrived late cos they thought ' well shes at home so she wont mind me turning up late'.

I also had brides popping over without calling first on Sundays, evenings & bank holidays to discus the next thrilling chapter of their wedding and out staying their welcome.

One bride 'popped over' on a sunday evening unannounced even though i made it clear at her trial appointments that apts my home salon were by APOINTMENT ONLY.

She had just seen the shade of red lipstick she wanted in town and could I mix up the exact colour up for here now? She had also just seen the film war bride and want to had i seen it as she wanted the same look as Rachal Wiez in the film and would I go the film store and rent/buy said film to see the makeup, could i go through her NEW colour scheme too.....

Before I could say anything she burst through my door and placed her self into the chair and I couldnt get rid of her for 3 HOURS!!!

I should of been picking my hubby up from the stn as it was raining and he had just arrived back from 3 months sailing and had loads of kit, no matter how I pretested she would go in the end the door bell rang to a rather wet hubby demanding to know where the F@@@@ i had been and was that F++++ing woman still in the house!!

The bride at this point got the hint and left, just as she was walking out my hubby said to her i hope youve paid my wife for her time!

she was VERY apolgetic the next day

I also found that it put my other half on edge when he return home from work to have stangers in the house and he felt we were at a higher risk of being burgled etc

so i stopped working at home and went mobile!

Last edited:
Hi,

I am currently mobile part time, alongside my day job in an office. I am planning to convert a spare room in to a nail studio at the end of this year as I really want to do nails full time, but I'm not sure mobile full time is for me.

Geeks that have home salons, do you find that clients respect you more when they are in your home?

I've only worked mobile and have had my fair share of rude clients that keep you waiting. It drives me insane. Examples are:

As stated above, finishing dinner

On a phone call in another room so you have to wait

Finishing housework while you're waiting to start

Smoking

Sorting out the kids (which takes ages) or NOT sorting out the kids so they're constantly seeking attention and getting the the way and delaying the treatment.

I feel for you. But I prefer to go to their home rather than have them invade my own personal space.

What I found when i was working from home was that clients offen arrived late cos they thought ' well shes at home so she wont mind me turning up late'.

I also had brides popping over without calling first on Sundays, evenings & bank holidays to discus the next thrilling chapter of their wedding and out staying their welcome.

One bride 'popped over' on a sunday evening unannounced even though i made it clear at her trial appointments that apts my home salon were by APOINTMENT ONLY.

She had just seen the shade of red lipstick she wanted in town and could I mix up the exact colour up for here now? She had also just seen the film war bride and want to had i seen it as she wanted the same look as Rachal Wiez in the film and would I go the film store and rent/buy said film to see the makeup, could i go through her NEW colour scheme too.....

Before I could say anything she burst through my door and placed her self into the chair and I couldnt get rid of her for 3 HOURS!!!

I should of been picking my hubby up from the stn as it was raining and he had just arrived back from 3 months sailing and had loads of kit, no matter how I pretested she would go in the end the door bell rang to a rather wet hubby demanding to know where the F@@@@ i had been and was that F++++ing woman still in the house!!

The bride at this point got the hint and left, just as she was walking out my hubby said to her i hope youve paid my wife for her time!

she was VERY apolgetic the next day

I also found that it put my other half on edge when he return home from work to have stangers in the house and he felt we were at a higher risk of being burgled etc

so i stopped working at home and went mobile!

This is an issue with my clients, drives me nuts, some just feel they can turn up half an hour late and its not a problem, the problem is, I need to toughen up!!!

You have to be tough and firm with clients regarding their appointment times otherwise they often can take advantage when we work from home. I have all mine well trained and it works well!!.. I text all clients booked in each day and the text asks them to text to confirm that they will be there, it reminds them to arrive on time as there are clients both before and after and unless there is major transport disruptions it works well.. If I have a new client who turns up more than 15 mins late I wont see them even if I have a free slot afterwards and make them reschedule another appointment as I think if you allow new clients to be relaxed with timekeeping they get off to a bad start and could be late again....If they really want to see you they make the effort to get there on time.

Jack

Disrespectful clients will likely be disrespectful wherever they are. I work mobile and have not had many problems with clients misbehaving, the odd bad day with kids being there but nothing rude or just thoughtless.

You may find they are better in a home salon because its not their home but some clients will always be thoughtless of your time and space. Develop your moody unimpressed stare now and it will help :lol: xxx

Hehe :) I will get working on my unimpressed stare :)

I thought you weren't allowed to smoke for an hour before a trades person arrived at your house, as it is classed as their work environment.

As for having to wait for them to eat their dinner, that's just plain rude to not be ready for you. It's down to their personality, attitude and morals. Some people are harder to work with than others and it's down to us to instigate the boundaries with these sorts of people.

I felt uncomfortable telling my friend about no children at my home nail room, but I swallowed it and said it nicely and it was fine. Someone who isn't my friend doesn't earn that emotion from me, so isn't an issue.

I suppose I am saying it might be easier for you to lay down the boundaries at your home. But do it from the start, or it will be harder to change.

Thanks for the advice, hadn't thought about the smoking in that way, you're probably right!

You have to be tough and firm with clients regarding their appointment times otherwise they often can take advantage when we work from home. I have all mine well trained and it works well!!.. I text all clients booked in each day and the text asks them to text to confirm that they will be there, it reminds them to arrive on time as there are clients both before and after and unless there is major transport disruptions it works well.. If I have a new client who turns up more than 15 mins late I wont see them even if I have a free slot afterwards and make them reschedule another appointment as I think if you allow new clients to be relaxed with timekeeping they get off to a bad start and could be late again....If they really want to see you they make the effort to get there on time.

Jack

Thank you, I think I need to toughen up and be a bit firmer with clients. We give them an inch and they run a mile!

Sadly this is not the case as it is their home and not their workplace it is not covered by the Smoke Free Regulations 2007 :sad:

So far I've only had 1 nightmare client who turned up, 2 kids in tow, little boy who wanted all my sons toys ( luckily he couldn't work out the stair gate to get to them ) & her little girl who she been potty training a week & had no nappy, no potty & left a puddle on my nail room floor!!!
I wasn't impressed!!
Nearly all but this one have been great & respectful that it's my home

I have a home salon and my clients are very nice and respectful. I do get people in with kids but there has only been one nightmare child! My clients are very rarely late. If they were I wouldn't do the treatment unless I had loads of time which isn't often. It's one in one out all day at my house. I text everyone just after 8 every morning to confirm. I hardly ever get a no show. I haven't had anyone randomly come to my door apart from husbands buying vouchers really.

i am pregnant and work mobile, i went to a house the other day to do prom make up and i was gassed out by the mother and the father smoking fag after fag i couldn`t wait to get out. I used to smoke but since being pregnant i gave up this was 8 and a half months ago. Where is the respect now a days. I do have regular clients that also smoke and as it is their home i feel rude saying can you please smoke outside. I think no matter where you work you always get clients that have no respect.

Hi there, I've done all three as well. Salon, loved it, worked with some lovely people, loved the hustle and bustle of being in the town centre.
Mobile, hated it, hated the time I lost driving to and from clients homes, I remember one woman who sparked up just as I was pouring the monomer out, I just froze and said, you do realise this stuff is more flammable than petrol don't you:D I remember the child who kept trying to get stuff our of my work box. I wanted to slap his mother silly for not teaching him to leave other peoples stuff alone.
The two working girls were em, educational:o I hated having to empty my car every night because my insurance company said if the car was stolen from out side my home my stock would not be covered!
My little home salon, my slice of heaven. I love it, I stock what I want to, no clients? It's ok I have tons to be getting on with.
But, you do have to be strict. My phone goes on silent at 7pm, I don't answer it unless I know the person calling me, if it's a client, well tough my work hours are quiet clear. I have to lock the front door at 7pm and keep it locked until I'm letting my first client in.
Final one, no matter how friendly, how lovely, they are not my friends, they are my clients. I don't have a door bell for a reason, if they are family, they have their own key. If they are friends, they can text me when they are outside. Anyone else? No, they are not coming in, I'm not answering the phone.
hth x

Well I have a home salon and so far so good. I do have one client who is half an hour early for her appointment without fail each week but that's fine as I always make sure she is now booked in as my first appointment of the day that day, so arriving early doesn't affect anyone else's appointment and also then she leaves earlier than planned so gives me time in between to do whatever necessary.

But all my clients have been very lovely so far, all very respectful and all very complimentary of my little space :) Most have come through my website so have read my rules and none have come with their children in tow. In fact one client booked an appointment then called back as she had re-read my website and noticed she'd need to come at a time her child was being cared for by someone else and re-arranged her time.

So, so far, so good :) And like Susie has said above, the benefit of being at home is there is always something to do whether you have clients in or not and there's no travelling time. It's perfect for me :)

I also have a home salon, and do a small amount of mobile work...the ladies who I go to mobile have been clients for a while and are lovely and respectful.

Again the same goes for those that come to my house. The only problem I have with the occasional client at home is that they want to sit and talk after their appointment is over! I usually start clearing up (in a friendly way!) to hint that their slot is done!! Most of my home clients love the fact that they get to get out of their own house and relax for a while - many also say that they prefer the home salon to going to a normal salon as it is more private and they get proper 1 on 1 treatment.

I've worked mobile and I much prefer being salon based.

When mobile, I turned up one evening at a clients house and she was having "a girls night in" - actually this meant she was having a party!! she kept stopping me every 2 minutes to light a cigarette, and kept wandering off to refill her wine glass. By the time I finished her nails she was absolutely sloshed, and with all the interruptions it was nearly midnight!!! I was packing away and she offered to help me out to the car with my stuff but I told her I was fine doing it alone. She insisted on "helping" and, with newly painted nails, she put her shoes on which were still laced up, meaning she had to pull them on over her heel, trashing the paint job I had just done in the process but because she was so p**sed she didnt notice what she was doing. Apparently she was slagging my work off the next day to her neighbour (who had recommended me to her) because the paint job was crap!!!! Never again!

Regarding smoking, I developed an excuse. If any client lit up while I was there I explained that the monomer and fumes were highly flammable and that I couldnt continue the service if they smoked.

Dont get me wrong, you will also get rude and inconsiderate clients in your home or salon, but you are in a stronger position to tell them off on your own turf.

Latest posts

Back