Are sunbeds now REALLY safe?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Rose

Reaction score
I posted an update on my salon wall today about the only safe tan is a fake tan.

Bit later on I got a comment from someone asking if I watched News at Ten the other night. I didn't but apparently "Sunshine and sunbeds used regularly cut the risk of breast cancer by a massive 50% and all other cancers by 30% New 15 year study by Oxford and harvard uni's conclude there is no substantiated link to cancer from UV. It was all a load of propaganda by the sun lotion makers".

Having being burnt on more than one occasion (!!) I know the damage the sun can cause. You only need look at Brigit Bardot to see how the sun ages you.

What are your thoughts?

Hate sunbeds. They never have been safe and never will be. Personally I hate the speckly weird tan then give and the health risks, damage to the skin and ageing are awful. I would never have one in the salon regardless of the money making potential.

I can't believe how people persist in using them regardless of all these risks - they obviously have very little concern for their skin, health or well being.

There is no excuse when we have gorgeous spray tans and numerous home tanning products.

I'm totally anti-sunbeds, some of my customers go other places to use them and when they tell me I gently tell them from a professional perspective how damaging they are, I don't be lecturing them because that doesn't work I just speak of the facts and use a little crack and humour about how anti-sunbed I am.

I have completely refused to allow my best friend to go anywhere near them - she has gorgeous red hair and fair freckly skin - some of her family do - but she knows I'm not bossy but wont budge on this one.

Theres been alot of debate recently wether the whole sunbeds cause cancer thing is true.
Ive known 2 people get skin cancer who never go on sunbeds and never in the sun either and are as pale as white paper, but there will always be some 'information' that comes out which shows one thing or another.

The main thing that we know without a shadow of a doubt is that UV radiation in whichever form causes aging of the skin!
UV is the biggest form of extrinstic aging, so if customers want to keep their clear unwrinkled, unpigmented even toned skin they will steer clear!!

I use the tanning bed to manage my SAD as during the winter, we have days where we only get 5-6 hours of sunlight and you will get frostbite from staying out in the cold for more than 60 seconds.

I never actually get tanned but I have had great success with managing my SAD. And yes I know I'm tanned in my profile picture but it's fake :) lol

I heard on I think Loraine(?) Kelly show a few weeks back that going on a sunbed 1 a month increases your risk of getting skin cancer by 50 %.

Scary stats really. It's tanning solution for me I'm afraid :)

Louise xx

This is interesting as I got a leaflet the other day from one of our many local tanning salons promoting the BENEFITS of using a sunbed regularly which left me quite shocked.

It read like sunbeds were the "cure all" for lots of ailments and that we should all be having regular sessions!

I wondered if it was even legal as we have been educated for years about the potential damage sunbeds can cause.

There seems to be conflicting information on the benefits/dangers of just about everything at the moment but I, for one, will be avoiding the sunbeds

Morning

I will probably be shot for what I'm about to say but feel as a sunbed owner I would like to voice my views and this is a forum after all!

When we took over our salon there was a sunbed in place, we put it in storage and forgot about it. I really wasn't to fussed whether we had one or not to be honest. I have used sunbeds in the past when there was very little regulation and information about damage. However, I feel people can makes choices if they have the required knowledge and those who do not have the knowledge are educated correctly by sunbed owners. We monitor clients sunbed timings and regularity. If someone thinks they can abuse our system they can't. Consultation cards must be completed prior to any use of our sunbed.

We have people from all walks of life, clients use it for SAD, skin disorders, depression and some doctors even recommend that sunbeds can be good, if used in moderation. And that is the key to be honest. We do not, under any circumstances let under 18's use them, as is the law, or use them on a daily basis.

I used to work for an out of hours gp co-operative and the amount of calls we used to take from patients who, as soon as they saw the sun, stripped off, no protection then phoned because they were severely burnt. This is also a major trigger for cancer.

Yes UV light is bad for you as is to much sun if you over expose yourself to it. Don't forget UV light is around us all the time, in shops, factories and in homes even if at a lower level.

We do not recommend looking like a burnt, dried up chip but people being people, sometimes like to be very dark as I have often read even with self-tanning. This is not a look we aspire to here. We advise clients to go for a healthy look and if they don't agree, they can go elsewhere to be honest and we don't allow everyone who comes through our doors to use it, they are assessed.

There also has never been any hard evidence or research carried out to suggest the percentage of skin cancer is caused by sunbeds. It just comes to the press when someone catches cancer and they announce they used sunbeds. As in the case of the lady who used them regularly and unsupervised. You also have to ask yourself as she was a tan lover, did she also sit for hours on end in the sun?

I also think that a lot is based upon your own DNA and if sun/uv is the trigger then you will probably only find out when it's to late.

I go back to choices, people smoke (their choice) people drink heavily (their choice) people take drugs (their choice).

I know people will say sunbeds are bad bad bad but I do think they can be of benefit if used properly and not just for tanning. Plus get rid of the cowboys who do not regulate properly.

The Sunbed Association A little more information should anyone feel they would like to read the facts.

I really hope I have come across as someone with a viewpoint rather than saying sunbeds are always good for you.

Oh dear, will I regret this :cry:

Morning

I will probably be shot for what I'm about to say but feel as a sunbed owner I would like to voice my views and this is a forum after all!

When we took over our salon there was a sunbed in place, we put it in storage and forgot about it. I really wasn't to fussed whether we had one or not to be honest. I have used sunbeds in the past when there was very little regulation and information about damage. However, I feel people can makes choices if they have the required knowledge and those who do not have the knowledge are educated correctly by sunbed owners. We monitor clients sunbed timings and regularity. If someone thinks they can abuse our system they can't. Consultation cards must be completed prior to any use of our sunbed.

We have people from all walks of life, clients use it for SAD, skin disorders, depression and some doctors even recommend that sunbeds can be good, if used in moderation. And that is the key to be honest. We do not, under any circumstances let under 18's use them, as is the law, or use them on a daily basis.

I used to work for an out of hours gp co-operative and the amount of calls we used to take from patients who, as soon as they saw the sun, stripped off, no protection then phoned because they were severely burnt. This is also a major trigger for cancer.

Yes UV light is bad for you as is to much sun if you over expose yourself to it. Don't forget UV light is around us all the time, in shops, factories and in homes even if at a lower level.

We do not recommend looking like a burnt, dried up chip but people being people, sometimes like to be very dark as I have often read even with self-tanning. This is not a look we aspire to here. We advise clients to go for a healthy look and if they don't agree, they can go elsewhere to be honest and we don't allow everyone who comes through our doors to use it, they are assessed.

There also has never been any hard evidence or research carried out to suggest the percentage of skin cancer is caused by sunbeds. It just comes to the press when someone catches cancer and they announce they used sunbeds. As in the case of the lady who used them regularly and unsupervised. You also have to ask yourself as she was a tan lover, did she also sit for hours on end in the sun?

I also think that a lot is based upon your own DNA and if sun/uv is the trigger then you will probably only find out when it's to late.

I go back to choices, people smoke (their choice) people drink heavily (their choice) people take drugs (their choice).

I know people will say sunbeds are bad bad bad but I do think they can be of benefit if used properly and not just for tanning. Plus get rid of the cowboys who do not regulate properly.

The Sunbed Association A little more information should anyone feel they would like to read the facts.

I really hope I have come across as someone with a viewpoint rather than saying sunbeds are always good for you.

Don't regret anything you've said, it's your opinion and everyone should respect that :D

I think it's great that your salon monitors and has strict guidelines.
I think it's the cowboys salons that let the side down.

Like you say it's choice, I know a family member who goes 3 x a week and goes to 3 different salons because they like to be " a burnt chip" or shall I say bit orange ha ha.

Taggyboy,
I think your point has been put across very well and you should not apologise for voicing your opinion.

That is, of course, what this forum is all about.

I won't be using sunbeds again but, for those who do, I hope they are using a salon like yours who will limit and monitor exposure in such a responsible way.

I know of a few places in our area who are unmanned and people just plonk coins in to have as long as they want.

xx

oh taggyboy you are brave :D

I will be another who has used sunbeds and would again if the need arises. I used to suffer very badly indeed from psoriasis on the scalp and eczema on my hands and found sunbeds were a really good help.

I was first advised to use them by a dermatologist friend, just a few sessions to see if it made a difference. It did and I used to have one session a week for 4 weeks then one a month for 3 month and found that the difference was noticeable.

I can't say I would use them to get a tan, in all honesty I'm not that bothered about being brown and I'm pretty lucky to have a healthy looking skin most of the time, but I think if they are managed and monitored correctly they have a place.

Morning

Also being a Sunbed owner, I agree with all that you have written totally TB.

I monitor all clients usage, and I have had the 18 years old and over rule in place from before it became law. I also joined the Sunbed association. Everything in moderation.

Don't regret anything you've said, it's your opinion and everyone should respect that :D

I think it's great that your salon monitors and has strict guidelines.
I think it's the cowboys salons that let the side down.

Like you say it's choice, I know a family member who goes 3 x a week and goes to 3 different salons because they like to be " a burnt chip" or shall I say bit orange ha ha.

Taggyboy,
I think your point has been put across very well and you should not apologise for voicing your opinion.

That is, of course, what this forum is all about.

I won't be using sunbeds again but, for those who do, I hope they are using a salon like yours who will limit and monitor exposure in such a responsible way.

I know of a few places in our area who are unmanned and people just plonk coins in to have as long as they want.

xx

Thank you girlies, you know I wrote, deleted and re-wrote it again and when I was about to hit the submit button I thought "uh oh". So thank you for your feedback.

I have to agree it is those that just get given tokens and away they go. I don't understand it. The trouble is and god forbid, if they get cancer, the client is never to blame only the business when the client themselves really cannot be that ignorant. I've had it in our salon, well I'm such and such an age, I've got to die sometime! Well not in my salon you wont, what an attitude.

oh taggyboy you are brave :D

I will be another who has used sunbeds and would again if the need arises. I used to suffer very badly indeed from psoriasis on the scalp and eczema on my hands and found sunbeds were a really good help.

I was first advised to use them by a dermatologist friend, just a few sessions to see if it made a difference. It did and I used to have one session a week for 4 weeks then one a month for 3 month and found that the difference was noticeable.

I can't say I would use them to get a tan, in all honesty I'm not that bothered about being brown and I'm pretty lucky to have a healthy looking skin most of the time, but I think if they are managed and monitored correctly they have a place.

Also being a Sunbed owner, I agree with all that you have written totally TB.

I monitor all clients usage, and I have had the 18 years old and over rule in place from before it became law. I also joined the Sunbed association. Everything in moderation.

Tracy, lol Brave, I was actually really nervous about posting but I suspect there are sunbed users on SG and sunbed owners, so thought I would speak out :)

Mrs RSM, thank you

To be honest I hardly use mine, I would if going on holiday just to get a base tan but not really that bothered anymore. If I wasn't such a porker I'd probably go for a spray tan but really don't want to get my flabby bits out

taggyboy i totally agree with u i took a tanning salon company over in 2006 an added beauty an slowly got rid of 3 sunbed an now just down to 2 as a skin therapist i kno uv is an can b damaging but again since 2006 i did not let under 18s on ive been spat at, sworn at an had alsorts of abuse from the youngsters cos again i have dodgy salon around near me that dnt monitor snatch the money off them an let them go on 4 as long as possible. i also monitor my clientele an ask new clients questions bout there skin b4 letting them on. an i get sick an angry when the press go on an on an on bout sunbed use when how do they kno thoses ppl who have got skin cancer used a sunbed on a sunny day then afterwards sun bathe. I also got told the salon i now own use to b a link of sunbed salons an sum clients wud have 1 bed in 1 branch then go to the next an the next to try it on. so don't always blame the safe salons or blame salon cos sum ppl can b foolish. Same as they all sun bathe wen we get fab weather an wat do u kno they dnt put factor on!! so there shud have responisbility themselves. an i only ever used my sunbeds as there low wattage an i used to use them b4 i owned the salon an they were pretty stricted an me the newish own is the same.

A tan is damage. The only healthy tan is a fake tan. People who use tanning beds constantly are asking for problems. And I have seen what it does to people's face's. Gross.

That said, I will have a tan when I come back from Arizona. And I will feel guilty. But it will look good.

Sigh.

A tan is damage. The only healthy tan is a fake tan. People who use tanning beds constantly are asking for problems. And I have seen what it does to people's face's. Gross.

That said, I will have a tan when I come back from Arizona. And I will feel guilty. But it will look good.

Sigh.

Haha..I'm exactly the same, cannot stand sunbeds, so so bad for you...my mum used to Be a frequent user and had bad sun damage on her skin as well as a small mark on her shoulder that she has gotta be so careful with now. Facials etc are helping with skin and to Be honest, you would look at my mum and think she is ten years younger, but if.she carried on using them, think it would be a very different story as many of my clients refuse to believe they are damaging as you can tell by looking at them in just a glimpse that they are sunbed users!

Yet when I go on holiday, I can't wait to Be tanned, its awful, but I do make sure I wear a high factor suncream, even if your using a factor 30, you still catch the sun, people find that hard to believe..I refuse to burn and I probably get on peoples nerves pushing them to wear a high factor spf when in the sun :)

Kayleigh x

Essential Bliss Beauty Therapy

Hate sunbeds with a passion. My cousin died at the age of 41, leaving 2 children, she had skin cancer and she was a sunbed user in the 80's. My mum has also had moles removed because in the past she also used sunbeds and in truth was a bit of a sun worshiper.

I don't understand why people want to take the risk of using them when there are perfectly safe alternatives to be had.

:irked:

This is interesting as I got a leaflet the other day from one of our many local tanning salons promoting the BENEFITS of using a sunbed regularly which left me quite shocked.

It read like sunbeds were the "cure all" for lots of ailments and that we should all be having regular sessions!

I wondered if it was even legal as we have been educated for years about the potential damage sunbeds can cause.

There seems to be conflicting information on the benefits/dangers of just about everything at the moment but I, for one, will be avoiding the sunbeds

I've seen these leaflets too - I was pretty shocked by it, as it just read like total propaganda. I'm an ex-sunbed user, I used to go on them a lot when I was younger and I really regret it now...it's made me a bit anti-sunbed, but as people said it's all about choices and making your own decisions. At the end of it, no-one is forced onto a sunbed and there are plenty of other alternatives.

I also had treatment for psoriasis when I was younger on sunbeds at the hospital - from what I remember, the lights in those are different to those in a normal sunbed.

i used sunbeds reguarly when i was younger as i always felt more confident when tanned, until in 2003 i had to have a full vulvectomy and reconstruction- caused by using a sunbed wearing no underwear, as i didnt want white bits! Cancer of the vulva was so rare in ladies under the age of 65, its now on the increase as so many people go on sunbeds naked! its a form of skin cancer and im now awaiting my 12th op in 8yrs.
I WOULD NEVER USE A SUNBED AGAIN, and wish i had never been a user!

My sister was advised by a doctor to use the sunbeds once a week to help her eczma(sp?) and she said it really helped,i did used to use sunbeds reguarly however since having my son i dont take any risks,dont smoke,drink and certainly dont take drugs however i still beleive everything in moderation xx

Sent from my X10i

Latest posts

Back