Are we all being conned?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sassy Hassy

Reaction score
There have a been a few posts recently about not being duped by Supply Companies as all some want to do is get as much money from us as possible, and that there is not a lot of difference between one product to another. Well now I want to give the other side of the coin and have my say.

To me price is not the only factor when deciding on which Company I choose to get my products from.
  • Customer Service - am I made to feel important to them? Do they have a good technical enquiry line? Do I feel a nuisance when I call for the 9 zillionth time with the same problem that I just can't get sorted?
  • Turnaround of order - hell, I've just gone into my drawer only to find that new pot of gel I thought I had isn't there. Can my supplier get me next day delivery?
  • Continuos development - are they working to improve the products they have, or will I still be stuck with the same outdated producted in 5 years time, when my competitors have the new all singing all dancing latest products that leave mine in the shade - natural and artificial nail systems.
  • Trust and loyalty - do I trust what they tell me or are they feeding me B/S that makes me look and feel a prat. Do they deserve MY loyalty.
  • Easy supply - I'd rather get my stuff from one or two places as it saves me time and postage costs. Time to me is my most expensive outlay.
  • Education - can they help me improve as far in my career as I want to go?
  • Products - does it do what it says on the tin? Do I have faith in it? Do I think there are better products out there than what I have?
Sometimes going for the cheaper option may not be as cheap as it seems. If I buy a pot of gel for £25 and I can get about 25 infills out of it then it costs me about £1 a client. If I get cheap stuff that cost say £15, then the cost to me per client is 60p. Now you could look at it and say it's 40% cheaper to me, or you can say I'd rather work with what I believe (yes that's my choice, not me being duped) to be the best, give my clients the best and push comes to shove I'll pass that 40p onto my clients.

If you want to go for the cheap option then hell that's your choice, but do us a favour and stop telling us that we're all being duped and ripped off. Like you, we did our homework and made our own minds up. I don't sit here and judge you and tell you that I think you are cheapskating your clients so please stop telling me that I am being duped and I need to join your club.

Sorry I needed to get that off my chest and I feel a hell of a lot better.

I completely agree with you. I have recently tranined and the company I choose actually turned out to be the most expensive. Although I dont agree with eveything they preach I am pleased I made that choice. It is almost like buying a franchise because I get alot of work off their name. And like you say service - the delivery is excellant and they are always there to give advise, (but mainly I ask you geeks!)
x

freedom of choice is what it is all about Sassy. As long as we are all happy with our supplier then that is all that matters isnt it?

I know what has brought this post on and I can see both sides of the coin.

Glad you feel better though lol

HUn that's what I said, it's all about making our own choices, and boy are we so lucky in our industry that we have so much to choose from!

I don't have the arrogance to tell people what they should use, I'll give my opinions on why I chose my brand if asked and let people make their own minds up. I'm not saying that just because something may be more expensive makes it the best, or that it's cheap that it's bad. What I am saying is have a bit of respect for why people chose their brands in the first place. I won't be duped by anyone, and if I find I am then I vote with my feet as they don;t deserve my loyalty. Hell you can buy EXACTLY the same stuff from Asda and Waitrose, but they're not always priced the same ... but you'd rarely catch me in Asda which is cheaper, and that's MY choice!

Fab thread Sass :D
I researched before I made my financial outlay (with the help of this site) and I'm extremely happy with the product line I chose and wouldn't change.
why? well, for pretty much the same reasons you listed in your post.
I have total trust in my products, they do what they say they'll do, they perform fantastically well and give me the results I need/want.

We've all been duped at some point or another, more often than not it's by the companies who sell the low end products, telling us what fab results we'll get using their products... not so, if that were the case then everyone would be using them and they're not.

When you work it all out to the penny/cent do you really get huge profits by using cheap stuff?
I've used cheap products, and the answer has to be a resounding NO.
Isn't it better to use quality products, get the results you and your clients want, pass the few pence per service extra on to your clients, everyone's happy.

Obviously you need the right education too, having great skills means that you're more than halfway there, having great products gives you the 'whole package'.

Sarah - you're so right in what you say. I spend 6 years in a consultancy company training organisations on customer service and brand loyalty and so much is not about the product - it's the total package that people buy into.

We should always remember though, as some companies are more efficient than others, the most expensive isn't always the best, and the cheapest isn't always the worst.

To me, giving excellent (not just good) service is all about being available, putting yourself out, being totally honest, delivering on time, and doing what you say you'll do. Having an excellent product is a bonus - but there again, I wouldn't want to be associated with rubbish!!

Sassy Hassy said:
HUn that's what I said, it's all about making our own choices, and boy are we so lucky in our industry that we have so much to choose from!

I don't have the arrogance to tell people what they should use, I'll give my opinions on why I chose my brand if asked and let people make their own minds up. I'm not saying that just because something may be more expensive makes it the best, or that it's cheap that it's bad. What I am saying is have a bit of respect for why people chose their brands in the first place. I won't be duped by anyone, and if I find I am then I vote with my feet as they don;t deserve my loyalty. Hell you can buy EXACTLY the same stuff from Asda and Waitrose, but they're not always priced the same ... but you'd rarely catch me in Asda which is cheaper, and that's MY choice!

Fair Play Sass,

I totally agree with you here.

As I am opening my own salon, I have become aware of all the things you listed in your first post, and sometimes, you dont realise these things untill they smack you in the face! I didnt realise that things cost so much, take so much time and effort, and you need a really good supplier to move forward yourself!

Support and dedication is key from your suppliers, its great to know you have that and feel supported when you need it!

Good on ya girly x

Nigel, I'm glad you've just posted! Now Mundo products are a classic example. They do what they say they do on the tin, the service is excellent, but the prices are about half what I was paying for my sanitation products before. So they have ticked every box I need it to, and more so, than what I was already using as I had no customer service from my last lot! So Nigel gets my business and I recommend him to anyone who will ask! Yup they are VALUE for money, not just cheaper! But if someone wanted to carry on with the other, more expensive company I wouldn't tell them they were a mug for doing so, I'd respect them and let them make their own choice based on the facts.

Hi

I completely agree. I have faith in my supplier and I wouldn't change to another company, if another geek asks a question on here and I don't use that system, then I won't answer the post.

The best thing about this site is the fact that there are alot of people who use a different companies products who can give us information about that company when we ask for it.

WE CAN MAKE OUR OWN MINDS UP, TO WHICH COMPANY TO USE. NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

I tend to follow along the lines of, 'If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys'. As Mundo says, that is not always the case, but it is pretty much the way IMHO. I have learned from having been burned!

Sass you are doing your dinger today LOL - good threads.

I originally trained with one of the top end companies because I wanted to get the best training to then allow me to save shed loads of money by then moving to less expensive products LOL. I pottered about for about three years using different products but never getting fantastic results. A friend who had trained with me had stuck with the original brand and she said she had confidence in the state of the returning nails - I could not say that.

I decided to move back to the original company. Since moving back, my costs have REDUCED - I have less repairs which I was giving away free and it takes me less time to do each treatment.

At the end of the day, you can only charge once for your time so it needs to be used as efficiently as possible. If you are a small outfit and spend lots of time on the phone ordering small amounts from various different suppliers to save a few pennies, this does not make sense.

We are grown ups with hopefully intelligent minds and we should be able to know what is true and what is not.

Education - can they help me improve as far in my career as I want to go?

We all have our own and very valid reasons for our choices,along with other points that Sassy made,the above is the main reason i intent to convert to another brand ! Howvever i do believe we should not judge others.Great thread Sass x

There is another element to this discussion as well, the perception by your clients that you are a nail professional using professional products and a professional system. If you want to cut corners on nail wipes, acetone and other things that really don't matter, that's one thing. But if I have trained with a certain manufacturer and I have my certificate proudly framed on the wall, my clients have a certain expectation that I will use the entire line of products from that manufacturer for consistency so I don't cherry pick bits and pieces. I feel your presentation to your client is just as important a part of the brand you are trying to create for yourself as the products you use.

My 2 cents....great thread !

Laura

I use bio and creative and from time to time I go to the wholesalers for the odd item I have run out of...however i do like to try new things more out of curiosity (not to see if its cheaper) and if the product worked well then I would be inclined to continue with it but I wouldnt pass it on as either of the above products cos thats not right !!

But I do like the fact that I am using what I think are the best products and I always tell my clients that -and they obviously like that too (who doesnt want to feel that they are having the best products used on them?)

Everyone has the right to place themselves where they want to be in the marketplace. High, middle or low end, any technician who is good at his/her job will make money.

I do not like pushy people who talk down to the British Nail Techs like they know nothing and need to be preached to in order to find out 'how it really is'. Most of us are not easily conned and peeps are naturally sus these days so are not taken in easily. Efficient, caring and honest distributors have loyal customers ... they have earned them.

We are not behind the times in the UK. In fact we are way ahead of the times in terms of education and skill in most respects. Nails are not new in Britain and the industry is thriving.

as with all fledglings, you will fly alone eventually, experiment and sometimes fall flat on your face, other times you will soar and wallow in your new discovery. It's all a journey, take your blinkers and training wheels off when you feel comfortable (but never forget your teachers) which help you make the educated decisions you now make) It's a very big world .......with many choices

Oh Dear what a can of worms, lets all take a deep breath and r e l a x it's a sunny day, the trouble with on line forums is you can perceive people to be pushy or rude without knowing the manner it was intended.

I mean to be neither but, i do tend to champion the underdog and like to have an open point of view.. thats just me.

Have fun.... and smile :hug:

Just wanted to point out one or two things, but before I do, let me say:
I respect a great many techs on this board, their experiences, their opinions, their work.... and I dont' recall ever putting anyone down or belittling them or whatever. If I have, then I apologize.

That said,
I have tried higher end brands.. I was NOT satisfied with neither the product NOR their idea of customer service/support. Maybe the lack of support was due to my local, but Montreal distributors of some of the higher end brands are the absolute PITS!!! Phone calls not returned before 2wks if AT ALL... and if they did, then they rushed me off the phone as opposed to answering my questions. that's not everyone's experience, just mine. Is it because I'm anglophone and dealing with francophone seperatists *(dont know how many are aware of language/political problems in quebec) or simply because those companies really didn't give a rat's butt about getting my business or not.... I couldn't say.

Also, "cheap" does not always refer to quality.
YES cheap product is poor product
Cheap prices does NOT always equal cheap product.

I have no lift on my clients. No yellowing. No problems with nno's lifting from free edge of natural nail. No pocket problems. etc...
My only problem client has been through 4techs with serious lifting as she "sort of" causes the problems herself (she has thyroid probs, takes antidepressants & other meds daily, is a vegetarian and is in her own home spa several times a week AND works in an office, banging at her nails on keyboards and in file cabinets regularly). With previous techs, she lifted in 2-4days... With me, she goes 2wks before we see any lift.

All that said, I do not feel that I'm offering a lower quality service to my clients or a disservice to myself if A)I choose to use lower cost products that WORK! b)choose to shop in the states as opposed to locally where it costs me 4x as much even after taking into account shipping and whatnot.

I feel that I've been insulted for making the best choices I could make for my business. Like I'm being told I'm the dummy when all I've seen are GREAT results.

I'm sorry that my posts cause such an uproar. This was NEVER EVER my intention. I found a great company that did great things for me. I wanted to share. I thought people would appreciate this and again, I never intended for people's noses to get out of joint.

anyway, have a great day. We are all savvy business people doing business our own way. If everyone did everything the same.... what a boring world this would be.

VHunter said:
anyway, have a great day. We are all savvy business people doing business our own way. If everyone did everything the same.... what a boring world this would be.

Oh hun wouldn't it just. I don't know why you feel this post was aimed at you, for a start it's not aimed at anyone. It was just a few recent comments that made my niggle become an irk!!!!

I think the problem is that sometimes we all latch onto certain sentences and ignore the rest. I don't have a problem with whatever anyone chooses to use, just as they shouldn't have with what I choose to use.

If you have found a product that truly works for you and you are happy with it then why be swayed by others saying that a cheaper or more expensive alternative will be better for you.

If you still feel agrieved about what I have to say then that's up to you, it's just my point of view at the end of the day, not a rock solid gospel to be upheld by all.

VHunter said:
Just wanted to point out one or two things, but before I do, let me say:
I respect a great many techs on this board, their experiences, their opinions, their work.... and I dont' recall ever putting anyone down or belittling them or whatever. If I have, then I apologize.

That said,
I have tried higher end brands.. I was NOT satisfied with neither the product NOR their idea of customer service/support. Maybe the lack of support was due to my local, but Montreal distributors of some of the higher end brands are the absolute PITS!!! Phone calls not returned before 2wks if AT ALL... and if they did, then they rushed me off the phone as opposed to answering my questions. that's not everyone's experience, just mine. Is it because I'm anglophone and dealing with francophone seperatists *(dont know how many are aware of language/political problems in quebec) or simply because those companies really didn't give a rat's butt about getting my business or not.... I couldn't say.

Also, "cheap" does not always refer to quality.
YES cheap product is poor product
Cheap prices does NOT always equal cheap product.

I have no lift on my clients. No yellowing. No problems with nno's lifting from free edge of natural nail. No pocket problems. etc...
My only problem client has been through 4techs with serious lifting as she "sort of" causes the problems herself (she has thyroid probs, takes antidepressants & other meds daily, is a vegetarian and is in her own home spa several times a week AND works in an office, banging at her nails on keyboards and in file cabinets regularly). With previous techs, she lifted in 2-4days... With me, she goes 2wks before we see any lift.

All that said, I do not feel that I'm offering a lower quality service to my clients or a disservice to myself if A)I choose to use lower cost products that WORK! b)choose to shop in the states as opposed to locally where it costs me 4x as much even after taking into account shipping and whatnot.

I feel that I've been insulted for making the best choices I could make for my business. Like I'm being told I'm the dummy when all I've seen are GREAT results.

I'm sorry that my posts cause such an uproar. This was NEVER EVER my intention. I found a great company that did great things for me. I wanted to share. I thought people would appreciate this and again, I never intended for people's noses to get out of joint.

Am I missing something here?

Latest posts

Back