Are you a true professional or do you just have a professional mentality?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
The word 'professional' is really bandied about quite allot but do we really know what it means and what it implies about us? What do you think?

There are three key words that are embodied in the word, Professional: Knowledge, Expertise and Experience. Defining the word professional may surprise some.

Definition of the Word Professional from the Oxford dictionary.

A Professional is a person who practices an occupation involving technical activities for others with a high standard of knowledge and skill, after successfully completing the required education and training.

There are many nail technicians who are calling themselves professional, but on comparison with the above definition, are clearly not. One can have a professional mentality but still not be classed as A professional by the above definition; for in any profession, in order to keep professional it is understood that one needs continuing development. If one does not continue developing in their professional field, then they should no longer be considered professional, for the very word can only involve a ‘life long learning’ mentality.

A Master is an authority … one who can teach others. Creative Nail Design was the first company to initiate Master Classes for Nail technicians in 1996, so that they could continue to develop not only their technical skills but their knowledge of the products and processes with which they work. As a company who have led the way for more then 25 years in nail enhancement product development, they knew that the nail technician should know it all, in order to offer the finest and safest service to their clientele. Classes are updated on a regular basis to keep Creative professionals at the top of their game.

Many nail technicians fall by the wayside as others with the ‘professional head’, overtake them in the field. Knowledge is power and it also empowers. Classes rekindle the passion for what we do and this in turn has a marked effect on ones business. It is easy in the nail salon, to get ‘burn out’. It has been proved that when one continues to develop ones knowledge base, ones business develops right along side. This alone should encourage busy nail technicians to take a bit of time out from their work to continue their education. Continuing professional development is good for ones health and the health of ones business not to mention the health of ones clientele and colleagues.

Gaining knowledge takes years of time; it is not something that can be rushed. Expertise also takes years to develop and evolve; and experience, even the word implies the time factor. By definition, experience cannot be gained quickly … experience means spending time on the job and time in the classroom. A real professional will take the necessary steps to stay professional.

Interesting read and thought provoking! Well I will be honest (as always:lol:) the term 'Nail Technician' grates on me...personally, I find the word 'technician' a bit on the degrading side... so as stated on my profile I try to call myself 'Nail Professional' however i don't always feel confident in actually saying to someone "Im a nail professional' because I know full well that I am no expert, I have little experience and a hell of a long long long way to go.....but I do aspire to be a professional...I really want to be true to the word...experienced, knowledgable and expert, and everything I do now I do with the view I want to be valued as 'being professional'...I like to think I do things in a professional manner whilst I work towards my goals...so do I have the right to describe myself as a professional....or am I just being professional? I guess im just being professional with an aspiration to being a professional!!!

I couldnt agree more about education...I personally cant see an end to educating myself....if there was an end then what would I keep striving for ...if this industry meant you didn't need to keep learning it could possibly become quite boring perhaps? where would the ideas come from...the inspiration etc there is always so much too learn with nails which is half the excitement for me x

Last edited:
I would like to think of myself as a professional Gigi, however when I first qualified in nails, I purely just thought of myself as, well a qualified nail technician. Even then though, I knew that there was more to this profession than just one course. I only had to look on here and see what many people had achieved through their education and experience and knew then, that this is what I wanted to achieve also.

As you know Gigi, I am now doing my CND masters and am very proud of what I have achieved so far since that date a few years ago when I first qualified in enhancements.

When I suggest a different shape or something different to my clients and they turn round and say well you know best you are the professional, I think to myself, that's right I am, and that is a great feeling. :)

Interesting read and thought provoking! Well I will be honest (as always:lol:) the term 'Nail Technician' grates on me...personally, I find the word 'technician' a bit on the degrading side... so as stated on my profile I try to call myself 'Nail Professional' however i don't always feel confident in actually saying to someone "Im a nail professional' because I know full well that I am no expert, I have little experience and a hell of a long long long way to go.....but I do aspire to be a professional...I really want to be true to the word...experienced, knowledgable and expert, and everything I do now I do with the view I want to be valued as 'being professional'...I like to think I do things in a professional manner whilst I work towards my goals...so do I have the right to describe myself as a professional....or am I just being professional? I guess im just being professional with an aspiration to being a professional!!!

I couldnt agree more about education...I personally cant see an end to educating myself....if there was an end then what would I keep striving for ...if this industry meant you didn't need to keep learning it could possibly become quite boring perhaps? where would the ideas come from...the inspiration etc there is always so much too learn with nails which is half the excitement for me x

By George, she's got it!! You've come a long long way since the first days with thesalongeek, Anna. We've sure butted heads a time or three, you and I, but I think maybe you sometimes think back on those times and finally know where I was coming from?

Fiona you are certainly a professional and doing everything you can do to stay professional ... that's the key. :hug::hug: to both.

You're on a roll today Gigi, another great thread!!

I believe I am professional both in my role and in my attitude. As a CND Master Tech I have knowledge and skill that has been recognised by someone at the top of the game, but I also know that is not the end of my educational journey. I have so much more I want to learn and develop, Brisa Skillbuilding has to be next!!!

In terms of how I run my business I am professional at all times - I buy my products from legitimate and authorised sources, I declare all my income to the taxman, I have a dedicated business phone number and bank account, I have a brand for my business.......

Professional is as Professional does, and the endless quest for short cuts and cheap products will bite those who take that route in the bum IMO.

Hi I have always thaught that being a professional is...
Someone who has the relevent uptodate qualifications.
Someone who eares their living from their trade.
Someone who takes their job seriously and does everything legaly has all the health and saftey knowledge.
In hair it goes. trainee, junior stylist, stylist, seniour stylist then some go up to things like artistic director/colour technition etc.
I am going to do my level three hair this coming september- I would consider myself "stylist" standard. With nails I did a year vtct with creative products(trasined with a creative master-Hi Della!!)-I would consider myself at the "juniour stylist" with nails (can do pink and white sculpting smile lines all maintanance mani pedi basic nail art etc) am going to go to plymouth soon to do more training with creative and more training with gels and more art. I think im in the early stages of my career and cant wait to learn more!!! I think that when they say oh her who does hair or her who does nails is what can make it seem unprofessional as the wholesalers sell to NON PROFESSIONAL people which I think is very unprofessional and needs to stop!!! Hope this helps xxx

Hi I have always thaught that being a professional is...
Someone who has the relevent uptodate qualifications.
Someone who eares their living from their trade.
Someone who takes their job seriously and does everything legaly has all the health and saftey knowledge.
In hair it goes. trainee, junior stylist, stylist, seniour stylist then some go up to things like artistic director/colour technition etc.
I am going to do my level three hair this coming september- I would consider myself "stylist" standard. With nails I did a year vtct with creative products(trasined with a creative master-Hi Della!!)-I would consider myself at the "juniour stylist" with nails (can do pink and white sculpting smile lines all maintanance mani pedi basic nail art etc) am going to go to plymouth soon to do more training with creative and more training with gels and more art. I think im in the early stages of my career and cant wait to learn more!!! I think that when they say oh her who does hair or her who does nails is what can make it seem unprofessional as the wholesalers sell to NON PROFESSIONAL people which I think is very unprofessional and needs to stop!!! Hope this helps xxx

Exactly right. So many people say to me "oh, I just went to xxxxx and got the stuff - I'm gonna do it myself". Even with waxing etc!

Exactly right. So many people say to me "oh, I just went to xxxxx and got the stuff - I'm gonna do it myself". Even with waxing etc!

Well you know what to do folks!!! Boycott them and don't buy from them. It's simple ... if they won't support you then don't support them.

I wouldn't dream of buying anything from a beauty wholesale chain unless they were pro only. I never ever have actually. I support my distributor who supports me by never selling to anyone who is untrained.

i still think of myself as just a qualified nail technician.im not sure that i will ever feel im able to call myself a professional as i will never actually ever finish learning etc...i am happy with the standard of my nails at the moment with the small amount of experience i have gained but i still want to be better and there are lots of things that i need to improve on with my work and which i will as time goes by and i keep learing and gain more experience.xgreat thread.x

Aston and finchers never serve the general public. They have it printed outside their warehouses and you have to set up a proper account and prove your insurance etc- I get my products from them but yes i admitt in the past ive used wholesalers whove asked for no i.d:eek: Whoops xx Also how do the general public Know how to begin to use a product because anything that I look at in a wholesale book other than hair and nails is like a forign language to me!!!) Its scary|!!!

Last edited:
I like to think of it as an ongoing thing.....you HAVE to keep up to date with the industry, training and products.
It goes on over time and I don't think you should ever think you know it all...it won't happen.
So many people come and go....

I like to think of it as an ongoing thing.....you HAVE to keep up to date with the industry, training and products.
It goes on over time and I don't think you should ever think you know it all...it won't happen.
So many people come and go....

Totally agree with you Judy, keeping up to date with products, training and what is happening within the industry keeps you ahead of your competitors and gives you the edge on them. :)

I consider myself a professional, I earn my living from my trade and I regularly attend trainings, trade shows and CPD by way of trade shows, this site, reading the trade mags etc.
Judy's right, so many techs come and go but some who aren't so professional will stay as the public still don't know what's what with regard to nail services.

For example, I had a new client in tonight who had been having her nails done for 5 years by a well known brand trained tech who had moved away. She couldn't believe how natural the nails I did looked...begs the question, what had she had before, but never questioned it as she, the client didn't know any different?

For the techs who have completed all their product suppliers courses, up to Master level....then what? Educators have ongoing trainings but what is there for those inbetween master and educator? I think that's a bit of a grey area in the industry. Yes, there will be classes for new innovations and products coming out, such as Poppits and custom blending but what does one do after that.

Great thread.

Last edited:
At CND the training is updated EVERY single year. No standing still for Creative Educators.:green: So one could take a class every year and it would be new information.

I once had a client come to me who had been having her nails done by one of my original members of salon staff. I had trained this girl and her nail work was beautiful and I knew her work inside and out. The client bad mouthed this girls work to me to get on my good side, she had no idea I had trained this girl and that she had worked for me for years. Quite funny really. Clients say allot of things to ingratiate themselves with a new tech not necessarily always the full truth! :lol:. If she'd been having her nails done loyally for 5 years then the technician was I'm sure doing a good job. I think we can take it that she was more than happy. In fact if she was running a successful salon for at least 5 years then I think we can take it she was pleasing her clients and doing well.

I consider myself to be a true professional. I attended cosmetology school, studied hard an became licensed in 1989. After a long absence from the profession (nails) I am continuing my education (even though it's NOT a requirement in my state...don't even get me started on THAT one...:irked:) and will continue my education as long as I am doing nails. I want to be the best Nail Pro I can be.

I use a professional brand (CND) which is known and respected world wide. I also only buy my products from licensed beauty supply stores.

Besides the above, I conduct myself professionally in the salon. I come to work in a good mood (even if I have to FAKE it, the client never knows), I dress appropriately, I don't gossip and I LISTEN to my client. It's all about them, making them feel pampered, paying attention to them.

Am I the BEST nail tech out there? Not by a long shot but I will ALWAYS to strive to do better!

Great thread, BTW! :hug:

For the techs who have completed all their product suppliers courses, up to Master level....then what? Educators have ongoing trainings but what is there for those inbetween master and educator? I think that's a bit of a grey area in the industry. Yes, there will be classes for new innovations and products coming out, such as Poppits and custom blending but what does one do after that.

Great thread.
Great point Cathie, I know I for one would have probably revisited the master program again if I'd not gone in for my educator training, and I feel thats where the 'event' comes in for theses techs who want that ongoing training, I know there were many masters (and grand masters) who attended for their own development, and as the master classes are always evolving and improving, masters who passed a few years ago would find lots new techniques and product development since then.

Great point Cathie, I know I for one would have probably revisited the master program again if I'd not gone in for my educator training, and I feel thats where the 'event' comes in for theses techs who want that ongoing training, I know there were many masters (and grand masters) who attended for their own development, and as the master classes are always evolving and improving, masters who passed a few years ago would find lots new techniques and product development since then.
Maybe there should be an annual Masters upgrade class.....I know the Event was populated by many Masters and Grand Masters too but it was such a mixed bag and huge, some more experienced master techs felt overlooked.... I know I wasn't there but have chatted to some and that's what they said. x

Maybe there should be an annual Masters upgrade class.....I know the Event was populated by many Masters and Grand Masters too but it was such a mixed bag and huge, some more experienced master techs felt overlooked.... I know I wasn't there but have chatted to some and that's what they said. x

Yes I think it would be good to see a 'post master' class and I think there has been talk of one in the past maybe worth a mention again xx

I'm sorry to think anyone felt overlooked at the event tbh, yes it was a huge event but everyone did there utmost so everyone had a good experience,.

At CND the training is updated EVERY single year. No standing still for Creative Educators.:green: So one could take a class every year and it would be new information.

I once had a client come to me who had been having her nails done by one of my original members of salon staff. I had trained this girl and her nail work was beautiful and I knew her work inside and out. The client bad mouthed this girls work to me to get on my good side, she had no idea I had trained this girl and that she had worked for me for years. Quite funny really. Clients say allot of things to ingratiate themselves with a new tech not necessarily always the full truth! :lol:. If she'd been having her nails done loyally for 5 years then the technician was I'm sure doing a good job. I think we can take it that she was more than happy. In fact if she was running a successful salon for at least 5 years then I think we can take it she was pleasing her clients and doing well.
She was working from home and working a 'main' job, I saw the remains of the old nails but that's by the by.......I still will stand by what I said about the general public not knowing a good nail from a hoof, until they stumble across a really good tech or salon.

Very thought provoking...

Different meanings for different people- we all consider Doctors, Lawyers, and Accountants professionals. We know they all wear suits or a Lab coat, charge riduculous amounts of money for their services (which usually reflect the amount of time they spent in school) and would be offended if they received a "tip" or gratuity.

Our industry is considered a TRADE profession, which makes us professionals (when we have gained experience and knowledge) so should we accept tips?

I know that traditions are different country to country, and tax laws are just as varied, but here tips are traditionally done in cash and "under the table" so that we aren't taxed on them. If a stylist here makes more than $20. per month technically their tips are to be included as wage and tax should be paid on them, if they are in cash the tips aren't as easy to track or prove and are often not reported. Many salon owners I know have posted gratuity policies, explaining they are professional and there fore do not accept tips.

Our post man doesn't get tipped, but we give him a gift (can't be cash, it's against the law, but can be a gift card???) each year at Christmas. Same for the paper boy (if he doesn't get the paper in the box though, his gift isn't going to be so nice!)

As an instructor, I don't accept tips, even if I've done most of the service, but give it to the student....so does that make me professional? I've got loads of experience, but a life long commitment to learning- things are to fluid in this industry not too, products and chemistry change, students become teachers and old ideas get updated or revamped.

Would it be ok to be a professional student?

Latest posts

Back