Are you a volunteer?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chameleon

Reaction score
....While beiing at uni this last year,i decided to do some voluntary work.

I had never done anything voluntary really,but thought i wanted to give back something of myself....have always been a taker really:o

I have worked on the hospital with cancer patients in Southampton,and also in the children's ward assisting the nurses and playworkers there.I have also worked with a charity organisation that deals with pre op transgender men and women as a life skills coach,and doing workshops in make up skin care,and body care,in Hampshire.I have made so many new friends the past few months,and just talking with people and showing some empathy has shown me that it is never too late to learn new things and to adapt with what life has thrown at you.

Has any one else a similar story to tell that relates to volunteering in any aspect? it would be nice to hear.:)

I volunteer and am really proud of it :D

I run a Rainbows pack (like Brownies and Guides but younger) and its great fun. Have done it since I was 15 and its really really great, the way it has worked out is 2 of my friends now "work" with me on it and together we make it fun for all of us.

I nearly did a befriending scheme with eldery people with no close by family but realistically I needed to have a free day a week to do it (old peeps don't like you dropping in at 8pm lol) but one day I will do it.

xxx

I used to work at Dogs Trust (nee NCDL) up until July last year and we had loads of volunteers (I used to be the volunteer co-ordinator in fact) and even now I go back from time to time. They had their summer fair yesterday and I donned my old (absolutley disgusting!) uniform and went and helped. I also have a dog (as one would expect) and she is a Pets as Therapy Dog and we go into old people's homes for them to pat her and stroke her and give her biscuits (although only the ones I took with me) and it really really made a difference to the people. They used to light up when Cassie came into the room and really be talkative and smiley which many of them weren't as a general rule.

I now work for a different charity which does a totally different thing and we have volunteers there too although not of the calibre of my volunteers! (I'm not vol co anymore which may be why! lol) but I will go in occasionally at the weekend if necessary to help if there aren't enough people.

It is also a very good way to get things on your CV, at Dogs we very often employed volunteers after they had proved their mettle as a volunteer and they made very good staff members.

I love doing the PAT stuff with Cassie and I love doing the open days and fairs, and I highly reccommend it to everyone.

Lx

I volunteer on a daily basis, I volunteer for a couple of dog charitys, local small ones, I do homechecks for dogs, cats, transport runs when needed, vet trips, fostering, I have a 6 month old am bulldog in at the minute. I do a lot of fundraising, usually at weekends.
I help out at another dog charity once a week helping clean the kennels, walk the dogs.
If I didn't have a mortgage to pay I would do this every day.
Heres the two charitys should anyone care to donate,
Pawz For Thought - rescuing animals in the north east.
"It's A Dog's Life"..... SHAK (Safe Homes And Kindness)

I volunteer in a charity shop for 10 hours per week - I find the work very rewarding and a break away from my real job!! It's great fun going through other peoples cast-offs/unwanted items and raising money for a very good cause. I've even managed to get a few of my clients to volunteer!

The charity is Children's Hospice South West - making the most of short precious lives. The charity provides hospice care for life-limited children and their families.

Claire
Bare Necessities

I wanted to volunteer to help the homeless, shelters, soup kitchens etc over the winter but the nearest one i found was nearly an hours drive away so it was unrealistic. I plan to do that one day. I specifically want to help homeless as i hate the thought of people being stuck out in the cold and its something that could happen to anyone for so many different reasons. I've been homeless but luckily had friends i could rely on, my brother has stayed in homeless shelters and got a lot of help from them so i would like to give something back one day when i am in a position to do so.

I volunteer regularly (nearly on a daily basis) at a primary school with any range of children from 4 to 11 - the last full day I did was a linking project where a school from a deprived area came to our school and did activities with our year 3 (60 year 3 in our school and 60 in the other!)

There is always reading and craftwork to do and then the ones which I like the best - the full days which have a theme such as Roman, Tudor, Evacuation days! We also have transition days to the secondary school for year 6 - oh and I took the year 6 to the secondary school to learn how to make lemonade :D

My boys love me being their and my nick name is "Mrs Brussell Sprout" :D

we do dog stuff, ****zu rescue,staffordshire bull terriers or any dog needing a home in our area, we actually would love to have kennels when we retire we mind dogs all the time for friends and colleagues,
i also teach fishing to local under privileged kids down the canal and our local parks pools , I put adds up in tackle shops for unwanted tackle and give it to the kids it teaches them about nature and keeping the environment clean and whilst there fishing there not causing problems on the streets

Until a few years ago, I was a volunteer for a charitable organisation, visiting the elderly.

I was assigned to visiting one lady in particular, and since her family didn't visit her very often, she often looked upon it as her highlight of the week. In fact, we became good friends over a period of 8 years, until she passed away at the ripe old age of 92.

I invited her to my wedding, and leading up to my big day, she would ask me what I thought she should wear, which I found both amusing and heart-rending at the same time. I have a lovely photo of the two of us on that day also.

I found this service to be very rewarding and like you Gabi, wanted to "give something back" to society. I would urge others to take up voluntary work, so that they too may enjoy this wonderful and unique life experience.

:hug: xx

Until a few years ago, I was a volunteer for a charitable organisation, visiting the elderly.

I was assigned to visiting one lady in particular, and since her family didn't visit her very often, she often looked upon it as her highlight of the week. In fact, we became good friends over a period of 8 years, until she passed away at the ripe old age of 92.

I invited her to my wedding, and leading up to my big day, she would ask me what I thought she should wear, which I found both amusing and heart-rending at the same time. I have a lovely photo of the two of us on that day also.

I found this service to be very rewarding and like you Gabi, wanted to "give something back" to society. I would urge others to take up voluntary work, so that they too may enjoy this wonderful and unique life experience.

:hug: xx
That is a wonderful life experience that you must have encountered,and a lovely story.The little things such as a smile and a helping hand can lead to real friendships and life long friends,or just a fleeting passing and a "momentarily" friendship.

I love going from ward to ward and meeting different people,using a PDA system,which is like a blackberry so i can obtain information into how the NHS is performing.Patients will not admit things to nurses and allied health proffs,so when there is someone unbiased like myself to help they can and will provide!

I especially like going onto the stroke ward where i can help,as it is a field that appeals to me.Being patient with them,and letting them take thier own pace when talking is not a problem to me.Sometimes i could be with one patient for an hour doing a consultation,but ultimately it is the time and effort made from the patient to make contact.It is also good for the patient to communicate effectively,and volunteering alongside the speech and language therapists have been brilliant.

I am also learning new things and skills about myself.I think i am never to be doing just "one thing at a time".

We also have dogs used in PAT therapy in the hospital,and and it is such effective theraputic therapy for patients.

Some amazing volunteering stories i have read here:hug:

i would love to vounteer but i cant seem to find te right thing at the moment .. canadian are massive on volunteering so i have been scouring all the organisations but yet no avail , lol i might be able to do more once olivia is at school in sept x

I wanted to volunteer to help the homeless, shelters, soup kitchens etc over the winter but the nearest one i found was nearly an hours drive away so it was unrealistic. I plan to do that one day. I specifically want to help homeless as i hate the thought of people being stuck out in the cold and its something that could happen to anyone for so many different reasons. I've been homeless but luckily had friends i could rely on, my brother has stayed in homeless shelters and got a lot of help from them so i would like to give something back one day when i am in a position to do so.

I drive an hour every week to kennels where I help out, gives me relaxation time, an hours driving isn't long really.

I'm the vice chair of our village parish council (lordy, people get very exercised about dog poo and streetlighting), and I run a ladies business networking group once a month. Both are voluntary and I really enjoy them.

I volunteer twice a week at St Helena Hospice, North Essex at the day centre. I wanted a bit more experience in this field as I was starting a degree in Reflexology, sadly the course was cancelled, I love going the people are so nice, I can't imagine not doing it now.

Latest posts

Back