At My Wits End!!!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobile_beauty

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I have started renting a room for beauty therapy and i am having trouble getting clients!

I have spent so much money advertising!!! For example...

I have handed hundreds off leaflets out on the high street where i have the room
I have put a quarter page advert in my local guardian
I have put leaflets in shops and hairdresser
Given business cards out
and still i have no clients (except about 5 regulars)i have only started up a 2weeks ago so i wanted to know if anyone else has had the same problem, i obviously dont expect a rush of clients within my first week but at lease two or 3 would be great!!!

Also the salon where i used to work is putting negative and offensive comments in my 'book online' box on my website which directs to my email, I keep thinking its clients but its not, its so disapointing! Argh I feel so down...

I know I'm rambling but i would love some advice or anyone else who has started up and had the same problem.

Im feeling so frustrated as i have spent soo much time and effort in all of my designs,advertising,leaflet handing out, and website! Im not getting anything back!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
I'm sorry to here that the salon you used to work for are being so negative about you....It's not very professional.

It is difficult at first but most people come by word of mouth.....could you maybe organize an evening.

Get as many family and friends as possible in one evening....people are always curious as to whats going on....maybe ask them to bring their friends....Why not have free demonstrations for treatments.

Just a few suggestions

HPH

Thanks thats a good idea i have thought of an open evening for new clients but never friends and family and thier friends
Thanks
x

I would defo start with taking your book online offline straight away if thats what they are playing at. Open evenings are a good idea and money off vouchers or a small freebie with a treatment ?? Also try slimming clubs and gyms. Most of mine seem to be word of mouth, unfortunately there is only a small percentage of comeback from handing out flyers etc 1% or something like that. Try a client referral scheme aswell. Hang in there, but take that online book away now ! xxx

If i read that right you have only been there two weeks. If thats right let me add, in this industry it isnt always about what you spend on advertising (i have spent £10K a year some years) its about word of mouth.

Your clients will come and when they do you will start getting busier and busier. Its like a snowball it starts small and if you give it a little push (i.e your advertising) it starts rolling slowly getting bigger, and the bigger it gets the faster and bigger it goes!

Find the source of advertising that IS giving you enquiries and stick to that one source (i find yell.com is brill but some on here dont agree so its what works best for you). Obviously dont stop putting leaflets in shops and through doors etc but limit what you spend. your business will pick up and this time of year can be a struggle but you have started at the right time as from the end of october clients start preparing for xmas parties so you will get busier.

When you look back in a year though you will see the majority of clients were from referals and word of mouth!

kate x

Hi Geeks,

I have started renting a room for beauty therapy and i am having trouble getting clients!

I have spent so much money advertising!!! For example...

I have handed hundreds off leaflets out on the high street where i have the room
I have put a quarter page advert in my local guardian
I have put leaflets in shops and hairdresser
Given business cards out
and still i have no clients (except about 5 regulars)i have only started up a 2weeks ago so i wanted to know if anyone else has had the same problem, i obviously dont expect a rush of clients within my first week but at lease two or 3 would be great!!!

Also the salon where i used to work is putting negative and offensive comments in my 'book online' box on my website which directs to my email, I keep thinking its clients but its not, its so disapointing! Argh I feel so down...

I know I'm rambling but i would love some advice or anyone else who has started up and had the same problem.

Im feeling so frustrated as i have spent soo much time and effort in all of my designs,advertising,leaflet handing out, and website! Im not getting anything back!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

1)Rise above the nonsense with the other salon..remove the comments section on your website immediately until such times as things quieten down.
2) Building a business does take time so be patient..if you are a good therapist then word of mouth will bring in new customers for you...it does take time though and unfortunately this time of year is fairly quiet...buisness increases towards Christmas so set your stall out and try and grab as much festive business as possible.

The suggestions already made are excellent ways of generating a customer base.

Just remember..when things are looking bad...have some faith in yourself..there will be many times when you wonder why the hell you did this business venture...its those that stick with it that are successfully in the longer term.
So get some support from your family and freinds..buddy up with someone who is prepared to kick your butt each time you find things are getting on top of you or that your ready to pack it in.

Your business as a therapist will be made or lost through you personelly..so positive attitude at all times,ignore negative jibs and keep on trying...you will get there in the end :hug:

When I first started renting a room in the salon im currently in I did a 50% off all treatments on Thurs & Fri for two weeks. I was fully booked the whole time and all I did was advertise this in the hair salon and two adverts in the local paper.

Many of those first clients are still with me today, there were quite a few that continued coming when I had special offers then gradually dissapeared and a few that just wanted a one off discounted treatment that I never saw again but overall it worked.

One thing I would suggest is if you do offer a big discount limit it to one treatment per client as I had one lady that tried to get in for every treatment going and only ever re-booked for treatments that were on special offer, as soon as I stopped doing very generous offers I never saw her again !

All the advertising that you have done did you do it prior to launching ? I did all of mine in the weeks BEFORE i actually opened. Have you got any clients from your previous salon ?

Try to be positive hun....it does take time to get going.
As has been said, get rid of the book online thing...at least that's one worry gone. x

You need to call in Rent-A-Crowd in the form of family n friends. Get bums on seats and let everyone see people coming in and out, offer your neighbours deals and let them do the talking.
It takes time - just hang in there

I do Geeg's ' Share the secret'
My client recommends me to a friend, that friends books and has a treatment, my client gets a saving on her next treatment, the new client 'shares the secret' gets me another client..etc...etc....the snowball gets bigger.
This hads worked a treat for me through the year.

5 regulars in two weeks is good!

If only 3 of them bring someone else to you by word of mouth (use the encouragment methods already mentioned)....that could be another 3 possibles to turn in to regulars...and if they in turn tell others about you...can you see how quickly this could build?

5 regulars in two weeks is good! Keep smiling and giving more than your clients expect and you will get there, at this stage you just need to be patient and take the opportunity to hone your skills!

Hey Thanks for all the advice feeling abit more uplifted now x

Latest posts

Back