Average Joe Sued for Doing Teeth Whitening

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smooth

Reaction score
For a while now I have been posting on here regarding the fact that only dentists should carry out teeth whitening. There has been a growing number of geeks stating that it is not illegal and even companies posting on here offering training. I have been trying to prevent geeks from spending thousands on machines and training and to protect them from prosecution but there is one particular geek I can think of that continued to post and try to ridicule my comments referring back to so called legislation.

I have now found evidence to prove what I am saying is factual in that the GDC have successfully prosecuted people who are carrying out the dental procedure, teeth whitening, when they are not been registered with the GDC. Further legal cases are in process also.

I am posting this to prevent others from wasting their money, prevent them being prosecuted and to clarify the current position.

The following is extracted from one website regarding a non dental person who was sued and pleaded guilty to carrying out a dental procedure, namely teeth whitening:

The GDC has successfully prosecuted a non-registrant for performing tooth whitening, which the GDC regards as the practice of dentistry. On Wednesday at City of Westminster Magistrates Court in London 48 year old Paul William Hill of Warrington, Director of PW Healthcare Consulting Limited, pleaded guilty to four offences including practising dentistry while not registered as a dentist or dental care professional between 2 October 2010 and 11 March 2011. Under the Dentists Act 1984 it is an offence for non-registrants to practise or be prepared to practise dentistry.

The GDC launched the case last year after it received hundreds of complaints from members of the public and dental professionals about tooth whitening treatment being provided by individuals who are not registered dental professionals.
The GDC, which regulates all dental professionals in the UK, began criminal proceedings under the Dentists Act 1984 on the grounds that tooth whitening may only lawfully be provided by those who are registered dental professionals. Charges relating to two other people and one other company have been adjourned until 18 May.

So in light of this information any geeks that are undertaking teeth whitening or any geeks who have salons with non registered personnel carrying out teeth whitening what are your plans? Approach company for a refund, cease practicing or carry on regardless?

Thanks for that, all though I don't offer this service nor plan to, I think it is important for geeks here to understand that it is not only unethical for non dental personnels to carry out this treatment it is also illegal.

Its really good that this has been confirmed. I think its worrying how many therapists want to do teeth whitening its dangerous in the wrong hands. I had it done afew years ago by a company that went into salons, they werent dental professionals. They burnt my gums, caused me terrible pain in my teeth and gave me no aftercare to follow so the effects didnt even last.

My dentist that I have now and a good friend that is a dental nurse always assure me its illegal for non dental professionals and so it should be! xx

I asked my dentist the same thing when I last visited and she told me that it was illegal for anyone to carry out teeth whitening unless they were a qualified dentist. I personally wouldn't let anyone touch or do anything to my teeth unless they were qualified and actually new my dental history. So glad to know that this is now confirmed. Thank you for keeping us all informed.

Thank you for reading and the positive comments too, how awful for you to have someone unqualified do damage to you treasure.

Please ensure that all salon owners see this so they can get a dentist in to offer teeth whitening x

I have a story about non dental teeth whitening. About three years ago at the royal cornwall show, which is held in a massive showground in my town, there was a teeth whitening stand. They were selling there kits, they said they were exactly the same as what a dentist has, but you didnt use gum shields you used this plastic strip thing instead. Anyway I thaught it cant be harmful, no laser or anything, its got to be better than the kits you get in boots etc, so me and my mum both braught a kit. Anyway we got them out, the girls at the stand all had lovely white teeth and the thing that was meant to hold the peroxide in your mouth was like a piece of bubble wrap material thing, we put the gel on and its all ran all over our gums and the strips just came off. Anyway the girls ar the show, they said you can look on our websight, so I typed it in and there was no address, so I googled it, still nothing, so there was no websight. Nothing, no phone number, I was so angry. But what they didnt realise is my mum had an exibitor pass, and her boss gave her one for me aswell, so we went and complained. They instantly gave out money back, no questions asked, looked all sheepish, they probably thaught that people buying them would not pay the 15 pounds to get back in to complain!! I thaught about it after and thaught how could I have been so stupid, I dont even know if they were sterile, it started burning when it touched the gums etc. Anyway thats my little story. Never again will I buy anything like that, I should of known better!!! I am however going to one day get my teeth done, my dentist does whitening (the gum shield way) so when I can afford it, I cant wait. x

Sarahpoppy24, luckily you got your money back but sorry about the damage, more stories seem to be emerging about non qualified people doing teeth whitening, anyone thinking of training now or are you all convinced it should be left to dentists?

Definitely advocates qualified professionals for appropriate treatments x

This is why I have and will continue to stay away from anything to do with teeth whitening. Even the retail 'at home' kits. To me, it's not worth the risk. Leave it up to the professional dentists who know what they are doing. After all, us therapists wouldn't like it if the local dentist started offering manicure treatments. Our first words would be 'what does a dentist know about nails?'
No, I think I'll just leave well enough alone!!

We have teeth whitening performed in a lil booth in the middle of the mall. I wonder if they are professionals?

This is why I have and will continue to stay away from anything to do with teeth whitening. Even the retail 'at home' kits. To me, it's not worth the risk. Leave it up to the professional dentists who know what they are doing. After all, us therapists wouldn't like it if the local dentist started offering manicure treatments. Our first words would be 'what does a dentist know about nails?'
No, I think I'll just leave well enough alone!!

Absolutely, I think that is why medical professionals are annoyed too at therapists wanting to administer botox and fillers so I don't they they should be given a hard time about it. I agree, that you enter an industry for a reason and you should stick to what you know. I wouldn't dream of attempting a manicure now even though I have a bt qualification as well as my nursing one, just like I wouldn't dream of trying to undertake teeth whitening.

We have teeth whitening performed in a lil booth in the middle of the mall. I wonder if they are professionals?

There is one in the middle of a UK airport, although they are dentists so you never know!!

there is a salon near me that offers this service for £99 a go.

How do i know if they are legally able to perform it or not and ifnot who can i report them too?

Never been tempted myself to have them done at a salon etc, but have always wondered how they are qualified to do it. So how are the young ladies working in shopping centres like bluewater with the little stalls able to offer this treatment legally? Wouldn't the shopping centre have to ensure they are treating people legally?

I had my teeth whitened last year, there is no way I would have let a non professional touch my teeth I have seen the mess some of my freinds made with home kits! Also looking to get some kind of laser hair removal done this year and will probably use the same clinic :biggrin: xx

there is a salon near me that offers this service for £99 a go.

How do i know if they are legally able to perform it or not and ifnot who can i report them too?

Straight away the price screams not qualified, dentists would charge near on £300 for it. As Lynn said there are trading standards but you can also go direct to GDC, they have a specific department for people who want to report non registrants undertaking dental procedures.

Never been tempted myself to have them done at a salon etc, but have always wondered how they are qualified to do it. So how are the young ladies working in shopping centres like bluewater with the little stalls able to offer this treatment legally? Wouldn't the shopping centre have to ensure they are treating people legally?

I think just because they get insurance they think they can do it but the insurance is laughing all the way. Maybe the centres are not checking, they may just want the money. Perhaps everyone should start reporting it to stamp out this illegal practice which is harmful in the wrong hands?

stupid question maybe, but could dental nurses/hygienists carry out the teeth whitening?

They do laser teeth whitening (Re worded advertisement)

usual £149 down to £99

Is this the same or can this be done legally?

Well dental hygienists are registered with GDC so i would say yes, dental nurses can but only with enhanced training beforehand so normal NVQ qualification no.

This is a really interesting thread. I have always kept away from contentious treatments. I prefer to concentrate on the grooming side of beauty. One of our clients has set up a tooth whitening business from home though. She is not dental trained, just one of those people out to make a buck. I thought it all sounded wrong.

Latest posts

Back