Average Joe Sued for Doing Teeth Whitening

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked out the website for the company that were set up in the shopping centre and it says that they are all registered with the GDC, so i guess that's all above board.

Persianista, if you don't mind me asking, now that you know that this client is perfoming these treatments whilst not a member of th GDC, will you tell her that she could be sued and/or report her?

Will give that question some thought.

Interesting thread thank you, I don't do teeth whitening as I wouldn't trust anyone but a dental professional to touch my teeth so I wouldn't touch anyone elses!

I'm glad everyone is enjoying it and that it is providing clarity into current legislation. I think though that we have a responsibility to at least warn these unqualified and illegal people and if they carry on regardless then yes they should be reported.

I'm pretty sure there were some companies offering training for this at professional beauty at excel!! My friend was tempted, thank god she didn't go for it!

I am so glad this has been brought into light. I see them in the town centre, but I would never ever have them done in a stall (even if they are qualified). It is just not very professional and I would rather have my teeth done in a clean and sterile environment.. like the dental surgery!!

I value my teeth and woudnt risk paying £99 for teeth whitening by an unqualified dentist... erruuughh no way xx:evil:

I'm pretty sure there were some companies offering training for this at professional beauty at excel!! My friend was tempted, thank god she didn't go for it!

There you go, just goes to show you that just because it is at a well known show it doesn't make it right! Thankfully your friend steered clear.

I am so glad this has been brought into light. I see them in the town centre, but I would never ever have them done in a stall (even if they are qualified). It is just not very professional and I would rather have my teeth done in a clean and sterile environment.. like the dental surgery!!

I value my teeth and woudnt risk paying £99 for teeth whitening by an unqualified dentist... erruuughh no way xx:evil:

Absolutely, let's stop these money grabbing people and report them to the GDC.

I was only talking to my friend the other day on tooth whitening and she was saying it's all well and good whitening your teeth but the formulas contained in these kits kill off the good bacteria in your mouth that prevents the pores opening on the tooth enamel and then she was saying about oral cancer is starting to be on the rise and that the dental council are going to be looking into the bleaching stats and the links with cancer in the mouths of the young. Some levels in the uk have been found to be 270 times over the 0.1 limit enough to bleach your hair and more. I think I'd like to stay o'naturel and let people see the real me.

The thing as well to remember is that having your teeth done profesionaly is not that expensive anyway. My friend is a dental nurse, she and all the girls who work there have had it done bye their boss, their teeth are so white and lovely. My dentist surgery also does it. Its about 350 for the whole lot, you get the gumshields made for you bye the dentist. And then you get the bleach solution. So its a one off payment, then if you want to top it up a couple years later, you only need to buy the bleach solution from the dentist, as you have the gumshield for life. And as its done bye a dentist, there is no risk of it being a funny clour or anything, all the girls teeth at this dentist my friend works for are like hollywood white, so lovely. I cant wait to get mine done. A few hundred pounds for garanteed whitness for life, thats not much considering people pay out that kind of money on a regualar basis for botox etc. XX

I was only talking to my friend the other day on tooth whitening and she was saying it's all well and good whitening your teeth but the formulas contained in these kits kill off the good bacteria in your mouth that prevents the pores opening on the tooth enamel and then she was saying about oral cancer is starting to be on the rise and that the dental council are going to be looking into the bleaching stats and the links with cancer in the mouths of the young. Some levels in the uk have been found to be 270 times over the 0.1 limit enough to bleach your hair and more. I think I'd like to stay o'naturel and let people see the real me.

Ooh now that is a thought provoking comment, do pores open on the surface of the teeth???? There would be so many variables in that study though, you would have to exclude subjects who smoke, drank alcohol, exposed themselves to all known carcinogens for the control group. That would be nigh on impossible I would think.

The thing as well to remember is that having your teeth done profesionaly is not that expensive anyway. My friend is a dental nurse, she and all the girls who work there have had it done bye their boss, their teeth are so white and lovely. My dentist surgery also does it. Its about 350 for the whole lot, you get the gumshields made for you bye the dentist. And then you get the bleach solution. So its a one off payment, then if you want to top it up a couple years later, you only need to buy the bleach solution from the dentist, as you have the gumshield for life. And as its done bye a dentist, there is no risk of it being a funny clour or anything, all the girls teeth at this dentist my friend works for are like hollywood white, so lovely. I cant wait to get mine done. A few hundred pounds for garanteed whitness for life, thats not much considering people pay out that kind of money on a regualar basis for botox etc. XX

I love the look of white teeth but not too white, that whiter than white is a bit too unnatural for my liking but each to their own. I agree this procedure if done by a dentist will be the safest way forward. Also, you get better results doing the home kit than you do with a light system that seem to be everywhere.

hi,

I too am interested in this. My friend has started doing this as a mobile technician and has just got into a local nail bar.

House of Lords and the EU ruled in 2001 that teeth whitening is actually a cosmetic procedure, so you dont have to be a dentist. I have spoken to my friend about this and she told me that the gel she uses is non peroxide, (so no bleach, perfectly safe) shes uses a desensitiser before hand and then uses an LED light.

She has many regular customers who are very happy with the service and has had no problems at all.

I do worry sometimes for her, but she has got public liability insurance which covers for use of gels, light etc.

Just in my area, there are so many salons etc that have got people coming in to do teeth whitening.

I dont agree with untrained people using peroxide or dioxide, cos I have seen the damage that can cause. But non peroxide gels are safe.

I had it done, and never felt a thing. no pain, no tingling, no nothing.

She is such a good good friend, should I still be worried? or should I just mind my own business??

xxx

forgot to mention, she has had results of 8-10 shades whiter.

I think this whole issue is:confused:

She wants me to work with her cos shes so busy, shall I pay out and train???

I'm interested to know what whitening gel your friend uses.
In dentistry it's either carbamide peroxide or hydrogen peroxide.
Not sure what else would perform the same function.

I'm interested to know what whitening gel your friend uses.
In dentistry it's either carbamide peroxide or hydrogen peroxide.
Not sure what else would perform the same function.

hiya, she uses a gel which contain sodium perborate. when this comes into contact with water it produces 0.1% hydrogen peroxide which is well below the legal limit :suprised:

The gdc and trading standards are not interested my friend reported someone operating next door for teeth whitening to both her responses were from trading standards to contact the gdc and the gdc sent a complicated email basically saying nothing they can do about it, my friend is a dentist so did this anonymously as she knows that these people are not registered, so what's the point? It's going to continue as they gdc are not really doing anything about things

Does it depend on the method used for the process as to whether the practitioner needs to be gdc registered?

A client of mine has just had a problem with laser tooth whitening. She was left in severe pain and her dentist said a nerve had been damaged and she has had to have root canal treatment. She did manage to get a refund from the clinic which was in Milton Keynes.

The irony of it is that it was a birthday gift from her husband and what she really wanted was pmu eyeliner because she likes mine. However her hubby refused to pay for it because he thought it was risky !

Latest posts

Back