Back ache when waxing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janjan1

Reaction score
I did a full leg wax yesterday and my back is absolutely killing me. I have a static couch which is quite low. Does anyone have any advice/tips to avoid back ache. my friend suggested raising my couch but can't see how I could do that without it looking silly/unprofessional. I thought about sitting down but then my wax pot would be too high.

Does anyone else suffer from this when waxing/giving other treatments

Jan x

Hi, i dont get this problem myself but my friend who is a beauty therapist gets backache alot because of doing massage and waxing etc all day and she has a higher couch now so i think it would be a good idea for you to raise your couch as your friend suggested otherwise you will just continue to get backache from the couch being low down.

hope this helps you,good luck x

When i did my massage course recently, we were told to make sure we buy a couch which is the correct height for us to avoid backache etc.
Couches come in all different heights. On our course the instructor had 4 couches, all at different heights - so we were able to test which was the best for us.

Hi,are you waxing from one side or coming round the other side of the couch to do the leg furthest away from you?We have tiny rooms in our salon and therefore I have to do all my waxing from one side which is a back killer.You can use wooden blocks underneath the feet of the couch to raise the couch,make sure these are much wider than the width of the feet on the couch though otherwise you could make the couch unstable.The couch really needs to be the correct height to match your height or you will be stretching unnecessary which causes short term back pain but long term problems.HTH

Here are my tips:

after and during waxing try and have a stretch back to straighten your back

when waxing bend your knee or do a side squat so you aren't using the back muscles all the time. Also this tones your legs up!

hths' xx

I have got quite a large room so work round both sides of couch. I pull my couch out though when waxing then push against wall when finished. didn't think about couch heights when I bought it. Thought they were all a standard size but not the case. do you think wooden blocks would do?

Any other suggestions. Thankfully I don't get full leg waxes on a regular basis

janjan1 said:
I have got quite a large room so work round both sides of couch. I pull my couch out though when waxing then push against wall when finished. didn't think about couch heights when I bought it. Thought they were all a standard size but not the case. do you think wooden blocks would do?

im the same hun, i get a really bad lower back ache when i do leg waxing, i will be reading this thread with interest xxx

janjan1 said:

We had wooden blocks on our college couches.However I must stress that I wouldn't use them if doing a massage.I would be worried about the couch moving whilst massaging.They were specially made blocks and were quite a lot wider than the couch.They would be ok as a short term solution in my opinion,but in all honesty I would say when you can, get a height adjustable couch.It really will save your back in the long run.

tinkywinky said:
Here are my tips:

after and during waxing try and have a stretch back to straighten your back

when waxing bend your knee or do a side squat so you aren't using the back muscles all the time. Also this tones your legs up!

hths' xx

Right, all full leg waxes round mine!! I'm gonna have buns of steel!! lol!:lol:

I really think the only way to help the old back is to have a higher couch. I am desperately saving to get myself an electric couch, so I can position it correctly for every treatment. I currently have the REM Naturelle (?) couch, which does have height adjustment, but you have to do it manually by unlocking the legs. It helps a lot with the back but if you have busy day is a nightmare keep doing the legs!

Think my hubby would divorce me if I told him I was buying anything else lol . Will try the squats. Could do with toning my bum ha

is it possible to build some sort of platform for your couch to go on ? much more stable than blocks for the legs i should think.

Do you get the back ache when you stand on one side of the couch more than when you stand on the other. I used to just get it when I was standing on the right of the couch (I am right handed) as I felt twisted trying to wax as my left side was nearest to the couch so I have . Also try to stand more upright and bend your knees to go lower instead of bending your back.

Im almost 6 ft so i have to have an electric couch to get it high enough for me. If my couch is too low i bend my back to get to clients while waxing, and when u do that all day it takes its toll. Its so important to have the correct equipent. u dont want ur career cut short because you have a bad back after a couple of years!

xx

angel fingers said:
is it possible to build some sort of platform for your couch to go on ? much more stable than blocks for the legs i should think.

also...

you cant have the couch too high to start with because some clients will struggle to get up on it. Thats why its best to get one that u can adjust the height of.

I had a brill 3 section hydraulic couch in my last salon! cost about £350. but well worth it!!

Its a bit crap that i have to pay twice as much for stuff because im tall tho!! lol. :rolleyes:

the question is here, has your job been properly risk assessed?
my husband is a health and safety officer and as told me to give you this advice. Risk assessment, is purely a means of assessing the hazards involved in doing your job.
Question 1. Has your employer given you any information/training on posture and stance?
Question 2. Is the equipment you use adjustable to your heigth? ( for example a person at 5ft2 may easily reach a client on a bed, how ever a person at 5ft8 may need to stoop to reach a client). you can eliminate the need to stoop by having adjustable equipment, like a dentists chair. my advice to you would be to initially make a complaint to your employer, and to see if their is any one else suffering with the same problem.

I work for myself from home so only me to blame for buying a couch not suitable. I always make costly mistakes in buying things on impulse. But you are right in saying I don't want to end my career with a bad back.

Katelisa said:
also...

you cant have the couch too high to start with because some clients will struggle to get up on it. Thats why its best to get one that u can adjust the height of.

I had a brill 3 section hydraulic couch in my last salon! cost about £350. but well worth it!!

Its a bit crap that i have to pay twice as much for stuff because im tall tho!! lol. :rolleyes:
We have a foot stool in our salon for our clients to get onto the couch,this is a standard,non height adjustable couch.There are many littleuns out there who have problems getting onto the couch,even at the normal couch height.Wish we had height adjustable couches in our salon.I suffer with ongoing backache so try to bend and stretch whenever I can.I think it should be Law to have height adjustable couches for the sake of health and safety.Still,it's down to money at the end of the day and a lot of people cant afford these luxuries, unfortunately.

Latest posts

Back