Bad salon, nails ruined, advice please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poonum

Reaction score
I've only just found this site and have found it really helpful and informative, and would like to tell my story as a customer and ask for some advice. Until recently I was a fortnightly customer at a Vietnamese nail salon in Swanley in Kent. I had been having infills there every 2 weeks for about 3 months on a set of nails they put on that I believed to be gel overlays.

My horror story began a month ago whilst having infills - I always found certain technicians at the salon a bit too harsh and had often come away with sore tender nails for a few days after, but this time was much worse. I feel stupid now for never saying anything when something hurt, or realising that this isn't the way nails are meant to be done! But it's always packed in there, with people sitting queuing for 30 minutes at a time for an appointment, and always leaving looking very happy. On this occasion the technician caught the drill on my cuticle and sides around my nails quite a few times, and I did pull away, but I really did think that I was just being a wimp - that it must be the norm as nobody else in there ever seemed disatisfied!

Anyway a few hours after leaving the salon my fingers started to swell up and go red, they hurt like hell, burning, itching and throbbing. I hardly slept that night because of the pain, and the next morning was even worse, my fingers had swollen to twice their size. I went to my doctor who told me I had a severe nail bed infection, undoubtedly caused by poor hygienne in the salon. I had to confess that I hadn't really paid attention to the hygiene practice there, stupid I now know, and I couldn't remember ever seeing any of the equipment being cleaned. In fact the tools were always very dusty, which I assume was the residue of the person's nails done before me!

The doctor told me if I hadn't gone to him straight away I could've got seriously ill with blood poisoning, and he put me on very strong antibiotics, 2 a day for 2 weeks. I also had to take pain killers and antihistamenes and was told there was no way I could have the overlays removed until the infection had cleared up completely. He also said that it was very likely that I could lose my own nails and they could quite literally fall off! The next few days were awful, my nails started seeping sticky yellow fluid from under my own nail, I was in so much pain I couldn't do anything with my hands for nearly a week. Then as the infection started to dry up, layers of my skin around my nails started to peel off, leaving red raw skin underneath. It took about 2 weeks before the peeling stopped and the skin started to heal.

Now 4 weeks on I've finally been able to have the overlays taken off. This time I did my research and went to a good reputable salon, I learnt there that I didn't have what I believed to be gel overlays, but in fact they had used a chemical used in the dental industry called MMA, that bad salons can buy very cheaply. Apparently it is banned in America but not over here in the UK! When the overlays were soaked off the state of my own nails underneath was horrific. I have deep dents and grooves where they used the electric file too hard, little spots of dried blood under the nail from the trauma, and most of my nails have large patches of white lifting away from the nail bed, and the skin around my nails is looking stretched and wrinkled. It's also very irritated again after the soaking off, but I was desperate to just get rid of the overlays in the end.

So first of all I'd like some advice on how to help my nails return to a healthy state!! Is there anything I can do to stop the lifting from the nail bed? I read somewhere that once a nail starts lifting in one place it will continue all over until the whole nail comes away and falls off - is that true?! I've always had weak nails that split, hence why I started having overlays in the first place, so is there anything I can use to make them stronger that really does work? Also, should I avoid ever having overlays done again in the future?

Finally, having researched into these bad nail salons, I want to know why there is no publicity or guidelines out there for us in the UK about these places? If I had known about MMA / electric files / sterilisation then I would NEVER have used this salon in the first place - there just seems to be no publicity about them for the general public, so outside of the industry how are us customers supposed to know what is a good salon and what is a bad one? If MMA is banned in the USA then why not over here? Nail salons should be regulated so that these bad ones don't exist in the first place - there doesn't seem to be any code of practice in the nail industry that protects the public from dodgy salons.

I phoned my local council to tell environmental health what had happened to me, but the lady was very off-hand with me and she seemed to think I was making a fuss over nothing! She also practically accused me of being racist because I mentioned that I hadn't bothered to go back and tell the salon as they didn't speak much English.

So that's my long (sorry!) story, I'd appreciate any advice and comments, and also what do people think about campaigning for some publicity about these places to preotect people in the future? I'd be interested to hear your points of view...

Get some solar oil from a decent salon and use it at least twice a day. Once the separated nail has grown out and your nails are healthy there is no reason you can't have overlays again in the future, and Im sure you will steer clear of salons using this product from now on. There are a lot of threads and posts regarding MMA and salons which use this product. Have a look around x

ooh so sorry this has happend to you .....your nails might be ok I would suggest you keep them short since they are damaged, thin and lifting ....I would also put nothing on them besides a good cuticle oil I would wait a good 6 months( time to heal) before you have enhancements applied again......as far as the Salons as with any service you should do your homework before hand .....cheap is not always better .....there will always be dodgy places no matter where you go ...... IMO all we can do as working techs is to sing our praises on our work ethics / clean salons and do what needs to be done on avoiding these places and telling as many people about the harm of this very bad thing called MMA .....have a speedy recovery and make sure you do your homework and get an INFORMED tech .

Oh i hope they heal soon for you and yes you cant go wrong with solar oil, if i was you i would take photos and do my best to get some justice for your pain and suffering, solicitors, citizens advice maybe but please dont let it put you off for good there are a lot more reputable salons out there with very high standards:hug:

Oh dear, how awful... I really do sympathise with you.

I really would persevere with the council though, in all honesty - no you aren't being racist in any way, I can understand why you would find it difficult to converse with the staff at the salon.

If you had gone to a salon where you had no trouble with communication e.g your local Toni & Guy or similar, and they had caused you this many health problems... you would go back and complain and even consider legal action, no doubt. Why let this salon get away with it?

This salon should cease making money - without wanting to be a scaremonger, the clients going there could catch all sorts of nasty diseases from the tools used.. especially if bloodshed is a common occurrence! :eek:

Go get this place shut down and take the advice of the more experienced nail technicians on this site!!

NSS salons like this make work harder for hardworking genuine and focused nail technicians.

Sorry to hear of your bad experience and trust me we as technicians are as frustrated as you with the lack of information being freely given to the public. I've even tried approchig my local press, but they just aren't interested. I'm also appalled at the attitude of your EHO. Anyway I have a few helpful pointers for you that I've copied from a post I made a while back ...

if a client has a bad experience with a technician resulting in the substantial damage to her natural nails and skin, they will be covered under the following acts:

SALE OF GOOD ACT 1979 (Amended); Sale and Supply of goods act 1994
Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982
This Act deals with rights for the consumer and the trader's obligations towards the consumer.

The "services" part of the act requires the supplier of the service (such as nail tech, beauty therapist) to:
*charge a reasonable price
*give the service within a reasonable time
*give the service with reasonable care and skill

If a client believes that he or she has a case against you, he or she can complain and may contact the local Trading Standards office.

Or if you have a client that has been to a salon that offers gel at an inflated price and it turns out it's not gel, but l&P then this comes under the Trades Description Act 1968
* supply information that is in any way misleading
* falsely describe or make false statements about either a product or a service on offer

You see we do have the law on our side, it's just knowing it's there!

The trouble is people don't complain and then nothing is done. Go back to your EHO and insist they take notice of you and show them the damage on your nails. You could also try making an insurance claim against the salon if they have insurance.

Good luck in your quest, in the meantime invest in a bottle of solar oil and rub it in liberally to the whole area several times a day. I would suggst keep photographic evidence too.

My God hun!!! I hope you heal quickly...I will have to save this and use it as a case study of what can happen when you go to one of these quickie nail shops. It is horrible what these people do!!! I agree with everyone else...pictures are worth a thousand words, I wish you had the presence of mind to take some pics b4 you went to the doctor, although I'm not sure my mind would have been as clear in this situation...Did the Dr. happen to take any photos?? You should hurry up and contact an attorney, they need to pay through the nose for the damage that they have caused and be shut down...not allowed to obtain insurance, building permits...nothing!! I would even let these people be allowed to turn on a light switch after all this!!! :irked: :evil: :irked: :evil: :irked:

Please keep us all informed of your healing as well as your progress if you decide to pursue this matter in the court system...which you should!!! :hug: :hug: :hug:

i can speak for western australia in regards to warnings about these salons..we have had a large piece in the sunday times (our most read paper) listing the dangers of mma and what consumers need to look out for. ALL of my clients plus other reputable salons clients are aware of the dangers of mma.
you really need to get your doctor and/or yourself to contact your local health department and fair trading office to ensure your complaints are registered with all the others..look at the possibility of launching a law suit..if more of the public did this then we could wipe out the nss plague..wouldnt this make them ditch their mma and start sanitising/distenfecting,quick smart..then watch their prices go right up..you get exactly what you pay for in this world.
your nail damage will grow out over the next 6 months..i would be inclined to stick with natural nail manicures until they're healthy again..unless you find a reputable salon first off..you cant always tell a nss salon just by nationality..and they dont always use mma either..i have a local tech up the road who fits into the nss category also:irked:

Thank you so much for sharing your story with us.

I would also agree that you should persevere with your local council.....Environmental Health team, Health & Safety team and Trading Standards.....even your local MP.

I totally agree with you about information for the nail wearing public about the hazards of using NSS salons.....TV programmes, beauty editors and the like should take interest, but unfortunately, only the bad press gets an airing and then we all get tarred with the same brush.

There was an article recently in a trade magazine where numerous beauty editors were asked why they didn't give nail enhancements more column inches and many of the replies were that they had never had a good experience in a a nail salon or that they percieved nail enhancements as 'falsies', 'chavvy' or 'footbalers wives-esque', which doesn't have to be the case.....professional nail technicians strive to make nail enhancements as natural looking as possible......unless of course the client insists on something different! They also said they were more interested in natural nail care.

Obviously, as you know yourself, not everyone is born with beautiful nails which is exactly why the nail industry was itself born.

Maybe you should contact GMTV (does Lorraine Kelly still have a slot on there?) or This Morning and tell them your story as it WILL ring true to thousands of women out there......then maybe coupled with a professional tech some truths can be told and the hazards of the NSS be publicly exposed.

I really do hope that you nails will be OK, it will take some months for all the damage to grow out and from your description of your surrounding sking blistering and peeling, you may have become sensitive to products, so enhancements may not be an option in the future if this is the case.

Hopefully there is a Geek in your area who can take a good look at your nails and advise the best course of action for you as it is very difficult to say what would be best for you without having seen what's going on with your nails.

Good luck and I do hope you haven't been put off for life, there are some gooduns out there xxx :hug:

Just something else I thought of, take some pictures of your nails for evidence!

That's bad news to hear but me too i'm alergic to some nail product, they all chemicals. Take some good care of your nails, hope it will cover.

You sound very distressed! Thats awful! have u heard of OPI? they have a product called nail envy and have a very high reputation but are a bit more pricey than most products. However, you will need to leave your nails to recover for a few weeks before using it, sounds like u will need origional nail envy to start with and after half the bottle is used may need to go onto soft and thin. we retail them in our salon at £16.40 but am sure u can get it cheeper else where. avoplex cuticle oil is great too - massage a drop in each nail 2 or more times daily, night time is a good time as allows product to penetrate deeper as ur not washing it off all day! Hop this helps hun. :hug:

That story is terrible. I would ring the council again, even the local press. I do hope you get somewhere with it and I maybe try to claim comp etc for all the pain you suffered.
Hope your nails are completely back to normal as soon as poss hun xx:hug:

[.

Sorry to hear your terrible experience. From your description it sound like you have also had an allergic reaction to the product. If this is the case you need to be careful that the same product is never re-appled. If you decide to give extensions another try sometime in the future, ask your tech to test the product on your skin first (or on one nail only) and leave it for 24hrs before proceeding with a full set. Just in case!

That's bad news to hear but me too i'm alergic to some nail product, they all chemicals. Take some good care of your nails, hope it will cover.

You sound very distressed! Thats awful! have u heard of OPI? they have a product called nail envy and have a very high reputation but are a bit more pricey than most products. However, you will need to leave your nails to recover for a few weeks before using it, sounds like u will need origional nail envy to start with and after half the bottle is used may need to go onto soft and thin. we retail them in our salon at £16.40 but am sure u can get it cheeper else where. avoplex cuticle oil is great too - massage a drop in each nail 2 or more times daily, night time is a good time as allows product to penetrate deeper as ur not washing it off all day! Hop this helps hun. :hug:

Sorry to hear your terrible experience. From your description it sound like you have also had an allergic reaction to the product. If this is the case you need to be careful that the same product is never re-appled. If you decide to give extensions another try sometime in the future, ask your tech to test the product on your skin first (or on one nail only) and leave it for 24hrs before proceeding with a full set. Just in case!
See that's the thing, it's not like they were using a reputable product, they were using MMA and they were not sanitizing their implements after each client...that's the main thing, there is no telling how long these tools go between washing and sanitation, if ever! So the problem is not the allergy the problem is the hygenic practices (or lack thereof) that has made this woman suffer...:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

i would have stood outside morning till night showing customers what they haddone to me
thats disgusting hun
hope it all goes well

Thanks everyone for your kind comments and advice, 2 weeks after contacting my local EHO she still hasn't phoned me back with any feedback! I'd like to go to my local MP next and get something done about these NSS's, but first I need to get my facts straight.

Are there absolutely no regulations or guidelines in place for the nail industry in the UK? I want to know why MMA is banned in the USA but not here, why there are no warnings against the use of electric drills, and why these salons are allowed to run with a total lack of hygiene practice. I'd appreciate any info anyone can give me, as I want to be fully clued up before I start ranting to my local government! I'm even considering going to a programme like Watchdog about these NSS's and the dangers they pose to the public.

Thanks everyone :)

Watchdog did do a story a while back. BUT as usual all they was sensationalise their story and all it did was scaremonger people to now havng their nails done at all. At the end of the day you should feel no pain at all when having your nails done. But they tried to generalise by saying tha people using Efiles, wearing masks doing a set in an hour at a cheap rate should be avoided. It actually did more harm than good in the end.

Habia have got some draft proposals for the industry to self regulate itself. But TBH right now there are no regulations apart from in a few London Boroughs where techs need a licence and have to have an NVQ qualification. Other than that a one legged blind dog could be a nail tech!!!!!!

I'm so sorry you've had to go through this - its awful. I agree with the TV suggestions. This Morning would be good as I would imagine its a mostly female populations they're aimed at. If they could get a Super tech eg. Gigi, on with you, even better. As has been said, its not enhancements themselves that are the problem, but unscrupulous techs who aren't obviously passionate about their clients or industry.

Good luck with the healing - solar oil's would be fantastic for this.:hug:

Latest posts

Back