barbicide

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuschia

Reaction score
hi I have some barbicide and want to sterilise some nail scissors and tweezors. I don't have the special barbcide jar so will use a normal glass. can anyone advise on qty of barbicide to water I should use.

Thanks in advance :lol:

Hi,I
Iv just done the maths for you.
It works out as 0.6mls per 100mls of water.
Hope this helps.
Anna

I have the manicure jar and the measure is already put on for you, but to give you an approximate measure try

1 cap of Barbicide to half a mug of water

Mine is a fairly strong colour too.
If in doubt, used 2 capfulls & that will deffo be enough assuming you use normal size mugs!

Don't forget to wash the implements first in hot soapy water.

do you have to wear gloves when handling barbicide. thanks for the info! really helpful:lol:

Isn't this info on the back of the container ? It should be IMO

I just want to mention that barbecide won't actually sterilise your tools, it will sanitise them. For proper sterlisation they need to go in an autoclave.

HTH
xx:hug:xx

Hi,
All information regarding barbicide should be written clearly on the bottle.
Anna

The attached link (which although a bit technical) will tell you all you need to know about Barbicide:

Information on

do you have to wear gloves when handling barbicide. thanks for the info! really helpful:lol:
No you don't have to wear gloves. Barbicide is a strong disenfectant, like anything it's fine on the skin as long as you don't over expose, but if you a meansuring the barbicide out and then topping with water there really isn't any need to be touching it anyway.

I just want to mention that barbecide won't actually sterilise your tools, it will sanitise them. For proper sterlisation they need to go in an autoclave.

HTH
xx:hug:xx

Hi, There are 2 methods of sterilization a) Autoclave b) Chemical and sterilizing agents.
If anybody would like to know about chemical sterilizing agents please contact me il be happy to give in foemation on this method of sterilization.
Anna xx

Hi, There are 2 methods of sterilization a) Autoclave b) Chemical and sterilizing agents.
If anybody would like to know about chemical sterilizing agents please contact me il be happy to give in foemation on this method of sterilization.
Anna xx

Sorry to be picky Anna, but that's not strictly true, as there are also methods of dry heat sterilisation, gas sterilisation and even sterilisation by irradiation (although admittedly these aren't all suitable for use in a salon environment!!) :hug:

Also, the only chemical sterilising agents I'm aware of (primarily aldehydes) are highly toxic and irritating to the skin, eyes and airways. I wouldn't have thought they'd be suitable for a modern salon environment. But I'm always interested to hear about new developments!

Andy x

Hi,
Heres the information i have on sterilization in brief.

Method:
Autoclave
Advantage:
N/A
Disadvantade:
Equipment only sterile until it comes into contact with air or other items. Must go into sterilizing cabinet until use.

Method ( Aldehydes ):
Formaldehydes.
Advantages:
Useful for storing tools overnight.
Disadvantages:
Fumes toxic to manicurist.

Method ( Aldehydes ):
Glutaraldehydes.
Advantages:
Product will kill all micro-organisms and the HIV and HBV virus in 10 minutes.
Disadvantages:
Strict precautions taken. Must never come in to contact with skin. Equipment must be thoroughly rinsed after soaking. Unpleasant fumes. Can strip plating off tools.

Method ( Halogens ):
Chlorine, Iodine, Bleach.
Advantages:
No fumes and Chlorine and Iodine are not corrosive.
Disadvantages:
Bleach is corrosive. Iodine will discolour fabrics.

Method:
Ultraviolet Sterilizing Cabinet.
Advantage:
Useful for storing autoclaved sterile implements until they are to be used on a client.
Disadvantages:
Do not sterilize sufficiently to be sole method in salon. Sterilize only the surfaces bathed in ultraviolet light. Care must be taken to replace bulb regularly as time used reduces effectiveness.

Method:
Heat Sterilizing Cabinet.
Advantage:
N/A
Disadvantage:
Repeated use of the high temperatures affects the hardness of the metal implements causing them to lose their sharp edges. not suitable for salon use.

Method:
Glass Bead Sterilizers.
Advantages:
Useful to electrologists.
Disadvantages:
Implements sterilized only when actually in contact with glass beads and, therefore, irregular objects e.g. clippers cannot be considered to be properly sterilized. Loss of hardness due to high temperatures.

Hope this information helps some people.:green:
Many Thanks
Anna xx

What is “Barbicide”?

·“Barbicide” is a clear, blue, low level disinfectant solution used by most hair salons to disinfect items such as combs.
·“Barbicide” is a Quaternary Ammonium (QA) compound. QA compounds are classified a low-level disinfectant solutions.
·Few QA compounds, in higher concentrations, can be used as an intermediate level disinfectant. “Barbicide” is a low-level disinfectant solution, and can only disinfect pre-cleaned non-critical items.
·Health Canada lists QA compounds as low-level disinfectant solutions for objects such as surfaces. These solutions are not to disinfect instruments.

For What Items is “Barbicide” Applicable?

·“Barbicide” can disinfect pre-cleaned non-critical items (items that do not penetrate intact skin or contact blood or body fluids) such as surfaces, combs, brushes, rollers, chairs, and scissors and clippers that have not nipped the flesh.
·If a non-critical item nips the flesh (scissors, clippers, etc.), it must be cleaned and disinfected as a semi-critical items, before being re-used.
·A razor for “razoring” or “feathering” hair (not shaving skin) is a non-critical item, and can be cleaned and disinfected with a low-level disinfectant solution. The razor must be equipped with a proper guard in place to prevent cutting skin.

For What Items is “Barbicide” NOT Applicable?

·“Barbicide”, or any other disinfectant solution, cannot be used to disinfect critical items (items which penetrate skin, or handle sterile items, etc.). These items must be cleaned and sterilized, with an autoclave or dry heat sterilizer, between uses; or be supplied in sterile packaging, and be a single-use disposable item. Critical items may include needles, blades, earrings, opening and closing pliers used for body piercing jewellery, etc.
·“Barbicide” cannot be used for any part of a shaving razor or blade that contacts the skin (critical items such as blades for shaving are single-use items which must be disposed of in a sharps container immediately after use). The handle and cradle, which holds the blade, must be cleaned and disinfected as a semi-critical items between uses. Old-styled straight razors (all one piece, so the blade is re-useable, and not disposable) must be sterilized in an autoclave or dry heat sterilizer between uses.
·“Barbicide” cannot disinfect semi-critical items. Semi-critical items may come into contact with blood or body fluids, or accidentally penetrate body surfaces, and are found in establishments offering services such as ear piercing, aesthetics, manicures or pedicures, but also in hair salons that offer these services.
·Semi-critical items used in hair salons or barber shops (which offer no other ear piercing, aesthetic, or nail services, etc.) may include: the handle and cradle of a razor, which is where the blade is inserted, a “crochet hook” for cap highlights (which can scratch the head, and scissors and clippers that have nipped the flesh.
·

An intermediate to high-level disinfectant is required to disinfect semi-critical items. Examples of an intermediate level disinfectant would be a solution of 70% to 90% ethyl or isopropyl alcohol, or a solution is 1 part of bleach and 99 parts water (1% dilution).

Some Common Misuses of “Barbicide”, and other Disinfectant Solutions

·Most personal service workers (PSW) are using their disinfectant solutions improperly, because they are not aware of proper disinfection methods.
·Often the PSW is not cleaning the item prior to disinfection. A dirty item cannot be properly disinfected. Placing a soiled item (comb, etc.) in a container filled with “Barbicide” (or any other disinfectant solution) will not disinfect the item. The more dirty items that are placed in the container of disinfectant, the more contaminated the solution becomes. For this reason, an appropriate disinfection area requires access to a sink with running water (not at a workstation).
·Another problem is not using fresh “Barbicide.” Some operators do not change their disinfectant solutions for days or longer.
·Objects to be disinfected must be fully immersed in the disinfectant solution. An item cannot be disinfected if it is not in full contact with the disinfectant solution.
·Spraying a disinfectant solution onto a contaminated object is not a effective means of disinfecting the item. Spraying and wiping a contaminated object only serves to smear and spread contamination over the surface of the object.
·Contact time is also a concern. Manufacturer’s instructions for proper contact time must be followed. If contact time is too short, disinfection will not be achieved. If an item is left in the disinfectant too long, it weakens the disinfectant solution, and may damage the item.

Also, it is not necessary to sterilize our implements and equipment in a salon environement. Using a hospital grade disinfectant is your best plan... such as viralex T36, or other similar products.

Latest posts

Back