Bathing properly - Sponge/Loofah/Cloth/Scrubbie vs bare hands?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't use bars of soap (I'm an exfoliating mitts with shower gel girl) but I do remember one of these science programmes where they were testing bars of soap for bacteria. Apparently no bacteria can grow on soap (can't remember why). However, they tested washcloths that weren't regulary changed and they had more bugs than the toilet!!!! The warm damp environment is the perfect breeding ground.

So, don't worry about the soap - worry about the washcloth, scrunchie etc that gets re-used ....... :eek: I have clean mitts EVERY DAY!

Ok, some of you are missing the 'question' :hug:

Whether or not it's soap or shower gel..

What will get you cleaner?

A FRESH AND CLEAN washcloth/sponge/scrunchie OR your bare hand???

(yes, a dry, just out of the linen closet CLEAN cloth etc.. not a soggy yukka stinky thing that was balled up in the corner of the tub... eewwwwwwwwww)

More food for thought: whenever we have babies, the books and doctors tell us to use a soft cloth to wash them with. So if babies need a cloth to come clean (or pouf/scrunchie/sponge whatever) then why don't we, as adults WHO to my mind are dirtier because we're sweaty etc....

For those that figure pots/dishes are dirtier than we are, ok.
How about your average kitchen counter, no sticky stuff spilled, but maybe there's dust or whatever. Why not just use a bare hand instead of a cloth or sponge?

OR they say shampoo and hair products etc leave 'build up' on our hair/scalps and so we need a BRUSH to remove the debris from our scalp and from the shafts (as well as changing shampoos now and then) so why not a 'brush' (in this case let's say a cloth) on our torsos?

Ahhh here's one:
Makeup removal.
Can you REALLY get off all of that mascara and eyeliner etc WITHOUT using anything but your fingers? I mean ALL of it? Wouldn't cosmetic wipes/cloths whatever be needed to give that extra 'oomph' to get the rest?

Summer months: ever walk about in sandals and look at your feet... do you get them clean with a cloth or just your bare hands?

Have you ever pet a dirty dog in sore need of a good brushing and a BATH... and your hands come away scummy and you can rub your palm and ROLL the dirt off?

.......... think about it LOL

Just to be argumentative.......SHOULD our skin be super clean? Maybe we are stripping it too much!
( Do think faces, with make-up, need more than fingers.)

Bare hands or a fresh clean wash cloth...

I use fingertips and facial cleanser for my face and dove soap bar and a wash cloth for my body... Yes desquamation happens naturally but I like to give it a helping hand and don't want to scrub my skin raw so find a feel fresh and clean with a good lather and wash cloth over my whole bod. I do share the soap bar with my fiancé but I have seen him shower and he does the same as me... Lathers the soap up in our hands before putting it onto his body, if I ever saw him putting it near his nether regions I would freak out!!!

I also "wash" the soap before and after using it, don't know why just habit I also hate if it dries with bubbles on it again don't ask why I don't know myself!!!

I don't think bare hands alone is enough yes you wash your body but I don't think it would remove any build up of sweat, desquamated skin cells, dirt etc effectively.

Alongside my normal daily routine I like to exfoliate my body twice a week, this I do with a product and glove and also exfoliate my face once a week. I also can't help myself but use a nail brush EVERY TIME I wash my hands I am a mum and that means doing lots of 'dirty' jobs and I can't stand the thought of grubby fingernails.

Someone on my partners side of the family showers very quickly IMHO too quickly how on earth does she have time to wash her whole body and hair and be TRULY clean??? I take my time I want to be clean.

Apologies in advance if I don't get the question.... sleep deprivation is making me a lil foggy hee hee. I always use a scrunchie when washing my body. I tend to do this because I don't like flannels as I never seem to get a good lather on them to scrub my body clean. I also feel flannels are a little unhygeinic I dont know why because whenever I use a flannel i do wash them after each use.... aha! maybe thats the reason too much washing lol! Which I guess then should mean my scrunchie is unhygenic because I only wash this maybe once a week... sorry I'm having a little arguement with myself here!! In my defence I do wash my scrunchie out and with the little meshy holes I feel like nothing lingers like it would with flannel.... oh god am I sounding a bit skanky I wonder!!
I think also when I wash with a flannel I never come up smelling clean and feeling fresh the same way I do with a scrunchie. I can create a better lather with a scrunchie and again find it easier to wash out after use. So personally for me I feel cleanliness is better using a scrunchie.... tho reading this back Im beginning to wonder lol!
Facially I use a make up remover on my face and wash with face wash using my finger tips. I certainly don't want to be using a scrunchie wow can you imagine the scratchiness and for me the scrunchie freshly washed or already used has been used on my whole body including the lady garden and i cant bring myself to then put that near my face. Tho this will make you laugh :eek: my nan taught me to use old pants for dusting.... and I do!!!:eek: Yes OH is rather of the same school of thought:eek:. I might add they have been washed.
Well reading back I look like I am a barrage of contradictions so on this question I will bow out now and say I havent a bloomin clue. :lol:

I'm not sure what my other half does in the shower as we have separate bathrooms however said room does only contain pears/coal tar soap (smells like my dad) and the cheapest shampoo he can get (makes no difference apparently).
On the other hand my bathroom looks like Boots (as I'm sure many therapist's does) in fact 5 dedicated product shelves (I think I have a problem!)

Anti bac pump dispenser for washing hands.
Many different sensitive body washes /scrubs for use with scrunchie - regularly binned and replaced (come on they're like 25p)
Olatum for bath time.
5 x dermalogica products for face (not including masques & eyes) used with facial sponges that are chucked weekly.
I think that's all...

We both shower every morning and shower or bathe again at night if we've been to the gym or if it's a no pyjama night :)

Gx

I've just counted and have 45 bottles of products in my bathroom (not inc dental) and I've just noticed...eeek... a smelly bar of coal tar soap... HE must have used MY bath!!! Divorce

I've just counted and have 45 bottles of products in my bathroom (not inc dental) and I've just noticed...eeek... a smelly bar of coal tar soap... HE must have used MY bath!!! Divorce

Just make sure you don't get custody of the soap.....

I would rather pull my teeth out one by one with a pair of rusty pliars than sit in a bath with my other half!

I would rather pull my teeth out one by one with a pair of rusty pliars than sit in a bath with my other half!

Why would any one sit in the bath with their other half?? Where did you get that from?

I use a scrunchie thing with shower gel.
Nail brush for nails
I never use soap as my skin gets quite dry and I was told soap will mkae it worse
I use an Olay wipe on my face
I change my shower gel/shampoo/conditioner every time I go shopping (depends what good offers are on ;) and always check if they're form my skin/hair type)
The kids use whatever is in reach and have their own shampoo (never my stuff as it's out of reach lol)
Other half uses soap (can't remember the brand but it's green and smells so old fashioned!) He uses any shampoo within reach (including mine :mad:)

In the kitchen I have a scrubby sponge for the dishes, a separate softer pad for the worktops, I use antibacterial spray on food prep areas and bleach everywhere else

I have separate cloths for bathrooms (actually, 2 different ones in each, one for the sinks and one for the toilets).

I have yet more products and mops for floors

Oh and then there's the shower screen spray (coz I hate trying to clean that so just use the spray and leave it and it's fab!)

There are two things that drive me absolutely nuts:
1) Someone having a shower and not cleaning it after them - my oldest son was the worst - I hate to think what he did in there but the amount of hair he shed was disgusting and he never ever washed them away!)
2) Toilet brushes - I cannot stand them!! I watched something once and felt very ill at the amount of bacteria they collected (probably watched Aggie and Kim on How Clean is my House lol), and for several years now I have refused to have them. The other half insists on replacing them when I sneak them into the bin :mad: and just doesn't understand my hatred of them lol. He dared use my fancy 'display only' toilet brush (which matched everything else in the bathroom at the time) and I went beserk!! Needless to say, it and the other matching items got binned! Give me rubber gloves, bleach and a disposable cloth any day! I think I may have a touch of OCD or something where toilet brushes are concerned :lol:

a lot of people have a bath with their husbands or boyfriends ! I was just saying that i would rather pull my teeth out . lol:)

Why would any one sit in the bath with their other half?? Where did you get that from?

In my experience a shared bath isn't for the purpose of getting clean. :wink2:

Sooooooo shall I presume that the general consensus is that to get thoroughly clean, there MUST be some regular exfoliation by one way or another?
Via clean cloth/sponge/pouf?

LOL

Sooooooo shall I presume that the general consensus is that to get thoroughly clean, there MUST be some regular exfoliation by one way or another?
Via clean cloth/sponge/pouf?

LOL
I suppose so, but only if that cloth/sponge/puff is washed in a hot wash every time it is used, and the bar of soap isn't shared.

I suppose so, but only if that cloth/sponge/puff is washed in a hot wash every time it is used, and the bar of soap isn't shared.

YES, washed :green:
As for soap being shared.. if it's used only on clean cloths.. shouldn't be an issue since it doesn't travel to where the sun doesn't shine hehehehe

Latest posts

Back