Bedtime Ritual...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hes a bloomin nightmare! I text my OH all night like,'up again'.

Any tips on how to get a baby to sleep through would be much appreciated, i think iv tried everything though! Maybe im been too careful, maybe a few shots of whiskey in his bottle before bed and hel be away with the fairies lol xx

Sent from my X10i
Well, you're going to hate me, by my babe has been sleeping 10-13 hour nights since he was 4 weeks old!!
Most things he was slow at, so I know it's frustrating reading how someone else's child is doing something yours isn't, but they are all different.
To get babe to bed I stick vigorously to his routine, and have since he was tiny.
He has a bath with Johnsons Bedtime bath, he then has his teeth brushed, moisturised with Johnsons Bedtime Cream (I put a little under his nose as the vapours aid sleep.) and put into fluffy pjs and into a sleep bag as he kicks blankets off. I then get some warm milk ready and sit watching something quiet on TV with the lights dimmed and give him his milk. He's then pretty much fast asleep. If he does wake up in the night it is usually only for a minute and then he falls back asleep again. I've also put bears lining his cotbed to act as bumpers for him in the night.
All evening once he's in bed we keep the TV down and the lights off outside his room.
This has worked for us the whole time and he is now 16 months.
I think the key is the bath and keeping noise to a minimum.

I check the doors and windows are locked, check on my daughters and tuck them in, then brush my teeth, night cream, brush my hair and apply a little moroccan oil, hop into bed, apply solar oil to my nails and then handcream, and then check the forums here before reading a few chapters of one of my favourite books from 'The Twilight Saga'. 25, married, and a mum of 3 yet im completely obsessed with Twilight lol!! X

Sent from my E15i using SalonGeek

Well, you're going to hate me, by my babe has been sleeping 10-13 hour nights since he was 4 weeks old!!
Most things he was slow at, so I know it's frustrating reading how someone else's child is doing something yours isn't, but they are all different.
To get babe to bed I stick vigorously to his routine, and have since he was tiny.
He has a bath with Johnsons Bedtime bath, he then has his teeth brushed, moisturised with Johnsons Bedtime Cream (I put a little under his nose as the vapours aid sleep.) and put into fluffy pjs and into a sleep bag as he kicks blankets off. I then get some warm milk ready and sit watching something quiet on TV with the lights dimmed and give him his milk. He's then pretty much fast asleep. If he does wake up in the night it is usually only for a minute and then he falls back asleep again. I've also put bears lining his cotbed to act as bumpers for him in the night.
All evening once he's in bed we keep the TV down and the lights off outside his room.

Yes i do hate you haha!! Just kidding, yes im also a stickler for routine.

Tobys routine.
6- Bathtime (can only use infaderm as he has eczma).
6.20- Pjs on in the bedroom with only the lamp and kids bedtime hour telly on. (also put him some cream on for his eczma). He also sleeps in a really soft fleece type sleeping bag as he wont have any covers on his legs lol.
6.50- Lamp and telly off and turn nightlight on, Kiss and hug and 'love you mr'.
7- Lay him in his cot with his snuggle blanket and bottle of warm milk. He sleeps on my soft dressing gown because he always settled on my chest with my dressing gown on when he was a newborn.

I dont know what more i can do to be honest my partner works nights so only me in on a night so no noise either, hes never slept out so as to not knock him out of his routine and i never let him sleep after 1 in the afternoon. My sisters daughter sleeps through and she doesnt really have any routine so maybe it is just different for every baby? thanks for the advice though hun x

Last edited:
I have a snoop on sg take the dog in garden for wee then put him in his crate then I go for a wee fiance jumps out on me and scares me then brush teeth wash me face armpits and the old girl ( that's me down belows lol).Then I go check me gal she has always slept through.Then i get in bed pit the tv on me and sometimes me and my fiance do what grown ups do lmao then he starts snoring I tell him to shut the hell up I stay up till around 2-3 in the morn then fall asleep.xx

Hmm maybe line the cot with bears? That way if he squirms in his sleep he won't wake himself up banging his head. Or does the dressing gown snuggle him in?
Funny that about the dressing gown, I have to wear mine to get him to sleep, even when I'm really hot! And his head gets really sweaty when he falls asleep so I end up with a wet patch from his head! Lol.
You sound like you are doing everything right though. I suppose they are individuals like all of us, some of us sleep like the dead and some of us get by on a couple of hours worth or struggle to sleep.
Lavender is meant to aid sleep, there is some in my Johnsons as well as other smells. I'm not sure if using some kind of diffuser in his room with calming, sleepy smells would help?
I suppose anythings worth a try!! It's probably just the way he is though.

Forgot to mention, my son is constantly into everything and doesn't sit still for more than a couple of minutes, other than to eat, and he doesn't sleep in the day very often. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I'm nursing a hangover and haven't even slept, just put empty glass in sink and BANG! Headache.

Getting too old for this...

Listening to MWilliams snore right now but he's so lovely and warm. Damn cold tonight.

Night girls xxx

Im still doing my nighttime ritual, trying to settle a 1 year old!

Every night at 7 i put him down,he usually goes straight down, then i go to bed about 11 only to be woken between 12-1 to a screaming little one who wont settle.

My partner works nights so im pulling my hair out with no sleep! So to those of you who say 'i cant sleep', i should be so bloody lucky haha oj xx

Sent from my X10i

snap........ my husband is working away for 3-4 months so coping the next day and working aswell is nooooot nice!!! i struggle to sleep before midnight myself, tried everything :(

my little one has been a great sleeper up til 2 weeks ago, maybe shes upset her daddys away..... slept 12hrs every night since 3 months up til now?! shes 15 months x

I didn't sleep again last nite. Where would I be without SG lol think I've read every post from last year!!!

Hmm maybe line the cot with bears? That way if he squirms in his sleep he won't wake himself up banging his head. Or does the dressing gown snuggle him in?
Funny that about the dressing gown, I have to wear mine to get him to sleep, even when I'm really hot! And his head gets really sweaty when he falls asleep so I end up with a wet patch from his head! Lol.
You sound like you are doing everything right though. I suppose they are individuals like all of us, some of us sleep like the dead and some of us get by on a couple of hours worth or struggle to sleep.
Lavender is meant to aid sleep, there is some in my Johnsons as well as other smells. I'm not sure if using some kind of diffuser in his room with calming, sleepy smells would help?
I suppose anythings worth a try!! It's probably just the way he is though.

Yeh my dressing gown snuggles him but i did try like the soothing winnie the pooh type thing that has a night light and plays melody and also the winnie projecter but neither worked,he does have his steiff bear in cot with him to cushion him in.
Im going to town today to get some lavender, thanks for that tip.

I take my little one swimming 3 afternoons and to a soft play area 3 afternoons n only let him have an hour nap before 1pm.

Thanks for replying again lol and fingers crossed the lavender will help. Everythings worth a try xx
Sent from my X10i

I am such a creature of habit and do the same ritual every night:

• Turn on the bedroom light and fan - put mobile on bedside table and set alarm.
  • Check I've locked the doors and windows.
  • Turn off TV, laptop, fish tank light, lounge room light.
  • Have a shower, take my supplements, face serum.
  • Organise the dogs - they sleep on my bedroom floor so check they're ok and say goodnight.
  • Get into bed and read til I fall asleep - occassionaly I'll do 1 last check of fb.

Yeh my dressing gown snuggles him but i did try like the soothing winnie the pooh type thing that has a night light and plays melody and also the winnie projecter but neither worked,he does have his steiff bear in cot with him to cushion him in.
Im going to town today to get some lavender, thanks for that tip.

I take my little one swimming 3 afternoons and to a soft play area 3 afternoons n only let him have an hour nap before 1pm.

Thanks for replying again lol and fingers crossed the lavender will help. Everythings worth a try xx
Sent from my X10i
Good luck! You're doing everything right. :)

my little one has been a great sleeper up til 2 weeks ago, maybe shes upset her daddys away..... slept 12hrs every night since 3 months up til now?! shes 15 months x

Is she teething? Mines just had a load of teeth come through (one front and about 6 molars) and he's been a nightmare!! He's been sleeping but the days are a nightmare, despite Calpol, teething powders and ice lollies!!

I know this is an old thread so sorry if your not meant to bring back old threads(if that makes sense), neway i need some much needed help please!

I know i said before that my son (toby 16 months) wasnt sleeping very well, but things have gone from bad to worse!! My hairs going to drop out at this rate!

Basically he used to go down fine, but all of a sudden hes started paddying when i put him in his cot and its going on for like 2 hours every night, iv only just settled him and its nearly 10pm!!

Apart from wanting some me time on a night i also need to work so any hint and tips would be much appreciated, thanks xx

Sent from my X10i

I know this is an old thread so sorry if your not meant to bring back old threads(if that makes sense), neway i need some much needed help please!

I know i said before that my son (toby 16 months) wasnt sleeping very well, but things have gone from bad to worse!! My hairs going to drop out at this rate!

Basically he used to go down fine, but all of a sudden hes started paddying when i put him in his cot and its going on for like 2 hours every night, iv only just settled him and its nearly 10pm!!

Apart from wanting some me time on a night i also need to work so any hint and tips would be much appreciated, thanks xx

Sent from my X10i

Ah my Anthony did that around the same age.

As harsh as it sounds, you gotta stand your ground.

Anthony has always had lullabies, then he's got my tape player for old cassettes with nursery rhymes and stories on then he's got my old portable tv so he can watch his films.

I kept to the same routine since birth.

6pm bath, dressed, milk, dummy & bed by 7pm

I put songs, story or a DVD (his choice) and check in on him sort of every 30 mins.

If he's asleep, I switch everything off

If he's awake and sometimes found in the middle of the room rolling about lol, I tell him it's bedtime, he's not to mess about and switch everything off.

Sometimes he goes into one but I shout by that point and say if you're not asleep next time I come up, I'll take your "fave thing" out your room and throw it in the bin.

That usually works.

Iv always done same routine aswel, he doesnt have a dummy and i took his bottle off him last week because hes too old for it now. I was thinking maybe thats whats up with him but he was fine with it the first few nights.

Il just have to stick at what im doing and see how i go, im also guna go buy him a glow projecter and see if that helps.

Its really getting me down and putting a strain on mine and adams relationship because im stressed out and tired every night.

Fingers crossed something changes soon and thanks for replying xx

Sent from my X10i

Iv always done same routine aswel, he doesnt have a dummy and i took his bottle off him last week because hes too old for it now. I was thinking maybe thats whats up with him but he was fine with it the first few nights.

Il just have to stick at what im doing and see how i go, im also guna go buy him a glow projecter and see if that helps.

Its really getting me down and putting a strain on mine and adams relationship because im stressed out and tired every night.

Fingers crossed something changes soon and thanks for replying xx

Sent from my X10i

I took Ant off night bottles on Christmas Eve, a month before his 3rd birthday.

He helped me put the bottles and tears in a stocking for Santa to take...

The next morning he found some sweeties.

Lol x

See at 3 id probably find this alot easier because i could go in and shout at him and id know he understands wheras at 16 months hes going through the baby to toddler stage so im finding it hard to leave him to cry.

N wow if id left toby on bottles until 3 my health visitor would of been spitting feathers, she through a paddy when he wasnt off them at 13 months lol interfering mares they are!x

Sent from my X10i

See at 3 id probably find this alot easier because i could go in and shout at him and id know he understands wheras at 16 months hes going through the baby to toddler stage so im finding it hard to leave him to cry.

N wow if id left toby on bottles until 3 my health visitor would of been spitting feathers, she through a paddy when he wasnt off them at 13 months lol interfering mares they are!x

Sent from my X10i

I have seen a Health Visitor once!

No interest in them or what they have to say!

Any advice I go to my mum, after all she had 4 of us and we are all here to tell the tale so she can't have done that bad a job.

I left Ant to cry a few times after 1 yr old after 3 nights, he soon realised mummy and daddy weren't going in to see him.

I guess I've been quite lucky... Now trying to get him to poo on the pot and not in his pants is where I'm having a mental breakdown lol

Latest posts

Back