Bedtime Ritual...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See at 3 id probably find this alot easier because i could go in and shout at him and id know he understands wheras at 16 months hes going through the baby to toddler stage so im finding it hard to leave him to cry.

N wow if id left toby on bottles until 3 my health visitor would of been spitting feathers, she through a paddy when he wasnt off them at 13 months lol interfering mares they are!x

Sent from my X10i

Hi Annie, do what suits you & your baby, not a health visitor, it's none of her business hun.
I've got four kids none of them gave up the last bottle till they were around 3, & before anyone has a moan about it they are 16, 14, 8 & 2 and not one of them has a single filling in their teeth. Lol I know most 2 year olds wouldn't anyway.
He may just not be ready to give it up, if it means you getting no free time & no sleep is it worth the hassle just now? it's not as if it's a bottle of cola you're giving him, don't be so hard on yourself xx

Hiya Annie at 16 months trust me they know exactly whats going on don't be fooled lol just stick with it girl your doing a great job it will get to the point where he will just give up and sleep.

If he gets outa bed put him straight back in it if he's in a cot bed thing if he stands up in it lay him back down and don't talk to him or try to sooth him (any reaction is a good thing for them as he's getting somet from you positive or negative they dint mined lol) if he's crying let him cry it's not going to harm him it will just make him see that your not going to save him from his naughty nasty bed that's trying to make him go to sleep lmao xxx

As for the bottle thing that's your decision huni my gal had a bottle then I changed it to warm weak juice in a beaker that dosnt leak lol and now at 6 she has a cup or waterbottle like a sports bottle of water to take to bed xx

Annie he sounds just like my little lad hyper all day hyper all night I don't know how I coped he was like that from 5 month untill 2 and half tried everything you can think of nothing worked.
My dad always said one day it will just click on he will sleep and you know what one day he did now sleeps like a log,
However still extremely hyper during day but I've just got used to Harley being Harley.
Hang in there it won't last promise z

See at 3 id probably find this alot easier because i could go in and shout at him and id know he understands wheras at 16 months hes going through the baby to toddler stage so im finding it hard to leave him to cry.

N wow if id left toby on bottles until 3 my health visitor would of been spitting feathers, she through a paddy when he wasnt off them at 13 months lol interfering mares they are!x

Sent from my X10i

hi, iv got 3 girlies aged 5-3 & 2, if you have taken Tobys bottle of him dont give up and give him it back, im like you and very strict and bed time, and your right if he was a little older you can explain or shout.

have you tried the controlled crying technique? maybe not a good idea to try when hubby working as you will be driven demented, but after the 1st time youv went back into the room to settle him you dont speak, just a wee stroke on his head to reassure him you are still there. then leave him 5 mins then 10mins and so on, you will go thru a week of sheer hell but will be so worth it..

have you bought the jo frost book (super nanny)

Good luck and keep strong its the hardest thing in the world to hear your baby crying but he needs to learn bed time is sleep time x

my now 15 year old boy used to bring a bottle to bed with him till he was 7. he's a big strapping lad. i think sure if it settles him and it a comfort to him what's the big deal. he used get just a bit of milk in it and then it heated up with hot water. not a full one though or he's wet the bed. once he did a wee before he went to bed he was fine..

I did child psychology in my previous life and the rapid return technique, whilst seemingly laborious, really does work.

Usual bedtime routine - baby in own bed. Say night night or whatever your usual saying would be. Leave the room
Child gets up, return them STRAIGHT to bed and say it's bedtime. Leave the room.
Child gets up, put them back to bed without saying a word. Leave the room.
Keep doing this, in silence, as often as you have to to.

It can take as many as 30 times but I can assure you, it works. Be strong and remember who is in charge.

Last edited:
Sorry iv not been on my phones been playing up, hes not had a bottle for a week now but i dont think thats whats bothering him, its the seperation from me he doesnt like. Iv binned the bottles so no going back lol.

Iv been doing the controlled crying off the supernanny website and after a week its still taking 2 hours a night to settle him, however he woke up at 1am this morn and had settled by 2 so things seem to be improving! I find it easier when adams at work because hes a softy and gives in.

Thanks for all the replies is good to know im on the right track xx

Sent from my X10i using SalonGeek

As for the bottle thing that's your decision huni my gal had a bottle then I changed it to warm weak juice in a beaker that dosnt leak lol and now at 6 she has a cup or waterbottle like a sports bottle of water to take to bed xx

Yeh he still has a sippy cup with milk which is in the shape of a bottle just without the teat, thanks for the replies hun xx

hi, iv got 3 girlies aged 5-3 & 2, if you have taken Tobys bottle of him dont give up and give him it back, im like you and very strict and bed time, and your right if he was a little older you can explain or shout.

have you tried the controlled crying technique? maybe not a good idea to try when hubby working as you will be driven demented, but after the 1st time youv went back into the room to settle him you dont speak, just a wee stroke on his head to reassure him you are still there. then leave him 5 mins then 10mins and so on, you will go thru a week of sheer hell but will be so worth it..

have you bought the jo frost book (super nanny)

Good luck and keep strong its the hardest thing in the world to hear your baby crying but he needs to learn bed time is sleep time x

Iv not bought the book but iv just been taking advice off the website, thanks for the reply and the controlled crying is what iv been trying so fingers crossed it will work soon xx

Annie he sounds just like my little lad hyper all day hyper all night I don't know how I coped he was like that from 5 month untill 2 and half tried everything you can think of nothing worked.
My dad always said one day it will just click on he will sleep and you know what one day he did now sleeps like a log,
However still extremely hyper during day but I've just got used to Harley being Harley.
Hang in there it won't last promise z

Aw thank god there is some hope then haha xx

Well with no kids or major responsibilities my bedtime routines preeetty simple!
Say night to to mum and stepdad, (already showered/bathed) get into jamas, remove false eyelashes, remove makeup, brush teeth and last wee, watch tv in bed while on bbm and Facebook till I fall asleep:)

I know its been a while but i just thought id update everyone...

I started controlled crying about 4 weeks ago and the first night took 3 hours then each night got less and less. By the 5th night id got toby sleeping through 7-7!!

Both me and toby have benefitted from a proper sleep pattern and im finding everything so much easier.

Thanks for all the advice u gave me and id defo recommend controlled crying to anyone, im now going to enjoy a night in front of the telly now tobys asleep! Xx

Aww that's great to hear! Well done x

WELL DONE YOU..

It is the hardest thing in the world to do, but i bet you are so glad you stuck with it..:)

Well done!
There's nothing better than a soundly sleeping babe. :)

Well done x

My little one is flat on his back catching flies, bless...

Good night all xxx

I don't have a huge amount to do before bed either! I always try and do things in order though.

Let the dog out for a wee, tuck her under her blanket & shut the doors to the living room. Give the kitchen worktops a quick wipe over, check things don't look too messy and trudge upstairs. Turn lamp on & close blinds while my man's in the shower, then jump in with him :o
Then we cuddle & talk until we fall asleep in the middle of our sentences :hug:

It's our 1 year anniversary on Wednesday, I've never felt so content! I never used to have a routine but my Jamie is a creature of habit...
xxx

My bedtime ritual is cleanse tone eye cream. Then hand cream and solar oil followed by cocoa butter lip care all whilst watching sex and the city :) completely relaxes me :)

Me and my fella live 100 miles apart so only see him at weekends and I sleep so well when he's there with me but during the week I'm lucky if I get 4 hours :(
But my bedtime ritual is quick fag, get a glass of water, brush teeth and have a wee, take make up off, solar oil, hand cream and lip balm then have a nose on Facebook and SG. Then close my eyes and wait till I eventually drift off. But for the last year or so I have been waking up between 3 and 4am and eat chocolate! I don't know why, have tried keepin all chocolate downstairs but then in my half asleep state I will get up and go downstairs. Always makes me feel sick the following day though so I wish I could stop doing it! Only happens when I'm on my own so thinking it may be a comfort thing? Anyone else got any weird nighttime habits like that?

Latest posts

Back