Best and worst things about the industry!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahpoppy24

Reaction score
Hello geeks!! Hope you are all having a great day! I was just wondering what you think are the best and worst things about the industry? I love the creative aspect and the fact that no day or client is the same, I love the fast movement and the variations knowing that in a years time my job may be completely different, E.G new products, new styles etc. This I know does not apply to every one but I don't like the bitchyness in some salons and the constant slagging off of other peoples and salons work. So guys what do u love or dislike about the industry xxxxx

IMHO, the 'worst' thing is never knowing from one day to the next how much $$$ you'll make. You can have a full book and yet, no one shows up. It's not happened to me but the potential is there.

What I love is doing nails. I LOVE NAILS! :)

I love being skilled at my job, with adoring clients. I love the laughs and camaraderie of salon life. I love being part of the hair industry, in the centre of the universe of hairdressing. I love working alongside people who are talented and creative.
I hate the long hours, and people's preconceptions of hairdressers.

i love the ever developing products and new styles and techniques.

i hate the way prices have been forced down by undercutting competitors.

Talk about Bitchyness in salons, didn't think i'll find it on here! Vicky, your post is really just that!

I'm one of the Nail Technicians (maybe i should'nt call myself that anymore), that did a "crash" course. Why? Because it's the only course being offered here in Africa. If i had the option of doing a 2 year course, i would take it! The only 1,5 year course is distance, i from my understandin, distance is a no no.

Full time job, doing nails for extra cash??? Not really true. I love the beauty industry, but i can't leave my full time job to do nails, because here in Africa that's just not possible.

I fully understand your frustration, but please do not talk badly about "us" "nail techs" that did crash courses because you do not know the reason why...

Please enlighten me as to what i should call myself? As i can't go around saying,:"i'm not a nail technician, i just do nails"... (which i do brilliant, by the way!)

some of these people have a full time jobs and do it as a side line just to earn extra cash, so I think it should be regulated a lot more, dont think the beauty industry is regulated enough!

I'm not sure I understand this 'concern'. I am a licensed nail technician who does nails part time. What's wrong with that? I don't love doing nails any less just because I'm part time, I just can't afford to quit my full time job to do nails at this point in my life.

Hmmmm I think this has gone a tad off topic....:rolleyes:

For me the best things are brightening peoples days up,making them feel better about themselves and recognising their true potential.Seeing the absolute delight on their face when they have had a manicure/pedicure on what they consider to be awful feet/hands...the list goes on:green:

The worst I suppose is bad tempered clients,people who think we lack intellect because we are mere beauty therapists etc,clients who tell me how to do my job or think we only paint nails all day and dont really do any work.Clients who continually dont show but expect me to drop everything in order to do them...

But I do love my job and that's all that matters.

Loves: The products i use, the way the industry allows for constant training, the fact theres always so much to learn, the job isnt same old thing day in day out- differents people, different needs.

Hates: That i dont have a payed job in the industry at the moment (only self employed :cry:)
That every salon advertising a job wants experience :cry:
That i have to do a day job i hate and do the job i love as a sideline for financial stability :cry:
The fact so many people dont realise the amount of time and education that goes into beauty and nails. No its not just gluing a few nails on, yes i do know the anatomy of a nail, yes theres science involved! So many people say "oh my god, you need to know all of that just to do some nails" They dont realise how much learning we do.

I think the industry is undervalued by non-professionals because of their lack of knowledge and i *dislike* that a lot! x

Loves: The products, the choice nowadays, The Clients, The icons, The salon geek lol

Hates: Dirty nails, Shoddy work, People who do DIY Nails.

IMHO, the 'worst' thing is never knowing from one day to the next how much $$$ you'll make. You can have a full book and yet, no one shows up. It's not happened to me but the potential is there.

What I love is doing nails. I LOVE NAILS! :)

one new years eve i had 3 new ladies booked in for nail extensions. not one of them turned up. i lost over £100 that day. i was so gutted. iv never worked a new years eve since or a xmas eve and i take deposits if there new customers at busy times..its the worst thing about the job..TIMEWAISTERS. grrrrrrrrrr

I love being in control of my career and finances, working in a salon environment, making people feel good about themselves and having a platform for my creativity.

I dislike inconsiderate clients and pre-conceived ideas about a hairdressers intelligence.

Donna, why do they think we are a bit thick? I have never worked that one out!
Even at a mensa meet, they behaved as though I was a bit simple! They knew my IQ!!!

Hello geeks!! Hope you are all having a great day! I was just wondering what you think are the best and worst things about the industry? I love the creative aspect and the fact that no day or client is the same, I love the fast movement and the variations knowing that in a years time my job may be completely different, E.G new products, new styles etc. This I know does not apply to every one but I don't like the bitchyness in some salons and the constant slagging off of other peoples and salons work. So guys what do u love or dislike about the industry xxxxx

This is exactly the same as me! I love the daily changing and differant people, hate the way some people in the industry are just plain mean! Lets all just be pleased for each others success!:green:

I love, it when I sit back while they look at the finished nails, the look on their faces puts me on such a high. Suddenly I am a godess :green:
I hate, the fact that in this country no one actually checks that a salon has insurance, qualifications, or that the people who work there are the ones named on any paperwork to do with the business.:irked:
I hate,Tech's forcing th price down for all of us and then going broke themselves.
I love, all the ongoing industry education, no way could I do a collage course, I need to learn things now!!! As fast as I can take the info in, don't hold me back to a collage time table, I'd bite someone:eek:

Years ago I was doing a regular clients,friends nails,the regular client sat there in reception whilst I painted her friends nails,the friend asked me about myself and my family,then went on to ask me what my kids were doing.I told her the two boys were at school and my daughter was at college doing her level 3 beauty therapy and she looked at me and said,"oh that's good,if she's not very academic im sure that would be ideal":irked:I was flaming livid.....stupid...she was,her friend didn't even bat an eyelid,I thought,you both deserve each other.Thankfully I never had the displeasure of seeing her friend again.

Yeh I know what you mean about the idea that people in the industry are thick and stupid and not academic. My mum dear of her was never very happy about it she would of much rather I went to uni but it was not for me. Now I am running my own little mobile business which is realy taking off and you need so many practicle skills and a brain to do this job well also have excellent people skills which I know alot of more academic types have none!!! I think we all need to try to shake off this image and be professional at all times. I also make sure that I am on good behaviour when out incase a client sees me. After all this is my career and I want to further it I need to have a good reputation around the local community. I love this about the Job too that I meet loads of different people from different walks of life very interesting hearing about their jobs and lives etc. Love it sooo much (cant wait for brisa cource monday yeeeeeee!!!) xxxxxx:hug:

Donna, why do they think we are a bit thick? I have never worked that one out!
Even at a mensa meet, they behaved as though I was a bit simple! They knew my IQ!!!

I have no idea! I remember the careers teacher at school saying,
'But Donna, you are a bright girl, why would you want to be a hairdresser?'
(!)
My clients love the fact they can have an intelligent conversation, although I have often had comments about being an intelligent hairdresser. :confused:
As if we would only want to employ idiots(!?)

I think colleges don't help these pre-conceived notions, as my friends daughter was encouraged to take hairdressing as she didn't do well at her G.C.S.Es.

I often feel like wearing a badge that says:
'Yes, I am blonde. Yes, I am a hairdresser. Yes, I can think!'
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Haha I turned up at my school reunion in my merc sport!!
There is no better combination than a quick brain and a skilled trade.

Haha I turned up at my school reunion in my merc sport!!

Ha ha nice one

I hate clients who think they know more about hairdressing than you!

I love working with talented hairdressers to keep you motivated.

Love

Making a person feel good about themselves.
Creating a work of art that someone will actually wear and enjoy.
Don't need a license to practice. Education not red tape.
The opportunity to be mistress of your own destiny in terms of self employment and travel opportunities.

Don't Love

Cut price hairdressing salons - same with NSS, I feel it demeans the industry.
Employers cutting costs at the expense of their employees.
Lack of reasonable turn around times between clientele.
The appalling hourly rate (referring to Australia here).
The perception that beauty therapists, nail technicians and hairdressers are ditzy.

Latest posts

Back