Best Moisturiser can anybody help me

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salsaqueen

Reaction score
Hiya

I'd like some help please.

I desperately need a new moisturiser, have been using Cliniques Dramatically Different moisturiser for a long time approx a year, never had any problems with it. When we did the facial course in my NVQ my teacher told me that clinique is really bad for your skin and that they used it to clean their equipment with when they were at college. So I stopped using it, but cannot find a decent moisturiser anywhere that not only helps my skin condition but is also a great base for makeup. My teacher told me to use Dermalogica, I contacted them and they have told me that I need to book skin mapping with a trained therapist at a salon, obviously being in beauty myself (still learning) I do not really want to pay very high charges for somebody to diagnose what I already know and then to pay high prices for products. So can any body recommend to me what is best for this condition. I have a very congested chin area, and incredibly dry nose area, the rest of my skin is relatively normal, not to dry or oily, generally even textured. I have tried Nivea, Oily of Olay, E45, No 7, Virgin Vie, but they all seem to literally peel off my face after massaging in and then my makeup would simply dry and flake off its awful. Can anybody offer me any advise on a good moisturising lotion, base for makeup for combination skin, any advise from you expert skin geeks would be really appreciated. xx

Im no skin care expert but if Dramaticaly Different worked for you then I would head straight back to the Clinque counter to get some more!

hello

i've read loads on here about clinique being really bad for your skin, i've spent a fortune on loads of skin products over the years be4 trying clinque, but my skin has never been so good afte using it, after reading all the bad stuff about clinique i was think about finding another product but why? i've been really happy with it so why change an spend money on something that might not work? i agree you should go back an get some more clinique, i'm sure there be loads of geeks who will have a different opinon but if it works for you why change :lol:

to be honest i totally agree - i have heard bad stuff about clinique and it doesn't really agree with my skin but my friend loves the stuff.....if a product works then keep using it.....

on another point you said that you have a congested chin area and dry skin on your nose - could this be down to food intolerances wheat/dairy as i am sure digestion problems are supposed to show on the chin??.......i am lactose and dairy intolerant (by which i mean even if i have the lactofree dairy products they still affect me).

When i eat a lot of dairy products i get congestion around my chin area and dry flaky skin around the top of my nose and eyebrow area along with dry/sore itchy patches on my face (cheeks) and all over my body and generally my skin feels dry and sometimes slightly itchy (all over) - i also get other digestive related problems - this may not be relevant to you but just thought i would mention it

hi, i think clinique has a bad name in all colleges, but to be honest, i think its the exfoliant lotion they are talkng about. It is like paint stripper. I think the moisturiser is fine. If you are trying dermalogica, which is great, i would buy the travel kit and you can try it out for a month beforebuying any single product. I would just go in to a shop and gt the kit for your skin type. Think it costs about 2o pounds.

I have congested often oily skin, with clinique i thought i had it control and most of the spots at bay. i was getting dry flaky skin but thought hey its better than greasy spots lol! But i wanted some nicer to use products. It takes a while to find the right ones but i now use a mix of decleor, elemis and skinceuticals. I was initially recommended to use the elemis pro collagen marine cream as a moisturiser as its light and non greasy even though its sold as an anti ageing product. It works like a dream. Everything i use now has totally balanced my skin, and while i still get the odd blemish i can sort it and its gone in a couple of days, as supposed to a crusty gooey lump for a week - gross i know sorry! Plus the things i now use are beautiful to use and smell gorgeous.

If the clinique was working for you then carry on.Many therapists don't like it because its not a professional product although its priced as one.
I dont like it because i think a lot of its ingredients are harsh and synthetic if they were cleaning wax pots with it that was probably the clarifying lotion.
I think for a similar price there are better products that will protect and nourish your skin as you get older.
You also have to remember that this is a professional forum so you are unlikely to get a recommendation for an over the counter product on the skin geek section anymore than anyone will recommend you to purchase rimmel nail varnish in the nail section.

Last edited:
I am a bit confused by this thread. If Clinique works well for you - why stop using it? To be honest you could probably clean loads of things with cleansers/products as that is what they do. If you know about skin then you will know that a therapist has to give you a consultation in order to recommend the correct products.:hug: A therapist cannot help you really without a consultation and that is the same on here. I suggest you go for a proper consultation and get the advice you seek.

If it works for you and you are happy then why change? I use Roc , have done for 20 years. i would never consider swapping as it works for me. I think you are a good judge of your own skin. so stay with what you feel comfortable and if your skin is healthy and happy then that is usually a good indication that all is well.

tigi

Hey Salsa!

If you want to try dermalogica, the Active Moist might be just what you're looking for. It's an oil-free, light hydrating lotion. They have one for acneic skin, but I think it would be too harsh for you. Also, if you are breaking out on your chin, are you dehydrated? I've noticed that as I addressed my hydration levels in my skin, the little chin bumps have all but disappeared. So many times we see a bump and think "oil", but often a dehydrated skin will present in that way.

Just go to a local salon and buy it (or, if you're bold, ask for a professional discount!). And, I HATE to do this, because this is why I don't retail it anymore, but you could go online and purchase some dermalogica. :-(

A note on Clinique: like other professionals, it is my least fave OTC product line, but not because of their moisturizers. It's their toners that are horrific. Your teacher was prob. referring to the ACETONE they put in their TONERS!!! Acetone is paint thinner - nail polish remover!!! My philosophy on skin has always been "It's your face you're cleaning, NOT the kitchen sink!" Treat it gently.

Hope this helps.

to be honest i totally agree - i have heard bad stuff about clinique and it doesn't really agree with my skin but my friend loves the stuff.....if a product works then keep using it.....

on another point you said that you have a congested chin area and dry skin on your nose - could this be down to food intolerances wheat/dairy as i am sure digestion problems are supposed to show on the chin??.......i am lactose and dairy intolerant (by which i mean even if i have the lactofree dairy products they still affect me).

When i eat a lot of dairy products i get congestion around my chin area and dry flaky skin around the top of my nose and eyebrow area along with dry/sore itchy patches on my face (cheeks) and all over my body and generally my skin feels dry and sometimes slightly itchy (all over) - i also get other digestive related problems - this may not be relevant to you but just thought i would mention it

Thanks for your help and everybody elses on this site really appreciate it, sorry it took me so long to get back to you all, couldn't find my thread, stupid I know. Will look into the digestive problems thanks for that, as I get flaky dry skin around the eyebrow area too and I always eat cheese and have milk with my cereal. Thanks for all the help guys.

Hiya.
Just for info, if you seek out a (dermalogica trained) therapist for some advice on your skin and dermalogica products the face mapping skin analysis and product recommendation is usually free.
so you only spend if you decide to purchase.
:green:

Latest posts

Back