best wax?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niksaki

Reaction score
I am about to do a waxing course (facial and body) not brazillians though YET! :lol: anyhoo was wondering what wax you use? which is the best in your opinion? ta!

Honestly, it comes down to your technique. Technique is much more important than type of wax. Find a type of wax you are comfortable with and master it. Once you have mastered your technique then it really won't matter much what type of wax you are using. I personally love honey wax... that's all I use. On occassion I'll try something new, but I always go back to honey strip wax... doesn't really matter the brand... although I do find that ones that are full of pine resin tend to aweful to work with.

I love Lycon waxes. The rossette hot wax is great for bikini & underarm waxing, they have a new strip wax which they say doesn't leave that sticky feel afterwards. They also train in Brazillian waxing.

Again, I would say it was down to experience.

Waxing does seem quite difficult to master when you first start.You will probably get in a real sticky mess and feel as though you need 3 pairs of hands.A full leg will seem like a mammoth task but, it's not.

Practice,practice and practice, soon it will seem a doddle and wax brands will seem pretty non important.

There are hundreds to choose from but basicaly they all do the same job,remove hair.

Some of us prefer honey wax, some prefer cream, some prefer T-tree some prefer hot some warm.There are lots to choose from.

Have a go with the products that are supplied on your course and see what you think.

I personally prefer honey wax but cream wax is good for the beginner because you can see where it's applied and if you miss an area.Honey is translucent so it's not the easiest to see if you miss an area, on application.

I will say that I have read of some people saying such and such wax dosn't remove hairs so its a rubbish wax.

In all honesty there are actually very few waxes that truely DONT work.It's usually down to the inexperience of the waxer,dry skin, not pressing down and rubbing the wax strip hard enough or the skin being cold.That's not to say there may be the odd waxing products that dont do as good a job as some, but these are few and far between.HTH :)

On occassion I'll try something new, but I always go back to honey strip wax... doesn't really matter the brand... although I do find that ones that are full of pine resin tend to aweful to work with.

Anita, I'm intrigued, what is it about the waxes containing a high percentage of pine resin that you don't like? I've heard that terpentine residue in unrefined pine resin can cause sensitivity problems for some folks, but I'm interested in how it impacts on workability (is that even a real word??!) :)

I am about to do a waxing course (facial and body) not brazillians though YET! :lol: anyhoo was wondering what wax you use? which is the best in your opinion? ta!

Niksaki, I'm with Huberella and Babsann on the choice of wax - technique is more important than brand or style, and this will come with time and lots of practice! Every therapist will have different things they want from their wax and slightly different ways of working, which may influence their final choice of product - for example, I like to work with both cream wax (with strips) and hard wax (non-strip), and have a pot of each on the go during the day.

Best of luck with your course! :)

Andy x

Anita, I'm intrigued, what is it about the waxes containing a high percentage of pine resin that you don't like? I've heard that terpentine residue in unrefined pine resin can cause sensitivity problems for some folks, but I'm interested in how it impacts on workability (is that even a real word??!) :)

Andy, I found that it just didn't spread well and it seems to set too fast and makes it difficult to get off the skin. Overal... anytime I've used a wax that is primarly made up of pine resin, I've had problems with it.

Andy, I found that it just didn't spread well and it seems to set too fast and makes it difficult to get off the skin. Overal... anytime I've used a wax that is primarly made up of pine resin, I've had problems with it.

Ahhh, I see - thanks Anita, that's useful to know :)

I have to agree with the others too. Waxing is down to experience, not the type of wax you use.

I've tried all types. I like the honey wax, but am using aloe vera creme wax, at the moment, not because its better, but just for a little variety.

Hi there

Clean & Easy roll on & pot/hot wax Bare Skin mint atm. Have to agree with technique over product, can get a bit stickey lol..

Nik..... Ask your waxing educator if she can teach makeup[your other post re makeup classes] or knows of someone who can,Id say thats your best place to look.

XX J XX

I love Australian BodyCare system. Great for mobile use, less messy as the wax comes in individual tubes. Disposable head used for each client. The wax goes a long way so economical in that sense. Its a cream wax and I've had a lot of comments off my clients that this hurts less than waxing they've had before (although this could be my skill of pulling off!!).
Also love the before and after care as it cleanses, sanitises, cools, soothes, prevents ingrown hairs etc

Hi there

Clean & Easy roll on & pot/hot wax Bare Skin mint atm. Have to agree with technique over product, can get a bit stickey lol..

Nik..... Ask your waxing educator if she can teach makeup[your other post re makeup classes] or knows of someone who can,Id say thats your best place to look.

XX J XX

Will do thanks for the tip! :)

Again i agree with the others about technique but my favourite wax is tea tree creme wax. I have tried loads of different wax & systems but once i discovered the tea tree wax i was hooked ! :)

Latest posts

Back