Biosculpture or Gelish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mooey

Reaction score
Good afternoon geeks!! :green:

I currently offer shellac and brisa but would like to add a soak off gel to my treatment list. I used to use biosculpture before I set up my own business and I really got on well with the product - only problem is it's got a really bad reputation in my area :S I guess there must be a bad nail technician around! On top of that I did in house training (at nails inc) so never acquired a certificate for bio. This means I cant purchase the products unless I do more training and spend more money :( Anyway this has made me consider gelish instead - I like the colour range - but we had them in another salon I used to work in and they went all gunky and horrible!! Is this normal for gelish in your opinions? At least it is nice and accessible in Sallys. I used to think of this as a bad thing but my local store are really tight with checking for sallys cards!! And it means spending less money for me :biggrin:

Any opinions or experiences are appreciated :love:

I also have some of the akzentz range. Luxio. its not as easy to remove as shellac, but does stay put. i added some to the akzentz group. 100% gel so will not thicken.x

Have you thought of doing a bio conversion course, I've jus looked into it, not as expensive as you would think xx

Have you thought of doing a bio conversion course, I've jus looked into it, not as expensive as you would think xx

Are you talking about the Concise Kit and training day for £260? I did speak Biosculpture earlier today and she said that's what I could do as I've had the previous training... She didn't actually say conversion course but I'm guessing that's what it is! You do have to attend at a later date to do the sculpting day which is compulsory and a further £90. Only thing is I am happy with Brisa to do my sculpts just want to offer a soak off gel too really!

Thank you for your response :biggrin:

My understaning from my local Salon Services/Sally's is that they aren't just selling to anyone you need a qualification to buy it, whether they are all the same????

Gelish will only go sticky, think and gunky if it's been left open or open near the UV light...........

In my area people are moving over from Brisa and Bio Scuplture for Gelish and Shellac, so I would look into what other salons are doing and follow the trend for your area, nothing worse than paying for training and what you've trained in isn't popular.........

Hope thats helpful?

Are you talking about the Concise Kit and training day for £260? I did speak Biosculpture earlier today and she said that's what I could do as I've had the previous training... She didn't actually say conversion course but I'm guessing that's what it is! You do have to attend at a later date to do the sculpting day which is compulsory and a further £90. Only thing is I am happy with Brisa to do my sculpts just want to offer a soak off gel too really!

Thank you for your response :biggrin:
Ooh I was told the sculpts day was optional!! Good luck with whatever you decide :)

My understaning from my local Salon Services/Sally's is that they aren't just selling to anyone you need a qualification to buy it, whether they are all the same????

Gelish will only go sticky, think and gunky if it's been left open or open near the UV light...........

In my area people are moving over from Brisa and Bio Scuplture for Gelish and Shellac, so I would look into what other salons are doing and follow the trend for your area, nothing worse than paying for training and what you've trained in isn't popular.........

Hope thats helpful?

Maybe the bottles need to be kept in a drawer as they have got the little window which would allow UV rays through. I guess this is why the ones in the salon went gunky because they were always on display.

Yes there are many places offering Biosculpture around here, but it has a really bad name unfortunately. I would like to change that, as when I worked with Biosculpture before I really liked it and think its a great product. I like the variety of colours with gelish though - particularly the sparkly ones - not many people offer it around here so it would be a unique service. Oh well. :rolleyes: May just have to get both!! :lol:

Thank you for your reply :biggrin:

Just out of interest, why has Bio got a bad reputation in your area ?

Maybe the bottles need to be kept in a drawer as they have got the little window which would allow UV rays through. I guess this is why the ones in the salon went gunky because they were always on display.

Yes there are many places offering Biosculpture around here, but it has a really bad name unfortunately. I would like to change that, as when I worked with Biosculpture before I really liked it and think its a great product. I like the variety of colours with gelish though - particularly the sparkly ones - not many people offer it around here so it would be a unique service. Oh well. :rolleyes: May just have to get both!! :lol:

Thank you for your reply :biggrin:

The only negative comment I have heard about Bio Sculpture is that it seems thicker than the gel polishes, but it is stronger, so it really depends on whether you are looking for strength or just long wearing colour.

That's why I asked because I don't think I've ever heard a negative !

Iv just finished the bio course and i love love lovee the product. Yes the training was expensive BUT well worth it. Most of my clients are new to bio gel so im trying to build up its rep, so far so good.

Just out of interest, why has Bio got a bad reputation in your area ?

Damage/thinning to the nails. This is why I said I thought it would be down to a bad nail tech rather than the product. When working with the product in the past I really liked it, which is why I am considering using it. I get a lot of clients come to me from elsewhere wanting rid of their bios due to thinning of the natural nail. People notice their nails becoming bendy, weak, 'crap' lol! I think this is due to excessive filing and do explain this to them. Most of them opt for Shellac as there is no buffing whatsoever - and they're happy. Despite this, I do want to take on bio and hopefully restore it's good name in my area. My only worry is if it doesn't work!!! I don't want to get a product that people won't try because they've tried it once before and didn't like it because they had a bad application!! Hmmm... It would be like a leap of faith :wink2:

Bio sculpture also teaches absolutely no filing or even buffing of the natural nail. Bio gel doesn't need that to adhere to the nail, just thorough prepping is fine.

It's sad someone has given it a bad rep by doing this :(

I love bio sculpture and maybe if you used to you should carry on with it. It is slightly thicker than shellac but it has extra strength that I find a lot of people need to get weeks of no chipping on their nails :) x

Damage/thinning to the nails. This is why I said I thought it would be down to a bad nail tech rather than the product. When working with the product in the past I really liked it, which is why I am considering using it. I get a lot of clients come to me from elsewhere wanting rid of their bios due to thinning of the natural nail. People notice their nails becoming bendy, weak, 'crap' lol! I think this is due to excessive filing and do explain this to them. Most of them opt for Shellac as there is no buffing whatsoever - and they're happy. Despite this, I do want to take on bio and hopefully restore it's good name in my area. My only worry is if it doesn't work!!! I don't want to get a product that people won't try because they've tried it once before and didn't like it because they had a bad application!! Hmmm... It would be like a leap of faith :wink2:

I do explain to my clients that when Bio Sculpture is removed that the nail will feel soft as it has been covered up for a long time ( as is your skin after you take off a plaster)
Once the air has had a chance to get to the nail it will firm up (just like it does when you remove your plaster.

Think of the gel as a plaster protecting your nail underneath:hug:!!!!

I've been having Bio on my nails for the last 7 years non stop, and sadly my friend that used to do my nails was diagnosed with cancer and died in august last year. When i finially removed the gel (5 weeks after she did them) they were still strong and healthy underneath - even after 7 years of being covered!

I then did my Bio training in november and take my practicle exam next week (eek!) It is quite expensive to do the training course (more so for me as i didn't have a basic manicure certificate) but it was well worth it, and you get a decent starter kit with uv lamp included in the training pack price x

Bio sculpture also teaches absolutely no filing or even buffing of the natural nail. Bio gel doesn't need that to adhere to the nail, just thorough prepping is fine.

It's sad someone has given it a bad rep by doing this :(

I love bio sculpture and maybe if you used to you should carry on with it. It is slightly thicker than shellac but it has extra strength that I find a lot of people need to get weeks of no chipping on their nails :) x

Bio Sculpture does involve buffing the natural nail (to remove shine) prior to application - or at least this was how I was taught anyway!! I am intrigued and quite excited that you say thorough prep (or pep!) is fine. Maybe the training has changed since I did it? Or maybe Nails Inc taught me wrong :lol: can someone confirm please?

Bio Sculpture does involve buffing the natural nail (to remove shine) prior to application - or at least this was how I was taught anyway!! I am intrigued and quite excited that you say thorough prep (or pep!) is fine. Maybe the training has changed since I did it? Or maybe Nails Inc taught me wrong :lol: can someone confirm please?

Their is now no buffing of the natural nail before application.I was a model for my daughter at the uk head office last year and they said definately no buffing the manual also says no buffing.

I would assume this is since they have also said it is now best to soak off everytime rather than infil.If people buffed everytime they soaked off every 3 weeks or so the nail would become very thin.

I was also taught to remove the shine prior to Calgel with a 240 grit spongeboard, but i have stopped doing this as well and have no lifting problems but i only do a dry prep and clean the nail really well before application with calguard which is Calgels nail plate cleanser.

I do explain to my clients that when Bio Sculpture is removed that the nail will feel soft as it has been covered up for a long time ( as is your skin after you take off a plaster)
Once the air has had a chance to get to the nail it will firm up (just like it does when you remove your plaster.

Think of the gel as a plaster protecting your nail underneath:hug:!!!!

That's a good analogy Pooh! Thanks, I'll use that :)

Any other useful information you know to help me defend the product is welcomed :)

I was taught to remove shine but they've recently changed it to just pep. It's worked for me so far! Hth

I'm too slow! Xx

Latest posts

Back