Bit disheartened, need some geek support!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicola.McC

Reaction score
Hi all
So this is my 3rd week renting a nails desk in a hairdressers. I have gained a couple of new clients so far, had a few appointments week 1 and 2 and this week don't have so much!

I know it's not gona happen over night, I have put posters up in all the local shops, opened a Facebook too. I have heard a few people have said they think my prices are a bit expensive but I disagree obviously.

I have invested in shellac but no1 knows about it, I try to educate them but feel as if am getting nowhere.

There's a beautician that started a few months before me and she's posting offers on fb that are just ridiculous in my opinion!! I am not getting into a price war but it frustrates me that people charge way under what they should be!

Just need a wee rant, words of wisdom and some geek love lol xx

We have a tv monitor in the salon that plays Shellac videos and PR clips ... we are very busy with Shellac VERY busy.

Put a monitor in the window and let people see it or in the reception area! Make sure people know that Shellac is a natural nail manicure and not enhancments.

Many women think if you do nails, it is fake nails you do and they don't want them.

Offer to do one free nail for free and let them see how great it is to have instantly dry and long-lasting polish. Hustle you bustle and TELL people about it everywhere you go.

3 weeks is not much time to expect to be booked up. Hope you can learn to be patient and do something to help yourself ... you can't just sit and wait for it to walk in through the door. :hug:

Last edited:
That's exactly what I would do!!

You could apply the one free nail and then show them how quick and easy it is to soak it off again... they'll be amazed!!

Aw yeah never thought of that, while they are sitting with their colour on I could be demonstrating shellac to them :D

Had someone in for shellac 2 weeks ago this Thursday, she just phoned to canx next appointment saying 2 just fell off 3 days after getting them.

Feeling really sorry 4 myself lol

Shellac does not fall off! :)

Geeg may I ask about your shellac promo video, do s2 have these? Would love to add to my website and in salon video x

Excellent idea, I've thought about showing some treatments on a screen but found out you have to have a tv license :(

from Debbie's HTC Sense

Gigi's ideas are FANTASTIC!

I also recall that fellow Geek Louise Newell made herself some home-made tshirts promoting herself and Shellac. Take a look at her album and you'll see it. Her Shellac business is booming.

Geeg may I ask about your shellac promo video, do s2 have these? Would love to add to my website and in salon video x

You can get the link from cnd.com and helen.gilmore@sweet squared.com will, I'm sure, also have it. Use helen for all PR requests.

You can get the link from cnd.com and helen.gilmore@sweet squared.com will, I'm sure, also have it. Use helen for all PR requests.

Thank you :) x

I used to rent a space in a Hair Salon and granted, I wasn't a newbie and brought my clients from my Beauty Salon, but if it was quiet at all, I would go around and introduce myself to all the Hair Clients and ask them if they'd either like a demo or a free file and paint while they were either having their hair done or waiting for their colour to take.

Some of the clients in the Hair Salon had never had their nails done before and were a little unsure of what services I offered so were happy that I came around to chat to them... I made sure all the Hairdressers had their nails done, as they were my advertisement... I would do their nails for free and in turn they would do my hair for free.

I even made the Coffee and Tea if I ever had a quiet moment and would get chatting to the clients and of course the conversation was always about Nails :)

It only took a few weeks of that and I was soon up to my eyes... I never had a free moment and was constantly busy and my book was always full.

I would certainly agree that by doing one nail and letting the client live with it and feel it and see the beauty of it will do wonders ...

In my early days I did a wedding show .. it was quite expensive for the initial outlay but I did one finger (the ring finger usually with a nice diamond on it as they were all newly engaged!!) and I was overrun with brides ... and they turned into repeat business too ..

And then they tell people and so do they .. and so it goes ... personal recommendation takes a while, but it does filter through and you will be busy in no time ...

Keep it up and be patient ...this time of year is always just a bit quieter I find .. everyone has spent so much during the summer but Christmas is not far away !!!

Good luck xx

Hi all
So this is my 3rd week renting a nails desk in a hairdressers. I have gained a couple of new clients so far, had a few appointments week 1 and 2 and this week don't have so much!

I know it's not gona happen over night, I have put posters up in all the local shops, opened a Facebook too. I have heard a few people have said they think my prices are a bit expensive but I disagree obviously.

I have invested in shellac but no1 knows about it, I try to educate them but feel as if am getting nowhere.

There's a beautician that started a few months before me and she's posting offers on fb that are just ridiculous in my opinion!! I am not getting into a price war but it frustrates me that people charge way under what they should be!

Just need a wee rant, words of wisdom and some geek love lol xx

Just an idea as its helped me hugely, Why not do introductory offers? I rent a room inside a hair and beauty salon. I started there in November. Because my prices are kind of in the middle really (not to cheap and not too expensive) I am able to do offers on them and not lose out. I don't mean rediculous offers but something like 10% or 20% off first visit or during October or £5 off first visit or recently we did full Shellac manicure and pedicure for £60 (it included cuticles, file, scrub, massage etc) but they had to book them together and the offer was on just for August. Clients were having it done and are now regular Shellac'ers! I'm part time as I have a 3 year old and i work 3 half days and a sat, I'm back to back and its all mainly Shellac.
Also you could do recommend a friend and recieve a treatment half price.
Also if you are doing facebook, just keep posting the same thing over and over maybe everyday as peoples news feeds don't always bring everything up. (I know mine doesn't lol)
Are you able to put the Shellac window sticker up at all? This has got me a few clients also as they have been walking/driving past and seen it and popped in!
Hope I've not babbled on too much lol and hope its helped you feel a little better :) xx

I would certainly agree that by doing one nail and letting the client live with it and feel it and see the beauty of it will do wonders ...

In my early days I did a wedding show .. it was quite expensive for the initial outlay but I did one finger (the ring finger usually with a nice diamond on it as they were all newly engaged!!) and I was overrun with brides ... and they turned into repeat business too ..

And then they tell people and so do they .. and so it goes ... personal recommendation takes a while, but it does filter through and you will be busy in no time ...

Keep it up and be patient ...this time of year is always just a bit quieter I find .. everyone has spent so much during the summer but Christmas is not far away !!!

Good luck xx

Also agree with doing one nail. And I have done the same thing at wedding fayres, it has increased business too x

Would be great if S2/cnd offered a promotional dvd that we could buy and have running for clients to see...............

Would be great if S2/cnd offered a promotional dvd that we could buy and have running for clients to see...............

They do have a promotional video... and it's FREE!

See Geeg's post :)

Excellent idea, I've thought about showing some treatments on a screen but found out you have to have a tv license :(

from Debbie's HTC Sense

You could always get a digital photo frame, the kind that scrolls through the pictures, and put on your own pics of a step-by-step shellac

xx

You could always get a digital photo frame, the kind that scrolls through the pictures, and put on your own pics of a step-by-step shellac

xx

What a brill idea!! I'm off to buy a digital photo frame right now!:)

xx

That is such a good idea! Might have to steal that for when I do wedding fayre and promotional things. Hope u don't mind! X

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

The digital photo frame is used by many technicians to showcase their own nail work.

My lovely gorgeous friend Mel in Australia has had beautiful images of her nail art and design work constantly running in her salon for several years now, and I always love watching them. Such a simple and effective way to inspire clients while you have them as a captive audience. Buy several and have them in different locations. X

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back