Bit of a rant - the cheek!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adamantine

Reaction score
Had 2 new clients yesterday. Old school friend and her friend. Everything was fine I was pleased with the nails and they seemed very happy too. Last night I get a text off my friend "hi where did you do your training I'm thinking of doing nails now too".

I spent months looking at sites, comparing training, working out my finances and studying now I'm setting up my business and she has decided that she wants to copy cat me and expects me to tell her how to do it?!??! I think not!!!

I was so chuffed yesterday and then last night I came crashing down after that text. Its hard enough to set up your business without people like that trying to pull you down before you even got up!

Think I've just sacked my first 2 clients after their first appointments. Her friends nails were in horrible condition, split, cracked, peeling, she admitted to picking and does her own gel nails with no training. Grrrrrr

Don't worry too much, I have an old school friend I used to do and she went and bought her own lamp and gelish from eBay. You will always get someone who thinks it looks really easy so they can do it xx

Don't worrie hun! U should b proud ur work inspired her to want to train! But it may just b tht this is a fad for her!
My friend asked me where I was training when I was training and it did upset me a little bit but I know her n I no shell probs do it n then never do it!

She wont be so keen when she finds out the real costs. They all think its easy .. they all think its cheap but I'm sure someone inspired YOU and as you go along you will open others to do the same as you. If competition frightens you then you are in the wrong game! lol Everyone and their Aunt Fanny thinks they can do nails. Whether you tell her or not, she will find out if she is really keen.

What annoyed me was she has no interest in doing nails. Never has. She only got her nails done coz her friend paid for them. Then all of a sudden she sees it as a way to make money and it's easy. I decided to train as I've always had an interest in nails and it's something I always wanted to do but never knew where to start.

But I haven't always wanted to do nails. I was 39 when I first thought about it, now I realise how much I love it!!
She may be genuinely interested, she may not and be put off when she realises it will cost her a lot of time and money.
But we all started off the same, knowing nothing and asking others to recommend a good course. If everyone had refused to let me know I would never have known how great CND was so I'm glad they shared it with me:D

Don't worry if anything be totally truthful ,if she had her friend pay she probably would do financial let her know aalllllll the costs involved,im very transparent with my clients and thay are normally shocked as to how much things cost ie £xx for one bottle of gelish :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry if anything be totally truthful ,if she had her friend pay she probably would do financial let her know aalllllll the costs involved,im very transparent with my clients and thay r normally shocked as to how much things cost ie £24 for one bottle of gelish :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

Yeah I told her the cost of my courses and she hasn't replied! What annoys me is that I did the research myself. Spent hours looking on here and all over for courses, sat with my bank account working out where i could cut back and how I could afford it yet she just thinks "it's ok I'll just ask and get told all the information" If for a second I thought she was serious I wouldn't hesitate to help her out. But she isn't. She has always been like this. I haven't slept in 3 days now so things are annoying me that normally wouldn't but I have cheered up now thanks to a lovely phone call from the Princes Trust who might be able to help me!!

Its really not that cheeky. She has all the same right to choose this as a career as you do. She just asked for your advice in doing it.

My sister in law joined the beauty industry after me, we live in the same town, both work mobile and have a few of the same friends etc. I still helped her as much as I could with everything she got into. I managed to stop someone else making all the same mistakes I did. It hasnt cost me anything, but made me feel good that she trusts my judgement and abilities enough to come to me for help or advice if she needs it.

I still have all my clients and i get to send any new ladies i cant fit in to someone local that i trust.

Dont see it as an insult but rather as a credit to your work that you made it look like an easy and profitable business. If she really has no interest in nails, she wont make it far. Its not as easy as it looks and quite often people give up at the first hurdle xxxxx

Hello!

I do know how fustrated you must feel as I have been in the same situation. I have just finished all my training and whilst doing the training I have spent so much time planning my new business set up - mobile self employed. I have done costings, reasearch, worked out prices, designed leaflets and business cards, advertised etc and I did keep them all pretty hidden away from most in college. Someone managed to get a hold of my price list and just said ''oh great I think ill do your prices and thats a really good layout for the price list'' - all that time and effort just for someone to probably copy it.

I was really mad at first but then thought, you know what, I am happy with the knowledge that I have done all my planning and set up myself and its all my work. If others want to copy - let them - I know I worked hard and that it will pay off!!

Chin Up!!!

Its really not that cheeky. She has all the same right to choose this as a career as you do. She just asked for your advice in doing it.

My sister in law joined the beauty industry after me, we live in the same town, both work mobile and have a few of the same friends etc. I still helped her as much as I could with everything she got into. I managed to stop someone else making all the same mistakes I did. It hasnt cost me anything, but made me feel good that she trusts my judgement and abilities enough to come to me for help or advice if she needs it.

I still have all my clients and i get to send any new ladies i cant fit in to someone local that i trust.

Dont see it as an insult but rather as a credit to your work that you made it look like an easy and profitable business. If she really has no interest in nails, she wont make it far. Its not as easy as it looks and quite often people give up at the first hurdle xxxxx

I consider it cheeky to not bother to do any of the research yourself and expect someone else to just tell you what to do and make it easy. Life isn't easy and if you want something you need to work and work and work for it. I would never have went up to someone and said the same thing. Asked for advice certainly but not expect everything given to me on a plate.

I'm glad you and your sister in law work "together" so to speak. But that is family. And you helped her. She didn't come to you expecting you to tell her when, where and how much did she?

Take is as a compliment. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. :)

I get a lot of this, due to being young, and still at sixth form. My friends ask why I charge so much when they can get it done for £x down the road.

Then I get asked where I trained, as they wanna do they're own nails so they dont have to pay. I tell them how much it is a bottle, and they soon change their mind!

I consider it cheeky to not bother to do any of the research yourself and expect someone else to just tell you what to do and make it easy. Life isn't easy and if you want something you need to work and work and work for it. I would never have went up to someone and said the same thing. Asked for advice certainly but not expect everything given to me on a plate.

I'm glad you and your sister in law work "together" so to speak. But that is family. And you helped her. She didn't come to you expecting you to tell her when, where and how much did she?

But she only asked you where you'd done your training! OK so you had to do all the research yourself, but if you'd had a friend who was a newly qualified nail tech when you were first starting out wouldn't you have asked her the same question? I know I would!

I had a lady yesterday for a tan come in and after she said, you do you are very expensive (I charge £15 a tan) and that the local salon in town are cheaper but I like your better. I was shocked, £15 is cheap! I wouldn't go lower.

I also get people ask how much does it cost you to do a treatment, or I've had a few people ask me how much my rent is,

I also had a lady who was getting married say she went for a trail with someone and they put cluster lashes on and she saw on the box they had a price tag for £3 on and she thought it was cheeky she got charged £15 for them.
I always get asked who I trained with and how much training was. Honestly next time I will ask how much they make from there job, or how much there car cost lol.

People will ask you lots of questions. And it wont be the first time someone says oh this looks easy and gives it a go them selfs, but as least your person asked about training, most people wouldn't even get training and just buy a kit (boots sell acrylic kits, eBay ect) and charge £10 a set x

But she only asked you where you'd done your training! OK so you had to do all the research yourself, but if you'd had a friend who was a newly qualified nail tech when you were first starting out wouldn't you have asked her the same question? I know I would!

No because it's cheeky!

Be confident in your abilities. You must feel threatened to be so annoyed if you liked somebody's shoes wud you ask.where they got them from? If your saw somebody wearing a gorgeous shade of polish wud you ask what make it was? If u answered yes then why is it cheeky to ask somebody where they trained to do nails. Take it as a compliment she obviously liked them. Believe me there are more than enough clients to.go round, your not the first person to learn how to.do nails and you won't be the last. But if you are good at your job it won't affect you whatsoever.

No because it's cheeky!

Well then we'll have to agree to disagree, because I don't think it's cheeky at all. :D

I would get used to it because you will be asked this question again and again. Not to mention the "how much does it cost"? "how much profit do you make"? "how much do you make a year"? Etc etc etc. if you are confident in yourself dont feel threatened by it, just have you answers ready for them.

No because it's cheeky!
I'm sorry but it's not cheeky to ask where you did your training. It's flattering as she must have thought you did a good job!
It's pretty obvious that I did some CND training when I'm using CND products- why would I want to hide that?!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back