Black heads

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbabinks

Reaction score
Hi,

What would you recommend for a novice to remove black heads or is their treatment at a salon I should get?

Thanks
Ria

I think you have that done at a salon, because if done improperly it can cause scarring or infections. hth

I waxed my nose once - got rid of the blackheads for ages, :eek:
Felt weird afterwards though.

i figured it would be same sort of thing as the nose strips - just industrial strength!
x

i figured it would be same sort of thing as the nose strips - just industrial strength!
x
PMSL, but im going to give that a go, i have loads of tiny ones that arnt all that noticeable untill im sat at my nail desk with the unforgiving bright light :hug:

Make sure your skin is clean and then warm it with a hot flannel or steam over water.
Put tissue over your fingers and roll around the blackhead rather than squeeze.If they are very stuck in you may need them removed professionally and if they are just black open pores they will keep coming back anyway.
Be careful around the nose because you can cause broken capillaries.

x
YIKES!!!!!!! :eek:

x
Hot wax or strip wax ? i could see the hot wax working well but wouldn't advocate it might do it on myself though.

Exfoliating 3 times per week and making sure you are using products free of alcohol and fillers is the they key to black head battle.

Hiya Geeks

I saw a dermatologist and he told me that after expelling a blackhead, the pore starts filling up again within 48 hours!! :irked:

No wonder fighting blackheads is a full time job! LOL :) I am going to try that hard waxing of the nose to try it..why not?! lol I am always looking for tips on keeping skin clear.

The key for fighting blackheads is to keep those pores clean. So, after expelling blackheads, i swipe the area with a toner containing salasylic (i know that's not correct spelling, but i cant download the spell check!) acid.

Hot wax or strip wax ? i could see the hot wax working well but wouldn't advocate it might do it on myself though.

It was a couple of years ago.. :green:
I was waxing my lip with one of those Veet strip thingys and got carried away!
I'm not traned in waxing - i just got carried away inpecting my face too closely, lol.
x

It was just the once. I went for my first facial soon after and as at the time i was a just a "soap and water - slap of cheap moisteriser" girl she convinced me to start with toners. (and to take my make up off at night which i NEVER do)

She said the soap was fine - i just needed to use toner afterwards.
Now i'm using the Garnier stuff and seems to help quite a bit. Garnier Synergie Skincare available to buy with worldwide postage

She said the soap was fine -
Very rarely is soap fine for use on the face.:eek:
Most soaps are alkaline, even "Dove, it's ph neutral !" (that advert drives me mad!:irked: ) is too drying for the face. Your skin has what's called an acid mantle. In easy terms, skin is slightly acidic on the ph scale. So if you put anything alkali, or even neutral on the skin, it's the opposite of what it needs and therefore can be too drying.
I use sulfate (soap) free shampoo and bodywash, they work really well (and no, I don't smell.:lol: )

Acid mantle

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The acid mantle is a very fine, slightly acidic film on the surface of the skin acting as a barrier to bacteria, viruses and other potential contaminants that might penetrate the skin. These contaminants and other chemicals are primarily alkaline in nature and the skin's moderate acidity helps to neutralize their chemical effects.
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_mantle"

Exfoliating 3 times per week and making sure you are using products free of alcohol and fillers is the they key to black head battle.
whats a filler:)
my daughter aged 14 suffers from blackheads as she has oily skin, what would be the best routine for her to follow, I need something relativley cheap and simple to do or she won't be bothered.

Thanks for all your responses now I have a bit more information this will help with the battle of the black heads!!LOL

whats a filler:)
my daughter aged 14 suffers from blackheads as she has oily skin, what would be the best routine for her to follow, I need something relativley cheap and simple to do or she won't be bothered.
My daughters favorite is liz earle cleanse and polish because you can rub it all over your face and eyes and then you remove it with a hot muslin cloth.
Its very gentle,all natural and lovely to use.Its about mid price range but very economical.Liz Earle Cosmetics Ltd.
At the moment they have a try me young skin pack of products.They always make lovely presents as they come beautifully wrapped.
Also look out for them on qvc especially as the todays special value.

you have to be careful advising people to exfoliate more than a couple of times a week if they don't have dry skin, as this can over stimulate the sebacious glands. Blackheads are caued by excess sebum blocking pores, so they are commonly found on somebody with an oily skin. If they are over exfoliating and over stimulating the sebacious glands this will make thier skin even more oily, thus creating more blackheads.

I would recommend having extractions done at a salon regularly as they will have all of the correct products and steamers to use so your skin is softened enough etc and you are not causing any unneccessary damage to yourself (as someone said above, broken capillaries) They should be able to recommend products and home care advice once they have analysed your skin. hth

Latest posts

Back