Bleach disaster!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When i used to have a full head bleach i used to put a mask on after and it made my head feel soooo much cooler!!

Im not sure what the name was! Its was bed head in a round pot and smelt of pepermint!! The peppermint really cooled and calmed my scalp! Great to have hanging around the salon incase of a 'hot head'! Some one my know the name! If not ask at your whole sale its not exspensive! X

Sent from my HTC Vision using SalonGeek

Treat me right - tigi bed head, don't use it after Toning as its not colour safe.

Thats better! just started typing and spotted that I had 1% of charge left. Didnt want to type out a big reply and lose it!

My first thought was that the hair was bleached a touch to far last time, but that doesnt account for the scalp issue.
There could also be a change of formula in your product, but it's unlikely. Manufacturers dont usually change a formula into one that burns.
The peroxide may be at fault, and was stronger than labelled. There is a testing device (cant think what its called offhand)

My theory is that mettallic salts were present. Burnt scalp, shrivelled hair, breakage before lift and skin reaction all point to metallic salts. Has she used any colour refreshers in between salon visits? (clients do lie sometimes). Is the water polluted in your area? The hair breaking before lift is either down to the peroxide or metallic salts.
The scalp burns is either peroxide being wrong, mettallic salts or too much ammonia in the product (unlikely).

I would test mix the product on my arm, if it doesnt burn, I would figure that either there is pollutant in your water, or the client has been playing and is telling porkies about not using toners at home.

Hey Blue Rinse - hope I haven't offended you by waiting for Persianista's reply .. but she is the 'Don' of hair.

Love your posts too :Kissing:

Hey Blue Rinse - hope I haven't offended you by waiting for Persianista's reply .. but she is the 'Don' of hair.

Love your posts too :Kissing:

No not at all! My posts are few and far between currently as I'm concentrating all my efforts into decorating my salon and getting ready to open next week...having one last chill night watching Marley and me!

No not at all! My posts are few and far between currently as I'm concentrating all my efforts into decorating my salon and getting ready to open next week...having one last chill night watching Marley and me!

I know I've seen your pictures on another thread .. you are going to be fab fab fab!!!

How's the salon coming on blue any pics yet? X

How's the salon coming on blue any pics yet? X

I've been taking pics along the way but won't upload them till it's done x

I've been taking pics along the way but won't upload them till it's done x

Oo good can't wait to see them how you findin it when I done my salon out I had 2 weeks to get it open i was there with family and friends till 4 in the morning most nights and 2 hours before the opening party were still puttin mirrors on the walls lol was a nightmare got there in the end and now lookin at a major refurb hope everything's going well for you :) x

Thankyou everyone for your replies!

Thats better! just started typing and spotted that I had 1% of charge left. Didnt want to type out a big reply and lose it!

My first thought was that the hair was bleached a touch to far last time, but that doesnt account for the scalp issue.
There could also be a change of formula in your product, but it's unlikely. Manufacturers dont usually change a formula into one that burns.
The peroxide may be at fault, and was stronger than labelled. There is a testing device (cant think what its called offhand)

My theory is that mettallic salts were present. Burnt scalp, shrivelled hair, breakage before lift and skin reaction all point to metallic salts. Has she used any colour refreshers in between salon visits? (clients do lie sometimes). Is the water polluted in your area? The hair breaking before lift is either down to the peroxide or metallic salts.
The scalp burns is either peroxide being wrong, mettallic salts or too much ammonia in the product (unlikely).

I would test mix the product on my arm, if it doesnt burn, I would figure that either there is pollutant in your water, or the client has been playing and is telling porkies about not using toners at home.

My only thought has to be metallic salts or faulty products...the only thing she uses in between colours is a silver shampoo, but she has always used the same one and only every other shampoo so no build up!

I will get some hair to test and see, and i'll ring affinage first thing tomorrow and see what they have to say...

Id love to know how to test the peroxide though if snyone has an idea how i can?

Thanks again everyone!

Heavy metal pollution in the water when she has been washing her hair maybe?

Hey Geeks

Going to be a long one so sorry in advance!

Yesterday i had one of my regulars for a colour and a cut...ive done her hair probably about 8 times now, probably 6 times in the colour it is now.

I do a scalp bleach, and a blue black halo at the front.

I have used the same products in exactly the same way ever since her hair has been this colour, but as we all know, bleach dulls and i have in the past bleach bathed the ends with bleach powder, shampoo and water - equal parts, but it never seemed to make much difference.

She really looks after her hair so even though it is platinum blonde, it was in great condition, also we were doing a restyle and taking on average 3 inches off her hair all over, but it's asymmetrical so one side had a lot more off than the other....because of the restyle, i thought id bleach the roots with 20 vol, as i normally do, and half way through processing, mix up a bleach bath with 3% to cleanse to ends so the toner would be as even as possible.

however the first thing we noticed was that the bleach was 'itchy' for her and it had never been in the past, my first reaction to this was she may have washed her hair very recently but she told me she hadn't washed it in about 3 days, and you could definately tell!

The second peculiar thing was that the roots were lifting, but you could see they were going very brassy, almost bright orange after about 10 minutes. Using 20 vol and this product, this never ever happens, its hard to see any change when it's processing as its such a gentle product.

About 5 minutes before we were due to wash it of and apply the toner, she said she had under exaggerated the itching, and it had actually been burning since 5 minutes after i started to apply it to her roots. sure enough, i looked at the back of her neck and it was red raw and so were her ears!

The bleach bath was also on at this point so we went straight to rinse, and i said as her scalp was sensitive today, i may not be able to tone, but i may try some oil on her scalp before i apply the toner, and i never shampoo prior to a toner anyway as this makes it even more uncomfortable.

Whilst rinsing, i found it quite strange that the bleached hair felt softer than the black hair...but this just proves, what is feels like, proves nothing!

After the bleach had been thoroughly rinsed, i began to blot dry her hair with a towel, and....clumps of her hair just broke off! i literally thought i was going to throw up, cry, then faint!

luckily shes also a friend so i am still alive to ask for advice here, but it was terrible, the roots were yellow, and they always lift to a clean white and the rest of it was just dead....as soon as i seen it, i covered it in masque and started cutting as i didn't want the damage to spread to the root.

I can safely say, the majority isn't now breaking, but some still is.

i have never seen hair look and feel like that before so all i can think is a chemical reaction, or the bleach i used was a bad batch or something as it brand new.

Someone shed some light on this please lol and how would i go about getting my bleach tested...i know it sounds funny but i dont trust the company to actually test it and tell me the truth, if there is something wrong with it!

Cheers Geeks!

She also just text me saying her scalp still really itches and stings and you can see burns all over!
Did it let of a funny smell or seem hotter than normal, if so the bleach as probably reacted with something in the hair as she used anything at all different? It's usually when there's metallic salts present in something that the hair will have such a terrible reaction :-(

Did this client have a spray tan within the last 24 hours of getting her service?

The best thing iv been given when my scalp was burnt was a lotion off the doctor, it has a anti itch thing in it and a lot of steroids to help the scalp regenerate, I had my first bottle 4 years ago and still have robust it after I colour, my bad experience caused permanent damage, but the lotion sorts out any itching and blisters in a few days x

I was speaking to an affinage educator on Monday and he said ice creme has to be mixed exactly or it can give a bad reaction, could your scales have been playing up? He also said under no circumstances should you use this product with anything other than 3% or 6% as its far to strong, he said that he once used it on a block and used 12%, left the room for 10 minutes and when he came back the whole block had started melting, face and all.

I was speaking to an affinage educator on Monday and he said ice creme has to be mixed exactly or it can give a bad reaction, could your scales have been playing up? He also said under no circumstances should you use this product with anything other than 3% or 6% as its far to strong, he said that he once used it on a block and used 12%, left the room for 10 minutes and when he came back the whole block had started melting, face and all.

I've never had problems with my scales but you never know and I know it shouldn't be used with higher than 20 vol...gues il never know

I've never had problems with my scales but you never know and I know it shouldn't be used with higher than 20 vol...gues il never know

Just out of interest did you get in touch with affinage?
If yes what did they say?

Did you sort things out with the client?

Hope this didn't knock you down for long xx

Just out of interest did you get in touch with affinage?
If yes what did they say?

Did you sort things out with the client?

Hope this didn't knock you down for long xx

They asked me to send the powder and peroxide back for testing but haven't had chance yet...client is fine, wants to go black all over now but not sure how to go about doing it, maybe a true semi and retail her one to maintain the colour

Glad you've not lost a client or confidence xx

I'd pre pig then put a semi on.

Just to be sure do a test cutting and skin test first xx

I might look into getting toners and semi's to retail, takes the guess work out of what they used.
What range of semi's do u retail? Xoxo

They asked me to send the powder and peroxide back for testing but haven't had chance yet...client is fine, wants to go black all over now but not sure how to go about doing it, maybe a true semi and retail her one to maintain the colour

Hey Perry, I would pre pig with bright red, like wella 66/45 semi, and then apply the 2/0 semi on top :) becuase as you know black is made up of red so the more red the better! :D

Latest posts

Back