Bloke just phoned to say had a virus on laptop

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blush09

Reaction score
just had a guy with heavy accent phone up supposedly from windows support to say my laptop has a virus and trying to tell me how to fix it .. obviously didnt give him time of day but now worried has some of my information, where'd he get my number .. anyone had this happen to them?
asked me to press the windows button and lette r - didnt of course, just got me worrying now:irked:

Last edited:
Hi, i think its some sort of scam (although i dont know what they acheive by it). My friend has had this call loads recently and had one this morning. She looked around on the net and alot of people had reported it as a scam, when you confront them about it on the phone they hang up on you. Sign of guilt maybe! I wouldnt worry too much about them having any of your information as my mums had the calls too and she doesnt even have a computer! :lol: so i think they just pick phone numbers at random, like cold calling xx

I've heard about this also. I wouldn't take it personally, they are dialing randomly. They probably want to mislead people into down loading spyware so they can access your personal information.
I feel sorry for the innocent people who fall for these con-men.

3 counties are asking people to phone in if they've had this call, heard it about 1o'clock today.

I took one of those calls too and I thought it was a bit suss but let him waffle on for a while...

As soon as I told him that I was suspicious and mentioned the word scam he was gone.

Don't worry, unless you allowed him to work on your lap top he won't have any info on you... he asked me for permission to "fix" any errors on my lap top and said technical support would work on it for me.

It IS a scam.... I'm so fed up with all these scammers that I just don't take any more of these calls and never buy anything at the door etc

You can't even trust kids knocking on the door anymore asking to be sponsered, they are putting the money in their pockets and their sponser card is fake... that's just the way things are these days.. sad isn't it?!

You can buy phone lists, they are everywhere or they have a computer that just randomly makes up numbers. I had one of these about a month ago and the guy said I had a virus on my computer, I told him it was impossible as he had no access to my details and that I hadn't switched it on for months. he then asked if I had a laptop and said it would be that. I told him I wasn't interested and put the phone down, seconds later, he phoned again so he was obviously working from a list and forgotten he'd called me!

Well if he rings me again I'll know its him because of his accent.

I'm going to say "yes I'll just go get Karen now" and leave the phone off the hook and see how long it takes him to hang up :lol:

and leave the phone off the hook and see how long it takes him to hang up :lol:

I've done that to cold callers, longest call lasted 15minutes:eek:
Well, it's their phone bill :lol:

I've had calls like that and told em my stepson is a dr in computers and he sees to mine once a month they soon go away lol

Latest posts

Back