Book Day (fancy dress) at school..need help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bagpuss

Sleepy Geek Zzzzzzzz
Reaction score
why do the schools do this to us....:irked:

its book day at my kids school on friday...they have to dress up in a book character costume.....:irked: i cannot go out spending money of fancy dress stuff for my 3 girls...not when they need "real" clothes.

Any ideas please....i am useless with anything like this....:(

girls...ages 6, 7 and 11

thanks xx

Not going to be any help I'm afraid, but just wanted to say thanks, my little boy has got his tommorrow and I'd forgot! Good luck tho.

I remember this when mine were younger - K went as Katie Morag with a small kilt on and a white T-shirt - no one knew who she was supposed to be LOL. A went in a mermaid outfit which we had at home.

There are lots of things they could go as without much effort, but I can never think of them LOL.

What books are they into - Harry Potter - big cloak and a wand, Horrid Henry - stripey t-shirt and messy hair - cant think of other kids stories at the mo as mine are into horrible history at the moment LOL.

Do you have any dress up clothes that you could use - at the end of the day it is about the kids having fun and raising funds for the school - I believe and it should not be about who can spend the most money and overdo it LOL.

Yep I just got a letter from the school this afternoon telling us we have to do the same by this Friday.:rolleyes: Honestly, I wonder if these teachers think that we have cupboards full of themed fancy dress outfits on hand
(or that we have nothing else to do with our time other than 'create' things.)
Oh well moan over - thinking cap on! :lol:

Can't offer any help, only sypathise with you! I'm in the same boat, my little girl is supposed to dress as a fairy tale character on Friday and I haven't come up with diddly squat yet:irked: , and just to add more pressure Amy says she hates fairy tales, and there's no way she's going as a princess, so I guess a costume from woolworths is out then, great!!!!!

well i just said to Ria (11) she could be a dictionary...dress in black and we will stick loads of words all over her....she just gave me "the" look....

only fancy dress costumes we have are snow white size 5...so would only fir Tayla and she don't want to wear it in-case the boys laugh at her...:rolleyes:

and a tatty old fairy outfit that i wouldn't even use to clean the floor with.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh.....:irked: .

I'm sending my daughter as Willy Wonka. Basically you need a walking stick, bright clothes, white sunnies and if you can get one a top hat, I've made one out of card (not as hard as it sounds).

Not only have I had to make 2 costumes for book day, my daughter has also had to go as a pirate today and tomorrow. So thanks for the weekend school:irked:

What about cats - black leggings, black t shirt, cut the legs of tights stuff in paper and glue/sew it on for a tail, make some ears ona headband and a bit of face paint. Theres loads of cats in books!!

Or rabbits similar principal - watership down!!

What about Tracey beaker - fuzzy hair, attitude LOL

If they dont want to go with your suggestions then ask what they suggest? Then we can maybe help with costume ideas.

Are there no books about nail technicians - one could wear your uniform LOL.

Think I am losing it now LOL.

my boys have got book day on the 9th march it grates me as i am skint too....so i will have to dig out last years costumes which will be too small.
schools need to realise with families with lots of kids if its not school trips its chinese day and money needed for a dinner or flippin book week :cry:

If they dont want to go with your suggestions then ask what they suggest? Then we can maybe help with costume ideas.

there's waaaaay to much attitude coming from my 7 year old as it is lol!:lol:

my boys have got book day on the 9th march it grates me as i am skint too....so i will have to dig out last years costumes which will be too small.
schools need to realise with families with lots of kids if its not school trips its chinese day and money needed for a dinner or flippin book week :cry:

Plus the fact if you work theres the time it takes you. I had to spend Saturday morning getting the stuff and making it up in the afternoon because with college and other stuff I wouldn't have had time this week.

why do the schools do this to us....:irked:

its book day at my kids school on friday...they have to dress up in a book character costume.....:irked: i cannot go out spending money of fancy dress stuff for my 3 girls...not when they need "real" clothes.

Any ideas please....i am useless with anything like this....:(

girls...ages 6, 7 and 11

thanks xx

What about pirates - i.e peter pan some red or blue stripey shirts and its a winner
or "Meg and Mog" - black dress and black pointed hat (bin bag and card for hat)
Harry potter - glasses and a broom
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - Mike TV cowboy hat etc

Ria is already Tracey beaker !!!!....she just turns her nose up at everything i suggest and when i ask her she says "i dunno"

Amber says...Bratz....thats easy.....punky funky clothes

Tayla has just said either tinker bell...(i have wings only)....or Bratz too.....so Ria seems my own problem.....(you know what i mean...:lol:)

Has she read Phillip Pullman's Northern Lights yet? If so she could be the heroine Lyra Bellaqua. Just Victorian style clothes, a bit tatty and carrying a soft polar bear. Ok it's meant to be a ferocious armoured polar bear, but a bit of artistic license could be used here.
The book is currently being turned into a film so it should meet all the street cred requirements of an 11yr old girl.:(:lol:

I remember those days, wee willy winkie, dads shirt, candle hat. Snow white, queen of hearts, dress with red hearts cut out and just tacked on. Tinkerbell, cut and old dress with all jagged bits at the end and just sew a few beads on end of dress. :hug:

Thank god I'm not the only one!! My eldest's book day is Thursday!! He likes Doctor who so as he has the book I'll be trying to dress him as him!! We think!! I hate it when the school don't give you loads of notice!! :( Last dress up day was when he was a nursery last year & he & his little bro went as the Darling boys from Peter pan!! Will Have to put some pics up!! :)

uh god , my kids have this too on friday , i dont have anything they will wear , they have nurses dresses , witch costumes and , my youngest has a santa dress and a fairy costume ..but will they wear any of them ....NOPE !

im not creative enough anymore to make them a fab costume , and dont have money to go out and buy materials ect..
last year they had a fab Dorathy made from an old blue and white gingham school dress , and an oompah loompa (dont get me started on the sassberry song again lol:green: )
but the oompah loompa was fab and as a mum ..i was looking at this kid abserloutly gutted , i didnt think of it lol

My daughter had to do this just the other month, she went as Charlotte from Charlotte's web!!! That's who she wanted to go as and I thought how the heck am I going to do this!!!

It wasn't too bad though, black tights and shorts, and her top was black with a stuffed black furry hat sewn on the back for a body and the legs were made of tights stuffed with newspaperand I put a line of thread through them and attatched them to her sleeves so that when she moved her arms her legs moved if you get what I mean.

hth

Just asked Gracie and she said that she wants to be Cinderella which is fab because thats the outfit Santa brought her for Christmas!!:lol:

Latest posts

Back