Booster Seat Deadline

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lellipop

Lelli Loo Loo
Reaction score
Well me being me means I totally forgot that the new booster seat laws came into force today :irked: So I spent a few hours trawling round the shops, Only to find that they were out of stock everywhere. I have managed to track one down via the internet this evening thank god, But I cant understand why the car seat makers haven't been more prepared for the big day by increasing stock to the shops.
Next problem getting my 10 year old son to sit on it :confused: I have brought one with drink holders to try and bribe him to sit on it.

Thank god I'm not the only one!!! We still haven't got one for my eldest son.:irked: Sold out everywhere:irked:. Waiting for more stock from Argos. Can't afford the expensive ones:rolleyes:. But you'd think they would have be prepared for this? Hope we'll be ok, was told they are giving people some time though to get one, finger's crossed as there is nothing we can do!!:rolleyes:

What do you mean 'new booster seat laws'?

Your kids don't have to sit in booster seats before now? WOW:eek:

Here in Quebec Canada, it's been like that for quite some time.
As for them being required by 10yr olds.. it depends on the size of the child, not the age. At least, that's how it is here.

What exactly are the regulations where you are?

What do you mean 'new booster seat laws'?

Your kids don't have to sit in booster seats before now? WOW:eek:

Here in Quebec Canada, it's been like that for quite some time.
As for them being required by 10yr olds.. it depends on the size of the child, not the age. At least, that's how it is here.

What exactly are the regulations where you are?

Children up to 12 Yrs old and less than 135cms in height (4 ft 5in)

NEED A CAR OR BOOSTER SEAT - BY LAW

This new LAW will come into effect on SEPTEMBER 18TH and failure to
comply may result in a FIXED £30.00 PENALTY NOTICE and if the case
goes to court a maximum FINE of £500.00

i forgot too, and now i cant get one anywhere:cry: :cry: . i just hope that the argos get some more in soon.:eek:

Take it u have tried asda,tesco,halfords etc....
I know the new law must b a pain in the butt-but really its for the best reason-we had a paramedic come and chat to us at a playgroup(he's also the dad of a girl there) and apparently if the seat belt is in the wrong position-i.e the child is too short-its likely to do more harm than good as its straight across their necks instead of on their shoulder where its meant to b...so although it may seem a bit of a stupid law to bring in-its really our country thats stupid for not bringing the law in sooner-like Victoria says-its been like that in Canada forever
Hope u all manage to find some soon!!!:green:

There was a peice on the radio last night about this - apparantly shops have been overstocked for weeks, but no one bought until the last minute, meaning there was a higher demand than the shops could even cope with!

Personally I think it should have been better advertised to remind people...if we can have TV campaigns to remind us about drinking/driving, smoking and tax returns...surely this would have warranted one?

Hi,

Have any of you tried Babies r us? I recently bought my little girls from there.

Take it u have tried asda,tesco,halfords etc....
I know the new law must b a pain in the butt-but really its for the best reason-we had a paramedic come and chat to us at a playgroup(he's also the dad of a girl there) and apparently if the seat belt is in the wrong position-i.e the child is too short-its likely to do more harm than good as its straight across their necks instead of on their shoulder where its meant to b...so although it may seem a bit of a stupid law to bring in-its really our country thats stupid for not bringing the law in sooner-like Victoria says-its been like that in Canada forever
Hope u all manage to find some soon!!!:green:

Great facts there from Carend. I'm due to start my new part time job next week at an independant nursery shop, and last week I went to Britax headquarters to do my car seat training. Some of what we saw there was really scary stuff.
I actually witnessed a crash test at 30mph using a 3/4yr old crash test dummy. The force at which the dummy was thrown forward was horrific. The dummy was on just a booster seat, it's NOT ENOUGH at that age. To realy be safe kids need a full seat with side impact protection. The side impact crash test was dreadful.
One video we saw of a previous crash test using a basic seatbelt on a small child, resulted in the crashtest dummy loosing it's head.:eek: Scary stuff, but this is why we need this law, and who as a parent would put a £70 price tag on their childs life?
I'm so glad I bought a full ASIS seat a while back for my 5 yr old, it'll fit him till he's about 11/12, and he will be staying in it no matter what he says!

I think cycle helmets should be made compulsory as well.Kids tear around on the roads thinking they are invincible.I know they dont like to wear them as they think it's 'uncool', but if they all had to wear one then it wouldn't be such an issue.When I lived in Weymouth a kiddie smashed into a brick wall,straight over handle bars,head first.Fractured skull.End result coma,then death.:eek:

everywhere round my area had sold out too and this has been for well over a month!!! Argos of all places i thought would have had more inor been able to obtain them.
I resorted to emailing some US company's but unfortunately they were'nt in a position to send to the uk and as is often typical my family from the US were in this country so could'nt forward them on.

So after weeks of checking the ones on ebay.....(note the ones on ebay that were originally from high street stores were selling for double if not triple the original selling price + up to £10 postage!!!!)
I decided to go with a business seller on Ebay ......hounded him to death with questions and finally purchased them late friday evening .
They arrived yesterday morning and my children are sooooooo impressed....Diesel has insisted that i take him out for a spin in the car after school.
Hth
Love mAND XX X X

I heard the police are going to be quite lenient initially,so I wouldn't panic too much.They will know a lot of people will be finding it difficult to get booster seats due to the lack of stock.

ok i may have just got off a different planet... but WHAT car seat law??????

ok i may have just got off a different planet... but WHAT car seat law??????

Children up to 12 Yrs old and less than 135cms in height (4 ft 5in)

NEED A CAR OR BOOSTER SEAT - BY LAW

This new LAW will come into effect on SEPTEMBER 18TH and failure to
comply may result in a FIXED £30.00 PENALTY NOTICE and if the case
goes to court a maximum FINE of £500.00

Although my older two kids are only 8 and 10 they must be quite tall for their age as their both over 135cm. I wonder if their going to police it though. I'm always seeing people's kids rolling around in trhe back of the car with no seat belt on.:!:

I also have to admit that my kids are really tall... my 11 yr old is nearly as tall as me and my 8yr old is not far of eaither.. hopefully when he gets home from school all my worries will be sorted and he will be over 135cm fingers crossed

Is it me or has there NOT been alot about this... surely this is so important that it should have worrented alot more publisilty.. maybe a letter or leflet sent home from school (as these are the children that probally dont have booster seats) letting us parents that live on a different planet know about this law.. ( or am i just being a whingy cow) (answers on a postcard please) lol

Did you all know that babies should be rearward facing (not actually illegal in this country if their not) until they are at least 1 year old, as their necks aren't strong enough to be forward facing. In sweden (i think) they have to be rearward facing till there 4.

xx

Did you all know that babies should be rearward facing (not actually illegal in this country if their not) until they are at least 1 year old, as their necks aren't strong enough to be forward facing. In sweden (i think) they have to be rearward facing till there 4.

xx

Yeh knew about babies as both mine were like that till the age of one!! But 4 OMG there legs would be round there head somewhere, lol!!
Seriously though I still can't get a booster seat been Asda as well as Argos, plus Harods. Tried everywhere but "NO STOCK" I'm obviously gonna keep trying but can't afford an expensive one at the moment anything above £15-20 is a no-no. God you'd think like I said earlier that shops would have been better prepared for this. Hopefully police will understand for the first couple of weeks.:irked: Its not our fault there's no stock!!!! Plus really its not been advertised that well so no ones rushed to get them till it was on the news last week!

Latest posts

Back