breakages with gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurab71

Reaction score
Question here for anyone. I have done a few sets of gel nails and so far those that have had them done, have broken them. The gel has been applied because they dont have a hectic lifestyle.The tips havent come off or broken away but even myself, when i have had gel tips on, they have broken. So we have all swapped over to acrylic & hey presto, no breakages.
Can anyone give me some advice on this one please. I have swapped over to millenium tips.I have followed the techniques for gel aplication & applied enough gel along the blended area, then to the free edge & have made a nice apex shape. Also i have capped the free edge & sides then used a uv topcoat, but they always seem to break, which is annoying for myself & the client ( and time consuming).But they have stuck with me & gone over to acrylic. I am thinking of trying this acrygel instead of normal gel for the strength to prevent anymore tips breaking. Some advice would be appreciated.
Laura.x.:mad:

Question here for anyone. I have done a few sets of gel nails and so far those that have had them done, have broken them. The gel has been applied because they dont have a hectic lifestyle.The tips havent come off or broken away but even myself, when i have had gel tips on, they have broken. So we have all swapped over to acrylic & hey presto, no breakages.
Can anyone give me some advice on this one please. I have swapped over to millenium tips.I have followed the techniques for gel aplication & applied enough gel along the blended area, then to the free edge & have made a nice apex shape. Also i have capped the free edge & sides then used a uv topcoat, but they always seem to break, which is annoying for myself & the client ( and time consuming).But they have stuck with me & gone over to acrylic. I am thinking of trying this acrygel instead of normal gel for the strength to prevent anymore tips breaking. Some advice would be appreciated.
Laura.x.:mad:

If your gel nails are breaking, then you are either using a gel that is not strong, or are not building it correctly.

Hundreds of nail technicians use gel and do not have this problem. Also some Gels are also much stronger than others. A really strong gel is Brisa Gel from CND. Non soak off gels are much stronger than gels that soak off in general.

I only use gel and never have to worry about breakages. Is it self levelling? Maybe your apex isn't as good because it's levelling too much.

try pre tailoring your tips to remove most of the well area. this will give you more opportunity to apply product at the stress area without the nail becoming bulky.
the tips themselves do not give the nail strength, it is the structure of the product. tips breaking off generally mean that the stress area is not adequately structured.

Its not at the stress area they are breaking, it is at the edges, like chipping, or in the middle. I think i wll have to apply more gel at the edges, although i think i am applying enough already. Never mind, i will stick with them & see what i get from it. I am not too worried, as since i changed my acrylic over to creative, ive had no probs & my acrylic tips are going good. But i want my gels to go good. I have a young girl who has no problems with them, it seems to be the oldies. Just plod on.
Thanks ladies for the advice,
Laura.x.

could they be to long for there lifestyles...?? x

I have had problems with the gel coming off just the tip. If you don't rough them up with a file the gel will sometimes peel off. Then it would just be a naked tip so of course it would break.

That is a great suggestion. I will put all these into practice.thanks ladies again.
Laura.x.:lol:

Latest posts

Back