Brush problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi guys, i have had a look through previous posts and cant find anything to help me answer my question. My brush (surmanti brand) seems to have like a hollow in the middle of the bistles, its doesnt actually, but the bristes wont shut down together to be smooth if that makes sense if you ook up the barell of it there is a gap in the middle , making it impossible to apply acrylic was wondering if anyone knew how to fix this? could take a pic if possible to explain, this brush isnt very old and hardly used.

A brush that splits is a nightmare!!!

Sometimes a brush splits because you are not using it on the side it wants to be used on, consistently.

You must never use a brush 'against the grain' so to speak. Every brush has 2 sides (one opposite the other) that it likes to be used. You can feel it when you use it and you can see it when the hairs all lay out nice and straight and flat. Many people who don't know how to use a brush tend to twist the brush in their fingers, getting the hairs kind of mixed up, and then the brush starts to split. Perhaps you have done this? I don't know your experience with using brushes.

How can you fix it? You may not be able to, but try this.

Dip your brush into hot hot water that has been recently boiled. Lay it against a paper towel and comb or brush the hairs out straight with something and get them all lying in the same direction. Dip again in the hot water and repeat. Dip again and then either squeeze the brush out flat (if you like to work that way) or taper to a point and let DRY completely (if you like to use your brush that way). I have 'fixed' many a brush for students this way.

After this try using the brush again and see how it goes. If it continues to split, I would return it for another if they will let you.

Thanks Gigi. I kept having the same problems with my brush and I couldnt work out why!! I was replacing a brush after a maximum of 5 nail applications. I used the method you outlined and IT WORKED! Now that I know what caused it I can prevent it from happening again!:)

So glad IT WORKED ... but don't be surprised ... my tips and tricks ALWAYS work!! :lol::lol: Welcome to the word of the nails geeks.

just bumping this up as it's a great tip... thanks geeg

A brush that splits is a nightmare!!!

Sometimes a brush splits because you are not using it on the side it wants to be used on, consistently.

You must never use a brush 'against the grain' so to speak. Every brush has 2 sides (one opposite the other) that it likes to be used. You can feel it when you use it and you can see it when the hairs all lay out nice and straight and flat. Many people who don't know how to use a brush tend to twist the brush in their fingers, getting the hairs kind of mixed

up, and then the brush starts to split. Perhaps you have done this? I don't know your experience with using brushes.

How can you fix it? You may not be able to, but try this.

Dip your brush into hot hot water that has been recently boiled. Lay it against a paper towel and comb or brush the hairs out straight with something and get them all lying in the same direction. Dip again in the hot water and repeat. Dip again and then either squeeze the brush out flat (if you like to work that way) or taper to a point and let DRY completely (if you like to use your brush that way). I have 'fixed' many a brush for students this way.

After this try using the brush again and see how it goes. If it continues to split, I would return it for another if they will let you.

Thank you sooo much! im having exactly the same problem so i am going to try this tip. I did the twisting thing too (slap on wrists)!!

Definitely going to try this as I have been through so many brushes already and have got so frustrated That I've actually stopped doing nails.. :(

Oh my!! I have just taken to my brushes with hot water and so far it's worked on 3 out of 4!! The one that didn't work, half fixed it, but its still looking a little ragged(my very first brush,very cheap!) but I think with one more try with hot water, this may just do the trick!! Can't thank you enough!!

Now, do you have any tips on what qualities a brush should have! Our college supplied us with cheap eBay brushes while we were learning but looking to get a brush of high quality that will last me a while, if not forever! and be easy to work with. Your advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi geeg
When you say use the brush on that side only and train your brush either to a point or flat sided. Do you mean that if I marked my brush with a dot on the furrel that dot would always be facing up so the hairs on my brush always stay the same?

xx

Latest posts

Back