Bubbles in the Gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EmmaJayne.

Reaction score
Well ... im fine with acrylics so thought, lets try gel.. SO Last night i did a full set and then everything seemed fine and then this morning there was bubbles in them ... how do you stop the airbubbles getting on them... sorry if ive worded this wrong ... i would like to see the benefits on gel as apposed to acrylics but to me acrylics are winning in my books!! please help and let me know how people dont get bubbles in their gels .. thankyou xxx

You have to be very gentle with the gel. DON't have your brush IN the gel, but on top. DON't pat it, but... kind of guide it and "stretch" it on place... Well, it's difficult to explain in English, but I hope it made sense. You should have someone to show you!

Thanks for your reply.. i did have someone show me and i asked her and she simply said "it comes with practise" so i practise .. and practise some more then i thought ..it HAS to be something im doing wrong rather than something im doing right but have to practise with ifyou get me ... thanks again for your reply i will have another bash.. is it dependant on how u take it out of the container before applying or does it happen when you apply? xx

Yes, you have to be careful when picking up the gel. DON't stir the gel before you pick it up. Hmmm... again, you should have someone to show you..:)

i always think of geegs signature with this sort of thing....'practice does not make perfect......perfect practice makes perfect'

Thanks for your reply.. i did have someone show me and i asked her and she simply said "it comes with practise" so i practise .. and practise some more then i thought ..it HAS to be something im doing wrong rather than something im doing right but have to practise with ifyou get me ... thanks again for your reply i will have another bash.. is it dependant on how u take it out of the container before applying or does it happen when you apply? xx

That sounds rather slack, how can you practise if you don't know what you are doing wrong. I hope you didn't pay for that advice :lol:

It's possible that you are either over working the product, or 'whipping' it up when you are picking up your bead of gel from the jar.

Sometimes new gel users find the gel 'stringy' to work with campared to L&P and therefore they kind of (hard to explain!!) pick up the gel on the brush and almost whip it like cream - this causes air bubbles

But yes, to get the best results, you need to do a gel course.

Gina x

The techniques used to apply gel are completely different to L&P so if you have not had a class, it will be difficult to master it on your own (like anything else really).

I think Cec put it quite well -- at least I understand exactly what she is saying -- but then I do know how to use gels. :lol:

Certainly at the building stage with gels, Keeping your brush on the top of the gel and moving it from the top is how you work it .... certainly not patting it or pressing it as you do with L&P. I could in many cases, apply gel with a toothpick if that makes any sense to you. Place the tooth pick on the top and stretch the gel to where I want it... only do that with the point of your brush.

Other layers you can brush into place gently.
Doing a class only makes good sense to anyone who wants to get on more rapidly than trying to learn by the 'seat of your pants'. Trial and error is such a bad way to learn anything when you can get help. Trouble with trial and error is that it is all trial and all error.

See below for the definition of failure!! lol

thanks all for your reply.. i have had a class in gel acrylic and fibreglass and im now qualified to do them all, i dont feel as though they really taught much of the gel though. I really mastered the acrylic in the end and now love doing that... but then when i came to gel she was like its basically practise what will make you used to the product. ill have another go with it and try to use everyones advice thanks again everyone for taking your time to reply. I do do the whipping because i found it stringy as you said so next time im going to avoid doing that. Personally i feel that if i was "trained propper/qualified" then i wouldnt be having problems like this. I think they should have spent more time and a few other people on my course feel the same. I feel a bit inadiquet at gel if im being honest. i know i can do it but i need to been taught the right procedure as they didnt teach it correctly..
As well she told me to do 3 layers and cure each layer.. then do the finish clear... so this is what i was doing and between each layer remover the sticky layer... is this correct? thankyou sorry to sound like i dont know what im doing but with gel.. i feel like i dont really x

Perhaps a class with the company that supplies the gel you are using then?

We all know how woefully inadequate most college teaching is in general(not all thank God) with people teaching who don't even know the job themselves! :rolleyes: It is pretty clear that although you have 'qualified' you are not qualified not confident which means ... more training of a higher caliber. College qualified is only the bare minimum standard. It is not the end it is just the beginning.

I wasnt at college it was with (apparently) a fully qualified trainer we spent about a week with them learning the differnt stuff then made portfolios etc and then that was it.. i know i can do acrylics now its just a few problems with the gel. I use nsi products and the courses are like £500 i think!! i can do the gels its just i didnt know why i was getting bubbles but i think i do now. thanks x

I wasnt at college it was with (apparently) a fully qualified trainer we spent about a week with them learning the differnt stuff then made portfolios etc and then that was it.. i know i can do acrylics now its just a few problems with the gel. I use nsi products and the courses are like £500 i think!! i can do the gels its just i didnt know why i was getting bubbles but i think i do now. thanks x

I think you have been HAD as they say.

NSI has conversion classes that I'M SURE ARE NO WHERE NEAR 500.00. But if you think you 'can do them' as you put it, then great.
Guess you wont ever need any more trainig than your original 5 days for all 3 systems. (and pigs can fly too!! :green:)

Im sorry, i thought this was a problem webiste? i did not once say i didnt need any more training did i? or have i read what i wrote wrong? ... I am doing the best i can with the training ive had and im sorry that you feel the need to try and put that down.if it makes you feel better then go ahead. i was simply asking a question about 1 problem ive had on a forum which is meant to help people that have the odd problem.. excuse me if that was wrong of me.. maybe you should go and put eveyone else down for the problems their having and let them know their training was inadequate because of that one probelm.. 5 days... 3 years...10years... everything comes with experience i do not believe for one minuate you mastered everything straight away so please do not act like you did.

Im sorry, i thought this was a problem webiste? i did not once say i didnt need any more training did i? or have i read what i wrote wrong? ... I am doing the best i can with the training ive had and im sorry that you feel the need to try and put that down.if it makes you feel better then go ahead. i was simply asking a question about 1 problem ive had on a forum which is meant to help people that have the odd problem.. excuse me if that was wrong of me.. maybe you should go and put eveyone else down for the problems their having and let them know their training was inadequate because of that one probelm.. 5 days... 3 years...10years... everything comes with experience i do not believe for one minuate you mastered everything straight away so please do not act like you did.

I didn't put you down .. in fact I gave you more help than anyone else actually.

What makes me feel better is when people say thankyou for all your help or yes, good advice etc etc rather than to say, YEA YEA I can do them when clearly you stated that you felt inadequate and that you had not had good training, which I AGREE WITH YOU.

You got the help you needed which is what this site is for, AND WHY I HANG OUT HERE. If agreeing with everything you said about your own training and ability is putting you down then see it that way if you want. You said it all first.

But if you think you 'can do them' as you put it, then great.
Guess you wont ever need any more trainig than your original 5 days for all 3 systems. (and pigs can fly too!!)

to me thats putting me down... as youve stated ive put i think i can do them... then haver gone on to say "guess you wont need anymore training than your origional 5 days" which is OBVIUOUSLY sarcastic. i didnt come onto this sit to make enimies infact the opposite i wanted to meet people working in the industry and for them to hlep if a problem arrised. I wouldnt mind doing mroe training but i feel that i am able to work with l+p well and then i had 1 problem with the gel and your basically slating my training. ive said the training i had wasnt enough on the gels but your being sarcastic about it making it sound like 5 days training isnt enough. ive read a lot of people on here who had been on courses less that that.

adding pigs can fly too is an in your face sarcasm as everyone knows pigs cant fly so you are insinuating that i cant do all 3 nail systems when in actual fact i can. it was just one probelm.. everyone has problems right?

Calm down. You really aren't making yourself look good. I deliberately put a smiley on the post so you would know I WAS MEANING IT IN AN AMUSING TONE .. but I guess that got lost on you in your desire to defend yourself. If I was being sarcastic I would have put the rolling eye icon. I actually thought you would agree with me as you a had said everything yourself first.

Now I can either delete all these posts (because they should all be pm's and not posted on the main forum - see the site rules) or you can pm me direct if feel you have a personal problem with me.

Maybe this should be a pm too but I just wanted to say thay after a couple of run ins with Gigi (sorry Gigi) I am getting to understand her humor (if that's the right word to use).

I think that what Gigi is trying to say, correct me if I'm wrong, is that no matter how many years you've been in the industry for, you are still learning every day.

Maybe I should've continued reading this thread before I replyed, but I just couldn't. To me, this is a website in order to learn. It's another tool in order to better our craft. Just like all of the other tools we have out there. (Shows, classes, etc.)

I left a message board not too long ago because there were people who thought they needed no more training and they would bash on others instead of just helping them with their own advice. Or if they disagreed with someone else, they would put them down and basically argue with them like this person did on this thread.

I'm not going to name names because I'm not involved in this conversation, I just wanted to let everyone know that this type of behavior runs off newer nail techs who really need this type of outlet.

So please everyone be mindful about what they say and how they say it. It's ok to be proud of your knowledge, but when you come off harshly, it pushes those who need it away. And if someone voices that they feel attacked, it's just more grown up to just apologize and move on to the next thread.

And that's my two cents.

As this thread is about bubbles in gel and the question has been answered, I believe and the poster is happy she can now go off and solve her problems, I think it can be closed. If anyone wishes to start a new thread on forum etiquette and how we should all behave and speak then feel free to post it in the chit chat forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back