Building an apex with Calgel!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ginalhaytonxx

Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips on how to do an Apex with calgel? I can do t with acrylic bit with gel it just ends up flat! Help! X

The only thing I could say is doing one finger at a time before it levels. When I was trained they showed me the sausage technique. One length down then middle and then caressing it to either side. Hth x

Hi like Wendywoo said do the sausage then tell your client to turn there finger upside down for a few seconds then flip back over then into the lamp.

Hi like Wendywoo said do the sausage then tell your client to turn there finger upside down for a few seconds then flip back over then into the lamp.

Oooo didn't know the upside down bit. Thanks for that! X

I do the sausages but it goes flat lol! I used to be able to do it and now i can't for some reason! I think I've just got used to acrylics! Will try the finger upside down, thanks :) x

Any other tips? X

Like the others have said, apply a 'sausage' of Calgel to one nail, tease it outwards, then straight into the lamp, working on one nail at a time! Calgel is just so runny that if you try to do several nails at a time, the first one(s) will flatten out - drives me crazy.

I must admit, I took on a second gel system (CND Brisa) for this reason, as it stays where you put it: you could literally put a bead or sausage shape of Brisa on a nail and leave it for ages, and there it would be, exactly as you left it! Makes building apexes a dream.

I've found it's great to have 2 gel systems to offer, especially as Brisa is hypoallergenic and doesn't yellow like Calgel does. xx

I was thinking of trying brisa gel so might look into it! :) yea the sausages go really flat it's so annoying! Could you freeze cure each finger then cure them all when you've finished? X

Yes you could do, but you need to be really careful not to overcure the Calgel - it yellows really quickly and looks nasty. :(

Wow is that a known fact regarding Calgel ? Not heard much about it but didnt realise it was prone to going Yellow if over cured....

It was covered on my training with Izabelle Hammon actually - apparently there is a purple colour you can order that can be added in small quantities to the clear gel to help counteract the yellowing if you want to.

Ibd have a brightner top coat also I have used both ibd and galgel brightner, with both product you just apply like a topcoat and the yellow just disappers, I also sell it to customer whos Acyrlic or gel starts to yellow and they dont like it. The sun yellows it too

I think yellowing's a fairly common side-effect of many systems, but there are often ways around it.

The lack of yellowing is one of the things that surprised me the most about Brisa gel, and one if the reasons I love it so much... I'm pretty lazy, so if a product doesn't need me to do anything to stop it yellowing, I'm a happy bunny! :)

Is this also called Logging? Where you place the gel at the cuticle and then kind of 'jump' it up the nail. If that makes any sense at all?!?!

half cure them upside down, this forms it's own apex (do a certain degree)

I don't use calgel anymore, gave up on it lol..

Latest posts

Back