Burning glue

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beauty&Brunette

Reaction score
Was a bit clumsy this morning and spilt my nail glue on to my couch roll and towel. However its started burning and went really hot - it also started to make my eyes burn. Does anyone know what would cause this??
I use NSI glue x

Well, glues have quite a bit of solvents and chemicals in them. I find when I'm using my glue, it makes my eyes water as well. And the times I've gotten it on my skin, it got hot too.

I just remove it with acetone. Who knows how bad that is for my skin, but it gets it off. Then I rinse with cold water.

I get stingy eyes from time to time with my adhesive - always thought it was just the fumes? xx

The fumes from the adhesive always cause my eyes to water.

Cyanoacrylate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From Wikipedia:

"Applying cyanoacrylate to materials made of cotton or wool (such as cotton swabs, cotton balls, and certain yarns or fabrics) results in a powerful, rapid exothermic reaction. The heat released may cause minor burns, and if enough cyanoacrylate is used, the reaction is capable of igniting the cotton product, as well as releasing irritating vapor in the form of white smoke.

Material Safety Data Sheets for cyanoacrylate instruct users not to wear cotton or wool clothing, especially cotton gloves, when applying or handling cyanoacrylates."

So please try to avoid spilling nail glue on the couch roll unless you want to set the salon on fire!!!

Cyanoacrylate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From Wikipedia:

"Applying cyanoacrylate to materials made of cotton or wool (such as cotton swabs, cotton balls, and certain yarns or fabrics) results in a powerful, rapid exothermic reaction. The heat released may cause minor burns, and if enough cyanoacrylate is used, the reaction is capable of igniting the cotton product, as well as releasing irritating vapor in the form of white smoke.

Material Safety Data Sheets for cyanoacrylate instruct users not to wear cotton or wool clothing, especially cotton gloves, when applying or handling cyanoacrylates."

So please try to avoid spilling nail glue on the couch roll unless you want to set the salon on fire!!!

Oh my goodness!!! I too spilt some tip adhesive on my desk towel at a client's house and thought we were all going up in smoke! Very scarey I have to admit - this information is well worth knowing, thank you Ruth! :hug:

I wear finger wraps and mad the mistake years ago of getting some glue on it .. All of a sudden I felt a tremendous heat on my finger and the wrap stuck to it :-(. Never did it again -LOL

Last edited:
There have been people who have spilt adhesive on their jeans and needed a skin graft following the severe burn! They couldn't get their jeans off quickly enough.

There have been people who have spilt adhesive on their jeans and needed a skin graft following the severe burn! They couldn't get their jeans off quickly enough.

I did this when I was 18! The jeans stuck to my thigh and when I pulled them off they ripped! I couldn't have got them off any faster than I did and the pain was horrific. I didn't get any medical treatment but really should have luckily I just have a small scar about the size of a 50p that looks like melted skin. Be careful geeks :) x

I registered on this forum for the sole purpose of chiming in (even though the thread is nine years old - sorry!):
I recently -- as in just a few minutes ago -- spilled nail glue on my jeans, and within seconds it got incredibly HOT. Apparently it's a chemical reaction: nail glue + certain materials (such as cotton and denim) = VERY hot glue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back